BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Step 2 - Donor Tear Down: best practices

Post Thanks / Like

Step 2 - Donor Tear Down: best practices

The donor has arrived and I won't be attending the 818 build school until August. I want to tear down the donor is an organized and mistake free process.

I'm looking for best practices on the tear down and any pre-install preparation that will help reduce unexpected problems as well.

If it matters the donor is a '06 WRX

Thx Mav
    Last edited by Mavwreck75; 03-27-2017 at 10:24 AM. Reason: grammer

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you downloaded the teardown manual? You can find it online as a pdf. It isn't very detailed, but it has a list of things you definitely don't want to throw away.

Definitely take the doors off first.

I put all my bolts back in their "homes" so I wouldn't lose them, and stripped every other bolt I could find into a bucket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Baggies and a sharpie for small parts get some shelves for parts storage. The manual has the parts prep required for the donor parts well detailed. Also when the kit arrives there are many bare metal parts that need prep have a plan to get them done asap as many come up pretty quick in the build. Get your general maintenance stuff done water pump, timing belt plugs. Start planning out your harness and start tucking away dollars for all the things your forgot to add to your build budget (tuck alot of them away)

Post Thanks / Like
    roll down the windows before cutting power for the final time, easier to store the doors

loosen the CV axle nuts before dropping suspension, actually loosen as much as possible while still on the car.
    Factory Five 818c #456

Post Thanks / Like
    Appreciate the great info. It will be put to good use. - Thx Mav

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn818c View Post
    roll down the windows before cutting power for the final time, easier to store the doors
    A 12-18v ATV/Lawnmower/Dewalt battery and a few feet of wire make quick work of such things. And fuel pump outs. And general "what does this do?"/"is it broke or does my wiring suck?" moments.

Oh and airbags. Maybe. But I never tried that...