Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Body fitment on 3/4" front frame rails

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Gentlemen,

I'm not familiar with McMaster.
    How can I locate them?

Steve
    I didn't think you could build a car without McMaster-Carr.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I will caution you that this may be one of those cases where trying to reinvent the wheel to make something "better" can ultimately make life difficult later (specifically for the body guy). Just sayin'...

Jeff
    Just let the body guy fix it. At least if his name is Jeff. The Jeff's can fix anything.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    Very nice Paul. Do you by chance remember the McMaster number for the closed cell foam you used?
    Gentlemen,

I'm not familiar with McMaster.
    How can I locate them?

Steve
    The foam I used for the hood outline was McMaster 8512K96. https://www.mcmaster.com/#8512k96/=16w814b. The 25 foot piece was enough for #7750 and the Anniversary build. It's 1/2-inch thick but was thick enough to fill the opening on both builds, and is in the pictures I posted.

Haven't heard of McMaster? Heresy! I couldn't build one of these without them. Their website is easy to use, fully documents the parts they have (which is amazing), and for me with a distribution center near Cleveland, I always get the parts the next day. True they don't provide the shipping cost until after you order. But I find their shipping charges very reasonable. Pays of course to combine wherever possible, but typically it's near the actual UPS amount without a bunch of markup. Highly recommended source. I choose not to add up how much of my build budget is spent there.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't use pop rivets to hold the rubber snubbers in place around the hood opening. They won't allow you to adjust the body to follow the hood shape. I drilled and tapped the 3/4 inch tube for machine screws at each snubber location. I waited about a week after the final body installation, to let the body settle and find its final shape on the frame, then used the machine screws to match the hood opening and hood height. Once I had the height where I wanted it, I removed and re installed the screws, one at a time, with a little blue loctite on them. They haven't moved in three years.

HTH

Norm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I will caution you that this may be one of those cases where trying to reinvent the wheel to make something "better" can ultimately make life difficult later (specifically for the body guy). Just sayin'...

Jeff
    Point Well Taken!

I'll know when I test fit the body again if this is a good or bad idea.

Thanks for being the Devils Advocate on this issue because I've stubbed more than a few toes with my off beat build.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-24-2017 at 11:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Jeff. This has really not been a complicated issue in the past. Re-read Edward's comments in the bottom of his post #29.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff
    What, I can't reinvent the wheel and totally ignore the advice give here, go ahead and fix a problem NO one has had.. how dare you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    But I Love Reinventing The Wheel!

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

Makes life interesting to say the least, don't you think?
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-24-2017 at 01:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let it float...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    The foam I used for the hood outline was McMaster 8512K96. https://www.mcmaster.com/#8512k96/=16w814b. The 25 foot piece was enough for #7750 and the Anniversary build. It's 1/2-inch thick but was thick enough to fill the opening on both builds, and is in the pictures I posted.
    Hey Sir EdwardB,

> I received the foam tape from McMaster & you were spot on yet again.
    > It works much better & fills the gap very well compared to the material included in the kit.
    > Thanks-O-Million!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Sir EdwardB,

> I received the foam tape from McMaster & you were spot on yet again.
    > It works much better & fills the gap very well compared to the material included in the kit.
    > Thanks-O-Million!

Steve
    Cool! Glad it worked for you.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I received the foam strip for the hood outline yesterday from McMaster-Carr. I placed the body on the car, with the help of Jeepurz, and it looks great. Completely filled the gap.

Thanks everyone.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12