BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Door hinges,latches and strikers

Post Thanks / Like

Door hinges,latches and strikers

Is there a difference between the front and rear hinges,latches and strikers on the acceptable donors?
    I need to pick up both left and right for my build.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have all four from my donor and I can't see any difference between the fronts and rears. IIRC the manual says to use the rears.

They're yours if you want mine... I couldn't find them when I was mounting my doors so I bought a set on ebay. I'm near Qualcomm stadium.

Post Thanks / Like
    i think they both work i used rear forester door hinges. latches and inner door handles and they worked great just needed to take the electric child lock mechanism off i still have fronts if you need some.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to Hijack tuna, but I need Latches and maybe strikers if someone has an extra set. Forgot the set when I scrapped out the car!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NBinSD View Post
    I have all four from my donor and I can't see any difference between the fronts and rears. IIRC the manual says to use the rears.

They're yours if you want mine... I couldn't find them when I was mounting my doors so I bought a set on ebay. I'm near Qualcomm stadium.
    Hey thanks, not in a hurry to get them so when ever it's convenient.
    By the way, will you be going to Huntington Beach?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Hey thanks, not in a hurry to get them so when ever it's convenient.
    By the way, will you be going to Huntington Beach?
    I'm around most weekends & evenings so whenever you want to swing by they're yours. Not sure if I have the strikers or just hinges, i'll have to check the garage tonight. I'm sure I don't have the door latches.

No plans to go to HB... I was under the impression there weren't really any 818's there in previous years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. I may go to the pick your part with my son this weekend (40% off) their website shows that they have an 04 Forester, but my son told me the last time he was there he didn't see any Subarus.

AZPete said he's bringing his coupe. Last year there was two 818's there. The year before there wasn't any. It would be nice to see 4 or 5 there this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to see AZPete's car... such a sweet looking build, his interior alone would be worth the drive to HB to see.

Last year I thought I could push hard, get a bunch done and maybe drive it to HB... a year later I'm in the same boat but I know better now.

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure to take larger philips screwdrivers, hammer, better yet an impact driver. Those door latch philips screws often come out with a fight. Walked away from one at LKQ pick-a-part not too long ago - wouldn't budge with a "manual" hammer-impact tool. Next time I went back, same tool still didn't get it. But incredibly, the little (smallest one they make) DeWalt battery 1/4" drive hammer drill got it loose. I probably wasn't using the hammer style impact tool correctly. Best part of the DeWalt - no smashed fingers, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear ya, I'm in the same boat. Not even a roller yet, thought I'd be able to get to a roller and trailer it up, I still could do it but for lack of tires. Lol. I don't have any donor tires to roll it around and I'm not willing to buy new tires to put on my wheels just to roll it on a trailer yet.

Here's a link I started to find out who will go....http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...621#post271621

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquillen View Post
    Make sure to take larger philips screwdrivers, hammer, better yet an impact driver. Those door latch philips screws often come out with a fight. Walked away from one at LKQ pick-a-part not too long ago - wouldn't budge with a "manual" hammer-impact tool. Next time I went back, same tool still didn't get it. But incredibly, the little (smallest one they make) DeWalt battery 1/4" drive hammer drill got it loose. I probably wasn't using the hammer style impact tool correctly. Best part of the DeWalt - no smashed fingers, etc.
    Ha ha Smashed fingers are part of the "experience " aren't they? both my son and I have our u-pick tool bag, though my son is a pro when it comes to junk yards. Makes a dad proud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just checked my donor parts bin. I have the rear hinges from both sides and and the strikers with their screws. They're yours if you want to come get them.

IMG_20170316_152503.jpg

IMG_20170316_152446.jpg

IMG_20170316_152435.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Something you may want to consider is making a set of extended strikers. I had no luck adjusting my door while keeping the door from rubbing the jamb and still latching properly. I finally made a set (took a couple of tries) that were .188 longer than the originals, and welded them to flat plates with same hole spacing. This allowed me ample room to move the door forward a little bit and still have a properly functional latch. I found that using flat plates allowed an extra .06 or so of clearance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NBinSD View Post
    Just checked my donor parts bin. I have the rear hinges from both sides and and the strikers with their screws. They're yours if you want to come get them.

IMG_20170316_152503.jpg

IMG_20170316_152446.jpg

IMG_20170316_152435.jpg
    Fantastic, I'll be sending you a PM .

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi: Anybody finding it difficult to install the 818 doors to get proper alignment/fit? Tried the paint stick trick and still no joy. Capt. Bill