Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engine Mounts

Post Thanks / Like

Engine Mounts

Hi All,
    I need some help. I would like to lower my engine about 1 inch. I have the supplied engine mounting hardware that came with the complete kit. I have a 351W with 9.2 deck height, Ford Z304 heads, super victor intake with a 3/4 inch carb spacer and a quick fuel carb. I'm worried that I won't have the necessary hood clearance. Also I would like to try and use a round air filter. Can anyone direct me to any company that makes engine mount to lower the engine. I've measured the convertible mustang mounts and they measure the same as regular mounts. I would even consider solid mounts, but prefer regular type engine mounts.

Thanks!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I totally understand your hood clearance concerns since I had to re-mount everything on mine.

Could you possibly adapt the following mounts:

Motor Mounts - 351-W V8
    Part Number: 6503
    Manufacturer: Prothane

It might be possible to disassemble the mount and bolt them directly to the pads on the frame and add some spacers underneath.

Good Luck & Happy Motoring!

NOTE: Make sure that if you lower the engine to be sure that your oil pan doesn't drop below the frame rails.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-23-2017 at 01:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are focused on the top right now. But don't forget that as you lower the engine you also lower the bottom of the pan. Most of the 7.5-8 qt pans are right at or within 1/2 inch of the bottom of the main frame tubes. So, if you lower it an inch..... How about a taller hood scoop. Since it's a separate piece, that could be a lot easier than dealing w/ lowering the engine.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a custom pan made for this project, i have more than enough room to lower the engine without pan clearance issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...and then there's the issue of drive shaft and pinion angles. Most of the 351w platforms that I have read about on the forums need to raise the trans mount 3/4 to 1 inch. Don't know what that would do to the engine angle vs drive line angles. Maybe that would positively affect the angles, maybe not. You know how these builds go, you change one thing, and 5 other things get affected.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Need a Super Snake Hood..problem solved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all of you, but I've already addressed these secondary problems. I just want to know if anyone knows of any different type of engine mounts that might work. My car has IRS, plus I'd like to retain the original look for the hood.

Thanks for the input.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't want to talk you out of lower mounts, but there is no way your drive shaft will clear the 4 inch round tube in the back if you lower it 1 inch. Most people space the trans up a bit.
    Mike

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mike Everson & Boat737 Both Make Excellent Points!

Going to the "Dark Side" (Alternate Drivetrain) has caused me quite a few engineering obstacles that I've overcome, including, but not limited to hood clearance and pinion angle issues.
    Could you ditch the carb spacer and/or possibly find a lower profile intake and/or lower profile air cleaner to make things fit?

Even if you loose a few horsepower the car will still be a "Road Rocket!"

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed a set of these 3/4" drop solid mounts.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-1995-Fo...item1c7098e1a1
    They are supposed to be about 3/4" lower than the stock (newer) version motor mounts.
    I'm afraid, I'm still very early on in my build.. so I can't really offer much in the way of top-of-motor clearance. But.. I can confirm that with the standard fox oil pan, the rear sump drain plug hangs down.. oh.. about 1/2" or so.
    IMG_20170324_074452823_595.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks GoDadGo,
    I will look at changing my carb spacer, or possibly going to a different intake. Thank you for the input. I have overcome several things as well with my build, one being T56 Magnum install with a emer brake relow. Drive shaft, pinion angles, etc, etc. no pain no gain!!! All is pretty well taken care of. I will look at the mounts that Skidd said he bought off eBay. LMR along with several other Mustang parts suppliers have solid mounts. I will take a look at possibly making my own mounts, heck what's another few days of engineering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Skidd,
    Can you possibly take several photos of at least on engine mount and post them? Also I see you are in SAT TX. Are you going to San Marcos next weekend? Any photos would be greatly appreaciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there something in particular you need a photo of? Just a mount installed? I can try and get what you need. My motor is installed.. and I'm planning to do my First-Fire-Up this weekend (bwooyeah). It's my still one-and-only unknown.. I bought my motor without having heard it run.. (yikes) yeah. I know.. not idea.. but .. I got it for a song.. so it was totally worth the risk.

As for the cobra meet in San Marcos.. I hadn't really decided yet.. I'm on the fence .. thinking about dragging out my oldest daughter.. not sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know the motor is in etc so this won't be the easiest, but could be the best long term. Pull the motor, cut a whatever you need section out of the pedestals the mounts sit on and weld them back together. Done, now you can use stock mounts and get the height you need. If you don't weld, make a single cut maybe 1.5 inches down from the top of the pedestal. Spread the lower pieces apart so that the upper piece will fit in between. Drill 4-6 holes and bolt them back together.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.