Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Step 1 - 818 Copart Donor Bought & Delivered

Post Thanks / Like

Step 1 - 818 Copart Donor Bought & Delivered

After a long slow search I finally purchased a good donor at a good price for my 818 project.

Copart listed a 2006 WRX w/ 137k that was in a rear end collision. It was listed as a "Run & Drive" vehicle. I looked thru the forum and found some horror stories about Copart and their shady fee structure & selling practices so I was hesitant about buying a vehicle from them. Others had a great experience and said they would buy from them again. So I did my homework on all the different auction processes & long list of fees, potential fees, intermittent fees, etc. then dove into the process. All said & done Copart fees added just over 22% to the actual auction price. My transport driver had no issues picking up the vehicle from Copart and I somehow didn't incur any additional fees (I hope there no "everything went perfectly fee!")

When the car arrived at my office it turned into a parking lot party. The guys were all "hell yea!" but the girls were horrified and asked, "Why did you buy that it's wrecked!?". A nickname was promptly givin to new arrival. The poor car is now called WReX. The ignominy of a parts car. I'm sure that's what it'll be like when I get older than I already am even though they think I'm old now.

After checking the fluids I put a jumper box on the battery, crossed my fingers, and turned the key. It started up and purred like a boxer. I don't generally get excited about stuff but seeing the first tangible component of my long awaited Factory Five build put a really big smile on my face.

I will be attending the F5 818 build school in August. My plan is to have WReX stripped down and the kit delivered before then. If everything works out the project will start immediately after returning from the build school.

I tried upload some pics but the bandwidth on my flight is to slow. I'll edit the post later.

I'd also like to say thank you the F5 community. It has been years since I decided to build a F5 and staying connected with this forum was a major reason I kept that goal on my bucket list. I'm looking forward to applying all the hard earned lessons you guys generously share and add a few of my own too.

Thx Mav

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the madness! Enjoy the build process, its really a big part of FFR experience.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    WReX ha!
    Factory Five 818c #456

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! Glad yours started up!

Post Thanks / Like
    can you post pictures and the price you paid?
    Factory Five 818c #456

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_4646.JPG

IMG_4649.JPG

IMG_4645.JPG

IMG_4650.JPG

Copart auction link: https://goo.gl/2jrshp

Auction price $3500 + fees $933 = $4433 + $575 transport = $5008
    Last edited by Mavwreck75; 03-23-2017 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Attached photos could not be viewed

Post Thanks / Like
    Got an "invalid attachment " when clicking on your attachments

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Got an "invalid attachment " when clicking on your attachments
    Tuna - reloaded the pics give it another try

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, that donor looks like it was well kept. You can recoup a lot by selling off the unneeded parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was curious to see it because I considered bidding on that one but didnt
    Factory Five 818c #456

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn818c View Post
    I was curious to see it because I considered bidding on that one but didnt
    The car was exactly as listed. Copart does offer independent inspection services if you want to have it checked out first. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

I buy a lot of work trucks thru PublicSurplus.com so I have a very reliable vehicle transporter that always arrives as scheduled, which is 5 days including the day the vehicle is purchased from Copart, which avoids a slew of additional fees.

Mav