FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: NYC Marathon for Team Boomer, cystic fibrosis patients

Post Thanks / Like

NYC Marathon for Team Boomer, cystic fibrosis patients

Just FYI if you'd care to support a good cause along the lines of Team Jenny. I've lost two siblings to CF and have set a goal to run the NYC marathon this fall and raise as much as I can doing it. Let the training begin!

https://secure.e2rm.com/registrant/F...3960#&panel1-2
    Tax deductible of course.
    Last edited by Joe Campbell; 07-21-2017 at 07:49 PM.

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Joe,

I ran the marathon here in Boston in 2001 for my daughter Jenny and for kids with CF. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life and the people I ran with were exceptional and inspirational. We raised a ton of money for CF research. My heart breaks for the loss of your two siblings and I think it's really cool for you to do this. Not easy!

I also met Boomer at Celebrity Ski in 2001 where his foundation donated over a million dollars to the CF Foundation. Call me Monday or anytime next week and maybe FFR can help spread the word about your Marathon attempt. Dave Smith
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much Dave, I will give you a call Monday. Boomer was a big hero to my little brother, who was a serious sports fanatic. We'll get to meet him at the pre-race dinner. I'm told they have 80 runners in this year's race, and if everyone beats the minimum fundraising requirement it'll net over a quarter million for the foundation. I'm already off to a good start.

I'm a casual distance runner, I've only done one full marathon in the past, but have done dozens of halfs. I'll be doing the local Teton Dam Marathon in June as part of my training plan. I'm no speed-demon, couldn't qualify for running Boston, but I've been humbled by all of the support my friends and family are showing so I'm going to try my best to break the 4-hour mark at NYC!

Post Thanks / Like
    Up to 20 miles ramping up on my training runs, with my 'dress rehearsal' event, the Teton Dam Marathon coming up on June 3. I'm more than a third of the way along on my fundraising goal.

May is Cystic Fibrosis Awareness month. Link is above if y'all would like to throw in for a great cause!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just in time to start my final phase of training for the NYC 26.2.... Team Boomer sent out training shirts for all of the team members running to fight CF on Nov. 5. There's still time to chip in if you'd like, I'll welcome all the support I can get!

https://secure.e2rm.com/registrant/F...3960#&panel1-2

Attachment 70901
    Last edited by Joe Campbell; 07-23-2017 at 11:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, 2017 was such a blast, I've decided to join Team Boomer again this year for the NYC Marathon. I've taken part in endurance runs around the country, but none of them held a candle to NYC, running through all five boroughs with more than a million spectators lining almost the entire route (other than the bridges) and cheering you on. Might have to get a minor scope meniscus repair done after some early training runs this year, but it'll be worth it!

If you feel like helping sponsor my Team Boomer effort on behalf of Perrin and Becky, my brother and sister who fought epic battles against CF through their lives and taught me what courage and persistence are all about, your help will be more than welcome.

https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campa...sephcampbell21

Post Thanks / Like
    So anyway, 2019 didn't work, I ended up tearing my meniscus on my last long training run that October. Then Covid killed the entire event in 2020, but on Sunday I'm going for it again for my bro and sis and all of the patients and families hit by C.F..... 26.2 or bust!

FB_IMG_1636084008319.jpg

https://p2p.onecause.com/nycm21/joseph-campbell-3
    FFR7859 - graduated 5/16/16; '11 Mustang 5.0 'vert; '93 Mustang Notch; '98 F150; 4760 build website; FFR-3144 rebuild