Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cam selection help?

Post Thanks / Like

Cam selection help?

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot; I didn't see a forum that this really fit in to...

I picked up a '90 Mustang LX 5.0 drivetrain donor and nabbed the engine, T5, and 8.8" rear. I happened to luck into a set of GT40P heads that are currently at the machine shop for a three-angle valve job, clean-up, milling, and a few other things. I also traded the wheels that came off the Mustang for the earlier Explorer/GT40 intake setup. I'm planning on running the '90 bottom-end if it all looks good, but now I'm down to cam selection. I need to pick a cam, cause from the cam choice I can determine what rockers, valvesprings, and other valvetrain hardware I need to pick up for the GT40Ps.

My goal is to not go overboard; I'm not building a world-beater. The Type 65 will be a fun street car. Since the heads and intake setup are roughly equivalent to decently-ported E7 heads and factory Mustang intake, I figured picking a cam that was aimed at slightly worked heads would do well. I'd have no problems doing the Explorer 65mm throttle body if necessary, but again, I'd like to not go too crazy.

People seem to like the E303 and B303, but I hear a good bit of negative about those cams too. I called AFM and asked for some specs on their cams, but they refused to give me exact information about their cams' lift/duration/LSA/etc. However, they did suggest their N31.

I called Comp Cams and spent a good amount of time on the phone with them. They suggested the XE270HR, P/N 35-351-8. It seems like this might be a pretty good fit, but I'd like to know what folks are doing for their 5.0 cams these days, and hopefully with setups close to mine.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Trick Flow Stage 1.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same set up as you except I am running a carb. I installed valves springs from Alexsparts.com and a B can last night. It all depends on what your end goals are. But typically the stock valve springs on the gt40p can't handle much more lift than stock cam, so plan on changing them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know what the GT40 heads can handle, but I chose the E303 to be able to stay with my stock heads/rockers on my 302. The cam was an easy swap, and an inexpensive job too. Both cams stay within the capabilities of stock heads. My reason is I want to get the rumble of the cobra, but I want to keep things simple on the drive train when beginning.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    The comp selection or similar should get you where you are wanting to go the intake is going to limit the rpm you can turn anyways.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I'm kinda liking the AFM B-31 too. It's very similar to the Comp grinds I like, but with a few more degrees of duration on the exhaust side and a good bit more lift. Yea or nay?

Post Thanks / Like
    The Comp Cams XE270HR is a great cam as is the Trick Flow Stage 1. Both should work with your heads / valve springs and give a nice boost in performance over the stock cam. I currently run the TF Stage 1 in my motor.
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like i'm going with the 114 LSA version of the XE270HR and Comp's springs/retainers/locks. Their tech support has been top-shelf. Thank you all.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jtolbert View Post
    It looks like i'm going with the 114 LSA version of the XE270HR and Comp's springs/retainers/locks. Their tech support has been top-shelf. Thank you all.
    I've been using Comp Cams Products since I was 19 and am now 54.
    My MK-4 has their XE284 flat tappet, but it is a totally different engine; however, I really like their dual pattern designs.
    They seem to broaden & flatten the torque curve so I'm sure you will be pleased with your choice.
    Good Luck!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-16-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you all feel about cleaning up and re-using factory lifters? It looks like there shouldn't be any issues...If they were flat-tappet lifters I would just buy new ones, but if the rollers are good I don't see why rebuilding the factory ones should be an issue.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jtolbert View Post
    How do you all feel about cleaning up and re-using factory lifters? It looks like there shouldn't be any issues...If they were flat-tappet lifters I would just buy new ones, but if the rollers are good I don't see why rebuilding the factory ones should be an issue.
    I can't comment about re-using roller lifters.
    Sorry, but this is outside of my mechanical knowledge wheel house.