Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How many have started with the stage 1 option, then went to stage 2 later

Post Thanks / Like

How many have started with the stage 1 option, then went to stage 2 later

Hi guys, I am just curious how many builders take advantage of this cash outlay advantage !
    I am thinking about giving it a try and I just wanted to check with you guys first to see if there were any problems with part shipments.....
    Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Very few choose this option because it almost doubles the freight costs when you have two shipments. It also means you don't have certain parts that would be handy to have when mocking up things to be sure there is no conflict. Location of various parts like brake reservoirs, AC driers, overflow tanks, even the unisteer ps motor etc. are often changed
    for personal taste or conflict with various drivetrain combos. Your build, your budget but it's not an ideal way to build the kit.
    Dale
    7liter Hemi33

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we have a related thread here somewhere. Not getting stage 2 is ok, but there are some things you really want earlier. The general issue is the way the parts are split between the stages and the sequence the manual is written in. If you stay with the basic build you'll be fine. If you're doing mods you may want the whole kit. I did split stages, but it was due to the engine and tranny selection process. Once I went "off kit" I needed the second stage for fit up.

Reasons to split stages:
    Funding
    Storage space
    Frame and driveline changes

Reasons not to split
    Shipping cost
    I would do more body work earlier
    Loss of project momentum
    Engine and tranny don't need to sit around as long

Just a few ideas.

Post Thanks / Like
    I expect the stage 1/2 method to cause me some issues, but after 3 years of some unplanned expense coming up each time stopping me getting the full kit, I decided that getting stage 1 in my garage when I could afford it was better than having nothing at all! So I'll check the "funding reason" box

Mine is about to be loaded by Stewart this week and I'll start a build thread when it gets here, so we'll all see how it goes!
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. I knew that the freight cost would be one issue, but did not figure on doing much changes to the basic build.
    Money timing is my #1 issue, so I think I will try the stage 1 deal. Any other comments ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you've been lurking here even longer than me!

I found this place in 2011 too, and it took me 6 years to pull that trigger.. so good luck. Hope to see you post your own good news soon
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    So I am also doing the Stage 1 and ordering the stage 2 kit at a later time. For me it was storage of the stage 2 components, and also to keep SWMBO happy by spreading out the money.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be doing it in two stages as well, decided to unload all my Jeep projects a couple of weeks before the idea of building a F5 car became an option. Initially I wanted to build an 818 because the kit is closer to what funds from selling my Jeeps would allow, but the wife likes the 33 a lot more, and it's easier to get the green light if she's onboard. This allows me time to build the engine myself, I can take my time and work on it with my kid, as well as time/funds to work on his car as well(89 Jeep Comanche resto-mod), as well as the chance to save up some money to go ahead and get the steel body upgrade with the stage 2, hard to do that with kids in the house still.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the end it will cost you more in time and money but we all have to work within our own financial and storage reality. It's a large upfront cost and there are more parts to store when buying the entire kit at once. Sometimes to make it work you have to spread out the expenditures but the frustration level will be higher and there will be more delays by building it in stages as it limits what you can work on, especially when waiting on parts. If doing the stage 1 then stage 2 thing it is better not to drift away from the basic build as customization will add exponentially to the frustration of not having all the parts you need when you need them.