Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dont be tempted by the pop-rivet goddess....

Post Thanks / Like

Dont be tempted by the pop-rivet goddess....

there is nothing like a good screw!

Too many times on this 818 I have been tempted to slap something together with a pop-rivet and call it done. Sometimes it is the solution, but dont always reach for the rivets, even if it means more work pilot drilling, clecoing, take apart, tap holes or drill and install riv-nuts. Having panels that un-screw are your friends and you WILL likely take them off more than once, even when you think they are in to stay.

that is all.
    Last edited by ben1272; 03-18-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hear Hear! My front firewall, side cockpit aluminum, and modified tunnel aluminum (top cut off, rear cut off for firewall removable) are the only things I riveted and consider permanent. Much better for service and maintenance.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Hear Hear! My front firewall, side cockpit aluminum, and modified tunnel aluminum (top cut off, rear cut off for firewall removable) are the only things I riveted and consider permanent. Much better for service and maintenance.
    Exactly the same here. It is a kit, it will get tinkered with a lot

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do not forget you can use a 10/32 drill/tap and avoid having to use rivets in most cases.

Post Thanks / Like
    So are you still using silicone when using screws instead of rivets?

Post Thanks / Like
    Use of Silicone depends on whether you want/need the panels extra contribution in shear, and/or sealing requirements. My guess is (and it is just a guess) that most of the aluminum panels do not add much to the welded structure. I would be curious to hear if Factory Five would comment on whether they feel they are necessary to achieve acceptable structural strength.

If you want the silicone just for sealing, I would consider using a foam/silicone tape rather than bonding the panel with RTV silicone. They would be hard to get off if using RTV. Can always use screws during construction and convert to rivets/silicone once confident that dis-assembly wont be needed again soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea I get that. Fwiw, and IMHO, it think that the front firewall, dead pedals, and side panels should be riveted. The rear fire wall and center tunnel screwed in. Radiator shroud, fender metal, bottom metal, probably riveted not sure.
    What panels are everyone definitely using screws for, and which definitely riveted?

Post Thanks / Like
    I respectfully disagree. For alum. panels that one might imagine removing, it is probably easier to drill out and replace a rivet than to drill and mount a rivnut. and, you are removing much less steel from the frame member (less weakening of the part).

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think anyone is saying to replace each rivet with a rivnut, but rather to drill and tap the the frame for say a 10/32 or smaller. Keeps the hole smaller than a rivenut yet easily to remove. Your right to say that it's just as easy to drill out and replace a rivet most of the panels are in that category. There are those panels like the rear firewall that are no brainers to be installed with screws. It's the in between ones ( ones that rarely if ever that get removed) that are in question. Good luck removing a panel that's been riveted with silicone without damaging the panel. Just saying.
    Having an idea of which panels that could be removed for maintenance would save some headaches down the road.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I mostly install body panels and any panel that would allow easier access to repairs with 10/32 screws. I do not silicone body panels but i do the aluminum panels. JM2CW.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Good luck removing a panel that's been riveted with silicone without damaging the panel. Just saying.
    Tap a razor blade from a box-cutter through followed by some piano wire and pop it out like a windshield.

Obviously it's a PITA but that's why this thread exists, though to be honest I'm not sure how often or even why anyone is ever removing side and front cockpit aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like
    These last two posts say it all!
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    In my original post I was only trying to say that on occasion it may seem expedient to reach for and use the pop-rivet, but often taking the extra few minutes to tap or use riv-nut can pay dividends many times. Not to change the subject, but I am also glad that I have taken the time to nicely clean and often paint the used parts that I have put on the 818 from the donor. It makes a huge difference in how the car looks when finished, but it slows progress. Just saying, take the time do it 'right' the first time and make the car as nice as you can. You'll be glad you did.
    Last edited by ben1272; 03-21-2017 at 03:31 PM.