Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Has anyone had a problem with the lower steering shaft not staying tight?

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone had a problem with the lower steering shaft not staying tight?

I have been go carting lately, I notice that i keep getting play in my steering shaft. The adapter at the end of the lower shaft (the one with the allen screw and nut around it) continues to come loose. I have used both types of german torque specs on it (goodentight and farfromloosen) and it still seems to back out a little. Do you guys use lock tight on this screw? I can't stand the play in the steering and would assume its going to create a long term problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try this technique. Back the lock nut off. Tighten the set screw. Tighten the lock nut. Tighten the set screw and lock nut (turning both together) to your goodentight setting mentioned above. A little blue Loctite might also help.

HTH

Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    Norm that's the process i followed last time i tightened it. I have some blue Loctite handy. I'll give that a shot this afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tighten the set screw good and tight using blue Loctite. Then SNUG the nut using blue Loctite. I also add one at 90 degrees.
    mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Use Norms method and Locktite.

Norms method is what I do for rocker locks when you get to the engine. That last bit of turning both gets it done.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had the same problem and just this past weekend I put the blue loctite on it. I'm hoping that fixes it, because it is annoying. I guess the next step would be to drill a tiny divot in the holes for the set screw to bottom into.
    Mk4 #8340, 351w/427, 3-link, Wilwood 4 piston rear brakes, 3.27 gear, TKO600, delivered June 18th, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are tightening the set screw down onto the splines, eventually the spline or tip of the screw wear just enough to loosen. Grind the splines off where the set screw tightens, and it should stay tight.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I may have found the problem. When I installed my lower steering shaft way back when; I didn't pay much attention to the adapter on the end. I changed it out as per the build manual but I believe I may have gotten two of the same adapters. Here are a few pictures to show what I am referring to.

IMG_2726.JPG

Here is the shaft that comes out of the Factory Five supplied steering rack. Neither of the adapters that I have slide onto the splines.

IMG_2727.JPG
    Here is the adapter in place and snugged a little. As you can see its not a tight fit around the splines.

IMG_2728.JPG
    Here is that same adapter loosened. You can see how much play is in it. Previously I just kept tightening the allen screw and nut. The screw holds on the flat part for a while, just not long. I end up with a lot of play in my steering wheel.

IMG_2725.JPG
    Lastly, these are the two adapters side by side. Eyeballing it, I believe the inside diameters are the same. They both fit the same on the steering racks shaft.

Do you guys think I have the wrong adapter??? How tight should the splines be in it? I would assume very tight!

Thanks as always

Post Thanks / Like
    It appears that you have a manual rack and two adapters for a fox body power rack. You need a manual rack adapter.

HTH

Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    I got 2 power rack adapters in my kit, too. Sent 1 back and got a manual adapter, even tho I'm using power.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a call into factory five this morning. You can do a great check of your inventory and still miss things!