Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 427

Post Thanks / Like

Finalizing my wish list and I'm struggling with the engine. I've always wanted a carbureted 427 and it appears from searching posts that I am in the minority. Two questions:

1) Why is a 427 not that popular?
    2) Who do you recommend purchasing a crate & dressed 427 engine from?

Thank you so much,
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you referring to a 427 big block as in the original cars?

If you go to FFCars.com there is an entire forum dedicated to big blocks and while there are not as many Big Block FFR's they are still quite popular. A couple issues with big blocks is weight and cost.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/46-big-...adster-builds/

Take a look at the vendor list. There are quite a few businesses providing fully dressed and ready to go Windsor Based 427 packages. These are also popular and it is what I have in my roadster.

You just need to be specific as to what you are looking for and what you intend to do with it.

Just to name a few.

Fortes Parts
    Engine Factory
    Gordon Levi
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 03-23-2017 at 04:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a couple of friends that have put FE-based Ford big blocks in their Kirkhams. Both were built by Keith Craft and both have been very reliable. (One's an iron-block 427 bored and stroked to 482 cubic inches; one is an aluminum block bored and stroked to 527.) The big big block has around 35,000 miles on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the quick response, yes I definitely should have been more clear. I am aware of the concerns of a big block, so I would prefer a 427w small block. Are there any concerns there?

Post Thanks / Like
    427 on a remanufactured block would be concerning to me.

427 out of a Dart, Ford Racing or other dedicated blocks are just fine. Purpose built blocks allow for a 4.125" bore with a 4" stroke. Remanufactured block can't be done this way and you end up with too much stroke. Luck less stress this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Brew211 View Post
    Thank you for the quick response, yes I definitely should have been more clear. I am aware of the concerns of a big block, so I would prefer a 427w small block. Are there any concerns there?

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my Rousch 427r. I don't have many miles on it, just around 2000 but I haven't had any issues with it either.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an Engine Factory built Dart 427w carburetor-ed, with QuickTime bell housing, Tremec TKO-600 (.82 OD). It's a work of art. So far flawless with my 3 1/2 miles on it. Happy with it so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    I have an Engine Factory built Dart 427w carburetor-ed, with QuickTime bell housing, Tremec TKO-600 (.82 OD). It's a work of art. So far flawless with my 3 1/2 miles on it. Happy with it so far.
    WOW!!!!! That is beautiful!!!
    I called Engine Factory today, along with Levy Racing. You have exactly what I am looking for. GREAT JOB!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my Ford Racing Z427

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't remember details but, as you look around, be careful of heads w/ raised exhaust ports. They cause header fit problems.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely correct. My Ford Racing Z427 has 5/8" raised port heads which required custom headers. Certain AFR and Dart heads are the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I don't remember details but, as you look around, be careful of heads w/ raised exhaust ports. They cause header fit problems.
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 03-24-2017 at 06:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered a 427w from Forte Parts. It is not here yet. But Mike has always been helpful when I call him with all my stupid questions. ha He has great reviews on here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by awd-turbo View Post
    I ordered a 427w from Forte Parts. It is not here yet. But Mike has always been helpful when I call him with all my stupid questions. ha He has great reviews on here.
    Mike helped me build my 427W on a Dart block, with Dart 195 heads. Engine made over 500hp on a chassis dyno. I wouldn't hesitate to call Mike again.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an Engine Factory 427w and I love it. Fit the headers just fine. My air filter does stick up just slightly into the air scoop, but not an issue for me. Runs really well - all the power I could hope for!
    Mk4 #8340, 351w/427, 3-link, Wilwood 4 piston rear brakes, 3.27 gear, TKO600, delivered June 18th, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have a 427w from Engine Factory. Lots of power and attitude. It's a beast. Couldn't be happier.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 427 (351W) 546 hp, TKO600, MSD ignition, no other electronics. Car shakes at idle. What a machine. Here is go-cart. Using FFR side pipes, incredible sound on acceleration.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=J4NQWHKZw6Q

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MillerCobra View Post
    I have a 427 (351W) 546 hp, TKO600, MSD ignition, no other electronics. Car shakes at idle. What a machine. Here is go-cart. Using FFR side pipes, incredible sound on acceleration.

Thank you MillerCobra, but for some reason the link isn't working????? And I really want to see it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brew211 View Post
    Thank you MillerCobra, but for some reason the link isn't working????? And I really want to see it
    I had same problem. Type in youtube.com, then search the ID J4NQWHKZw6Q
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! I'm getting so excited for this. Thank you everyone for your help/pictures/advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure why. Public listing. Maybe try cut and paste.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you do the search leave off the ID, just paste: J4NQWHKZw6Q

Should show up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MillerCobra View Post
    If you do the search leave off the ID, just paste: J4NQWHKZw6Q

Should show up.
    That idle is music to my ears. unbelievable and great job!

After spending a great part of the day reading posts I started to second guess myself on a 427 due to the numerous posts about "too much power" and "start smaller and always upgrade later". But that idle is too beautiful to pass up, that is exactly what I want.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

427w Engine Pics

We Always Appreciate the business and please let us know if we can help any other FFR future or present owner with one of our powerplants.
    Love seeing the pics!!!!
    1-800-704-5385
    www.fordcobraengines.com

Post Thanks / Like
    If power is a concern just build a mild one. Talk it over w/ your builder. Be careful though as a lot of that idle sound depends on the cam and compression ratio. One option would be to build it like you need for the idle and stick a 600cfm carb on it. Or disconnect the secondaries.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.