BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: wiring with carb setup question

Post Thanks / Like

wiring with carb setup question

I am running a 427w with a carb setup. I have two lines running to the rear of the car for the gas tank (one is for sending unit, and the other is for fuel pump). Since my "fuel pump" is up on the carb, do I need to pull the second wire to the front of the car for the engine bay? Or can I just cut it and seal it off?

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you running an electric fuel pump at the engine bay? If so you need to re-route this wire to that pump. If you are running mechanical fuel pump you wont need the fuel pump circuit.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reading your original post it would appear you have mounted an electric fuel pump on the carburetor. If you're running an electric fuel pump on the carb you may not be very happy with that choice as these push fuel way better than they pull fuel. Electric pumps should be located as close to the tank as possible and located at a level that minimizes the suction head they have to pull. Also, some electric fuel pumps will require a regulator or the pressure will overpower the carb float causing a flooding (rich) condition at idle and slow speed. In addition, with an electric pump it's a good idea to run either an oil pressure switch (good) or an inertia switch (better) or both (best) that will shut off the electric fuel pump in case of a crash. These are cheap mitigation measures against continuing to pump fuel in a wreck. The oil pressure switch shuts off the fuel pump when the oil pressure drops below a pre-set amount and the inertia switch shuts off the pump when it experiences a pre-set g-force such as in a crash. Or if like Feen said above, if you are actually running a conventional mechanical fuel pump mounted on the engine you don't have to deal with this other stuff and simply cap off the electric fuel pump wire.

Post Thanks / Like
    mechanical. So i guess that answers my question. Thanks for helping me talk through it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I assume we're talking about the Ron Francis harness. Obviously you don't need the fuel pump harness connection at the tank. But personally I wouldn't remove it. Tie wrap it to the sender harness. It won't hurt anything going along for the ride. Then pull the fuse from the fuse box. Plans and builds change. Now or years from now. At some point in the future you might want an electric pump back there, e.g. if you were to decide you wanted to go EFI.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.