Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Edelbrock Performer/thunder AVS Blues (1806)

Post Thanks / Like

Edelbrock Performer/thunder AVS Blues (1806)

My professionally built 331 came with The Edelborck #1806. The engine is 10 to 1 compression, edelbrock performer RPM heads, AIr Gap Intake and comp cams.
    It started and idled fine before I did my first go cart. THen when I did my first go kart, I noticed that it would die when I stopped and also would not idle as well as it had. I replaced the elec choke hat cause I found that it was not releasing all the way, the new one has about 1/4 more travel. Then I followed the Edel instructions and adjusted the float drop and close adjustments as per their spec.

That go kart was 11 months ago and I now have the body on ready for paint. Same issues.

I am gonna check the fule pressure and purge the fuel just in case, I am crossing my fingers eyes and toes. WHo knows.

If I invest in a new carb it will probably be a Quick Fuel, as they are on the opposite end of the spectrum as the Edel, which has all bad reviews, and wherein the QF has all good reviews.

The Culprit !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mcwho; 03-20-2017 at 07:24 PM. Reason: forgot to add pic
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it sat for 11 months, I could just be bad fuel, or a gummed up carb. Did you put fuel stabilizer in it?
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, but I have only put 2 to 3 gallons at a time time in the tank. The fuel that is in there now is no more than 3 months old, but I am gonna purge it anyhow. no stabilizer though. I will use that lso next fuel I get.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcwho View Post
    Yes, but I have only put 2 to 3 gallons at a time time in the tank. The fuel that is in there now is no more than 3 months old, but I am gonna purge it anyhow. no stabilizer though. I will use that lso next fuel I get.
    Pop the top on the carb and you will likely find that you may have some varnish in the bottom of the fuel wells.
    The primary jets are in the middle of the carb and you may have some goo in the idle circuits of the carb if you see varnish in the bowls.
    If you do you will likely need to remove the carb to clean everything out, including the air/fuel ratio idle screws in the front of the carb.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-19-2017 at 09:25 PM.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO with todays fuels you are asking for problems with a carb. I use FI on all my builds now that I build the engine. I personally had too many problems with the ethanol fuels. I started using ethanol free fuel in my home lawn care equipment and have zero trouble as I was always having difficulty starting before. Just my 2-cents worth. All my FI cars are easy to start and run fine every time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are the NON ethanol fuels that are Available around here any better ?
    Last edited by mcwho; 03-20-2017 at 04:49 PM.
    Baghdad Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcwho View Post
    Are the NON ethanol fuels that are vailable around here any better ?
    McWho!

If you pull the carb apart and see WHITE CRUD in the bottom of the bowls/wells, then your carb is a victim of Ethanol blended fuel.
    You can run up to 10% ethanol if with minimal damage to your carburetor, but it can't sit for any extended length of time.
    Ethanol by nature absorbs any moisture that is in the tank because of it's atomic make up. (CH3CH2OH)
    It is why you can use Methanol to remove water from the tank as well. (CH3OH)
    The product (HEET) helps get the water out of tank, but I don't think you can run it all the time.

Steve >>>---> (Wrench Swinging Banker Geek)
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-20-2017 at 11:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    BLACK GRIT !!

The Crud in the Bowls is black and feels like grit. As long as I have the top off I am gonna check the floats for clearance and drop.

This is what it looks like. Not what I had expected. This engine has 2 fuel filters, one is a in line by the mech fuel pump, and the other is a Russell, just before the fitting that goes into the carb.

