Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Distraction Gone

Post Thanks / Like

Distraction Gone

Well, got a major distraction taken care of, so I can focus on the MkIV. Son's 2008 Mustang C/S has an Edlebrock E Force supercharger on it. He got an appointment to get the airbags replaced under recall. The tech took the car back, disconnected the battery and then noticed the supercharger, I know, but it happened. Told my son, he would need the tuner, since he need to flash the computer. Hook the battery back up and the engine would not rev, drive by wire throttle. Dealer drove him to his house to get tuner, pulled the tune, reloaded stock, flash, no luck. Trip back to the house the get USB cord to plug tuner into lap top. Get Brenspeed tech on the line for about 45 minutes, no luck. Then I get the call. Bring the trailer and haul it to the barn. Get a battery for the winch, tie downs in the box, etc. 20 mile drive, to find my ramps are too steep for his front or rear to load. Call a roll back, wait 1 hour and 40 minutes. $135 later, at the barn with a dead car. Communicate with Edelbrock and Brenspeed numerous times. Edelbrock, out of warranty no help. They had a history on the internet with bad throttle bodies, still no help. Brenspeed hung in there and offered to intercede with Edelbrock or help with the price if we had to buy a new throttle body, good people. Bought a new throttle body motor $50, no fix. I pulled the throttle body and decided I would either fix it or break it. I polished the bore where the blade touches with valve lapping compund, no help. Lubed the shaft, no help. Polished the edges of the butterfly, no help. Put the stock motor back on, really grabbing for straws here, same story. I was about to put some notches in the spring control to reduce the spring tension, when I decided I would trespass on the throttle body stop. It was so loose, it would have eventually fallen out. It had a dab of torque marking on the body and stop screw. I ran it in until they line up, plugged the wiring up on the car and presto the blade cycled and I could see the finish line. A short trip to where my MkIV project sits, picking up some blue locktite and torque stripe, 4 bolts, 2 wiring hookups, 2 hoses and all is good.
    I CAN FOCUS ON THE MKIV AGAIN!
    Another good thing happened, I spoke with Mike Forte. He sent me a quote on my engine and drive line.
    When a few other things fall into place, I will be calling Mike.
    Thanks, for listening, car people listen better.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Railroad,

I Totally Get The Distractions Thing!

During the past year, we've lowered our son's car, changed the wheels and tires, installed adjustable struts and shocks, added a cold air system, opened things up with 3" Hooker Aero Chamber Exhaust and ditched the converter in the process. Then we played with the CPU and now it eats my C-4 Corvette (1995 / LT1) until I get into 3rd gear. Not bad for a 2000 V-6 Camaro (3.8 Litre) so now he wants to do a rear mounted turbo so that he owns the 1/4 mile with his Nazalie Sounding, V/6, Too Cool For School, Taco Bell Chalupa Getter!

With all those distractions I've advised him that nothing happens until the Cobra is finished and he's through his 1st year of college. I've got a family too and like you they come first.

Have A Great Build & You Are On Your Way!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-16-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, I've been on here since 2011 - the first year I decided I'd pull the trigger on an FFR.

Er.. 6 years later and the order is in. So, yes, damn distractions! We've moved city twice, had two kids through college, five jobs and one lawsuit.. and not a fun car distraction any in there! Needless to say, I'm ready to settle down with some greasy problems..
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes those distractions. Remember them well. The first Cobra I ever saw was in a showroom in Walnut Creek, CA. The year was 1967. My dream and love affair started at that moment. As I recall it carried a retail price around $6500.00. A small fortune to a 18 fresh out of high school. I carried pictures of Cobras during 2 tours of duty in Vietnam, and have had framed pictures of of them on my walls of ever home since. Distractions, some of them wonderful like raising 2 beautiful daughters, 50 years of employment that has us living in several parts of the country, and life in general.
    But my love, desire and fascination of the Cobra never dimmed. And now in my garage my dream is coming true with the delivery last month of my FFR #9023 complete kit. Thank you Factory Five Racing for keeping the dream alive long enough for myself and so many others who share this love affair and have found time I their lives to live the dream.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. Great story. Keep us posted on your dream project and thank you for your service.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    And thanks to everyone on this forum for their willingness to lend support and advise so easily. I have only been building for 3 weeks but would be a week behind without all of the build threads that have all experience and solutions.