FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Need Roll Bar Grommets....recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Need Roll Bar Grommets....recommendations

I need grommets recommendations , not sure if I want the metal trim or just rubber, advise please. BTW MK1

Post Thanks / Like
    McMaster Carr offers plain rubber grommets that work great for the rollbars. For the rear leg, you just need to so a little trimming on two of them to get a perfect fit for the oval hole. A bag of 20 - 25 is fairly cheap, too. I gave quite a few away back when I did mine as other builders were looking for them. PM me and I'll be happy to share if I have any left -- will have to check my "left over" pile.

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to add... I had to close my holes up during the bodywork stage, then open them up just enough for these grommets to fit. If you are past that stage, check McMaster's website for different sizes.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    The grommet look is clean looking and authentic. But as mentioned, does make the fit between the body and roll bar a little more critical. The polished metal rings with gaskets many of us use are a bit easier to install. Just depends on the look you want. Metal trim rings are available from multiple sources: Factory Five, Replicaparts, Russ Thompson, Whitby's to name the ones I know about. Since it's a Mk1, I assume you have the 2-inch diameter roll bar vs. the more recent 1-1/2 inch. Make sure whatever you get is for the larger size.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.