I am gonna drain all the fuel and look at it.
    Last edited by mcwho; 03-20-2017 at 03:16 PM.
    Baghdad Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    That is not too bad. Start adding Stabil with each fill up.
    I have a couple of high performance cars. Speaking with guys up the chain from me, they recommend Sunoco 1st then BP 2nd.
    I also buy canned gasoline, non ethanol, non oxygenated, 96 octane, VP fuel. Sunoco sells canned fuel also. Depending upon your mileage, you will know whether you want to run it or not. I pay about $50 for a 5 gallon can. I usually blend the canned with pump gas to insure the octane of whats in the tank. Some side plus's are how the engines crank, run and mpg. I still have some ethanol in the tank, but less and the engines are fuel injected and tuned for 10% ethanol. For my carbed engines I add Stabil, some prefer Sea Foam. VP sells small engine fuel, mixed and straight, leaded and unleaded, you pick the octane. The canned gas I use has an in tank life of something like 2 years, the Vintage fuels are good for 5 years. I highly recommend canned VP or Sunoco, a little partial to VP. I hope you will try some, if just out of curiosity. It will spoil you and find it difficult to go back to the trash we buy at the pump. Good luck,
    Last edited by Railroad; 03-20-2017 at 04:03 PM.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    A mechanic here in town said stay with the Major Brands like Shell, Mobil, EXXON etc, stay away from Speedway and the likes. Don't know what the diff is but have been using Shell in the cars and everything. There is a WAWA here that sells NON-Ethanol. I used a 5 Gal Jerry can to fill the car, I am wondering if it was in there. I did buy a NEW Jerry for car fillups recently.
    Baghdad Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to have to start a new thread because I can clearly see that I have "Junk in the Fuel". I cant blame the carburetor for that, but with 2 filters, where does it come from?

THis Morning I carefully siphoned the fuel that was left in the carb bowl, it is a tan color and of various sizes.

see attached
    Last edited by mcwho; 03-21-2017 at 08:37 AM.
    Baghdad Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sorry McWho!

I figured this was going to be the case.
    The good news is you know what the problem is plus you know how to fix it.
    Pull the carb, clean it out really well including the idle mixture screws on the front of the carburetor.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-21-2017 at 09:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The carb is all apart, I have it cleaned and removed the jets, blew out the idle circuit with air. Was reading up on posts elsewhere where folks have cleaned the bowls with MEK and CLR. Opinions.

I have a dremel with a small buffer I am trying to make the inside of the bowls shiny with.
    Baghdad Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just use Chemtool to clean them out.

If you use the spray instead of soaking it in the solution, then make sure you wear eye protection.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-22-2017 at 06:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, Its ready to test, All I need now is some Teflon tape, and some new clean prmium fuel with stabilizer in it. Got a New Fuel filter and a Fuel pressure guage. THe guage is only gonna be there temporarily. The clear filter by the fuel pump is gone, and I have removed the sintered bronze final filter as well due to speculation that it was dissolving, don't know and also that its is for engine which are less that 300 hp according to web site.

I carefully adjusted the floats and they are very accurate now.
    Last edited by mcwho; 03-23-2017 at 11:42 AM.
    Baghdad Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Its all back together

It runs very well now. Started with the normal 1 1/2 turns out on idle circuit seems to run a little better at 1 3/4 on both sides. will tinker with that a bit more later.

My Options for fuel are:

Shell 93 octane premium
    Speedway non etahnol (would have to use octane booster)
    Avaition Fuel avail at out local airport called 100LL

I opted for the shell and added stabil. The fuel pressure has a face that says 3 * * 6

it it pointing to the dot right below 6, which sb 5 PSI at idle which I have heard that edelbrock carbs are sensitive to over pressure.

I am happy with the progress so far.

Thanks for all the feedback and positive Help as well.
    Last edited by mcwho; 03-23-2017 at 06:05 PM.
    Baghdad Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations!

I'd try to avoid any fuel with ethanol if at all possible, especially during prolonged storage.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-24-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Carb is now at what I would call 95%, it runs and idles well, mostly. I have taken it out around the block a few times. The engine wants to stall when I stop, either a hard stop or a gentle stop, I have to heel/toe it to keep it running. Gonna blow out the idle circuit again and I do have a Tune shop here that is kinda like a speed shop, he claimed to be a carb expert and he does have a dynamometer.

I have been around carburators since I was 12 years old and my brother and I built a Go-Kart with a Briggs and Stratton engine. These things are just not that complicated. I figure if I can't figure this one out, I do NOT want it on top of my engine.

For what I want in a daily driver, this is not good enough yet.
    Baghdad Bob