Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Temporarily mounting seat for go carting

Post Thanks / Like

Temporarily mounting seat for go carting

Has anyone temporarily mounted the seat for go carting. I know its difficult to get the final position until the body is on, but I plan on a bit of spirited go carting this weekend and would like harnesses and seats for both people but don't want to cause my self headaches later when it comes time to permanently mount them.

Thanks as always

Post Thanks / Like
    I did.
    Before I did it though I did a fair amount of go carting with the seats not attached to anything. The 5 point harness keeps you in position pretty good that way.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Beware, I didn't even drive it, but with the seat just sitting there I managed to wear a small hole in the backside of the seat back, where it gets close to the bend in the rear aluminum. Can't see it, but makes me mad anyway. That aluminum is covered in LizardSkin and is pretty rough, maybe not a problem with bare or painted aluminum.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    So scott, you just harnessed in with no seat??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Usudno View Post
    So scott, you just harnessed in with no seat??
    No the seat was there. The harness held me and the seat in position. Would shift a little on hard turns but not bad at all.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the key words are "spirited go carting." I too go-kart with the seats loose. But my go-karts are a couple of times up and down a side street in my sub and topping out at a wild 27 mph. (I checked on the GPS.) Even with the seats bolted down and harness in place, you have a mostly un-tuned chassis and an unfamiliar driver. Take it easy.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I think the key words are "spirited go carting." I too go-kart with the seats loose. But my go-karts are a couple of times up and down a side street in my sub and topping out at a wild 27 mph. (I checked on the GPS.) Even with the seats bolted down and harness in place, you have a mostly un-tuned chassis and an unfamiliar driver. Take it easy.
    Or would that be an un-tuned driver and an unfamiliar chassis. Remember the old forum saying around here: "Take me for granted, and I will kill you."
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    When I say spirited I don't mean 50 mile an hour blasts. To this point I have been around my office parking lot, probably 60-100 yards per trip. My plan is to go on a street on the side of my shop which is about 2 miles long. All I'm looking for is a little suspension travel, brake testing and overall shake down of the car. Thanks for the concerns though fellas!

Post Thanks / Like
    Same as Scott, only I went that way for over 2500 miles!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!