Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Battery cut of switch qurestion

Post Thanks / Like

Battery cut of switch qurestion

Why do some people use a battery cut of switch and others do not? I am trying to decide if I need to install one.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    On a road going car, for safety and security. When in storage the battery is switched off for safety against fire hazard. Should you ever be in an accident, it gives the police and fire dept. ready access to disconnect power. Many have a cutoff switch on the back panel between the seats, there is also a type that goes on the negative battery terminal.
    Mandatory on race cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi PetetH,

Why is that different than a car I use on a daily basis or is that the difference?

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a good question. I have them on a few classic sports cars, because they're old, even though wiring looms have been replaced, they do sit around alot. To me the fact these are home built cars, even though we're careful during the build, benefit from the peace of mind cutoff's provide. Should something short unexpectedly, you can shut it down quickly.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cfriedman67 View Post
    Hi PetetH,

Why is that different than a car I use on a daily basis or is that the difference?
    Nobody wants to steal you daily beater, nor mine, and you likely won't drive your daily at the race track.

I've got a keyed battery switch, a coil cut out switch, a secondary starter switch & removable steering wheel.

Since I work in New Orleans, I want to drive it on fare-weather days and be sure that it is still where I parked it when I'm ready to go home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses, i get it now. I'm assuming I want to put this switch were it is easily accessible but not easily seen?

Post Thanks / Like
    Security????? If an expert wants your roadster, the battery cut off switch isn't going to prevent him from rolling up with a low boy trailer and yanking the car onto it with a winch or two buddies. Besides, the switches are keyed. Most use a universal switch actuator.

For me, the battery cut off switch was piece of mind that the car is electrically powered down when I want it to be. I placed mine on the back wall of the cockpit between the seats. Battery is under trunk so it was a short run to the switch. I wanted the switch visible for aesthetics.
    Last edited by Dave Howard; 03-23-2017 at 02:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    Security????? If an expert wants your roadster, the battery cut off switch isn't going to prevent him from rolling up with a low boy trailer and yanking the car onto it with a winch or two buddies. Besides, the switches are keyed. Most use a universal switch actuator.

For me, the battery cut off switch was piece of mind that the car is electrically powered down when I want it to be. I placed mine on the back wall of the cockpit between the seats. Battery is under trunk so it was a short run to the switch. I wanted the switch visible for aesthetics.

SECURITY / YES

I park, when at work, in a covered garage so car trailers won't get in there and the ceiling is way too low for a wrecker of any type.

Since most thieves don't drive around with a car dollies or trailer, nor do many drive wreckers I think these security redundancies can and do help.

Plus these redundancies are all hidden in different locations on the car, with an emphasis on hidden.

Aye & Good Day From The Dirty South!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-23-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's required equipment for most race classes. The Cobra is essentially a race car with a license plate. I think a lot of people install them because it's part of the visual and functional package. You really don't want to be using it very often, though. It will eventually fail and leave you stranded.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    From the extra security standpoint where to mount it depends on where your battery is. When mine was in the rear the switch was in the trunk. On the rare occasions that I wanted to feel better, I turned off the switch, took the red key w/ me, and locked the trunk. You could do similar w/ the battery up front since the trunk latches are keyed. In some installations you can also make the wiring simpler w/ something like this.
    http://www.eastwood.com/battery-shut...FV61wAod_roLWA
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Nobody wants to steal you daily beater, nor mine, and you likely won't drive your daily at the race track.

I've got a keyed battery switch, a coil cut out switch, a secondary starter switch & removable steering wheel.

Since I work in New Orleans, I want to drive it on fare-weather days and be sure that it is still where I parked it when I'm ready to go home.
    What is a "secondary starter switch?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brew211 View Post
    What is a "secondary starter switch?"

The wire used for the clutch safety switch can also be used to keep the starter from engaging if you add a secondary toggle switch.

Add another hidden toggle switch to the coil feed and you create a redundancy there too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put one in for both piece of mind that the power was off (except for the clock and EFI memory) and as a small measure of security. I tucked it on the horseshoe below the dash. With the flag key out, the socket almost disappears into the black carpet, so you have to know it's there. I know it won't stop a pro that really wants the car, but it can't hurt, right?

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got insurance

I have a battery disconnect switch on mine because I track it and some of the organizers and/or sanctioning bodies require it.

BTW, you guys know that the flag keys are all alike, right?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I've got insurance

I have a battery disconnect switch on mine because I track it and some of the organizers and/or sanctioning bodies require it.

Jeff
    Yes, but if you can't find it, you can't use it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Add another hidden toggle switch to the coil feed and you create a redundancy there too.
    I've done that. Another one I do is add switch for electric fuel pump so it may drive a little way then stop.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got insurance

Jeff
    Not true.

I painted one Blue,

AHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FFinisher View Post
    Not true.

I painted one Blue,

Great Idea, I'll Paint Mine Black!

Love Your Post!

Time to get on the Motorcycle and make that 35 mile ride to The Big Easy!

See Yalllllll Later!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFinisher View Post
    Not true.

I painted one Blue,

At least you didn't paint it orange

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    At least you didn't paint it orange

Jeff
    Being The Chevy Guy That I Am I Think I Will Paint My Orange Key Chevy Orange!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got insurance

Jeff
    My point exactly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted my cut off switch on the small angled panel at the rear of the tranny cover. If i was to do it again, I would mount it somewhere up by the dash, or perhaps up at the front of the tranny cover. As it is now, it would be very hard to reach when strapped in to the harness, especially if you were hanging upside down.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010