BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Passenger ​Gas Tank Strap Mod

Post Thanks / Like

Passenger ​Gas Tank Strap Mod

This is an aesthetic​ mod that doesn't add any functional significance, just a "cleanup" thing. FFR makes these cars a little bit like a Swiss Army knife(in a good way), so they're able to accommodate several different donors. One of the leftovers for me was the passenger gas tank strap brackets on the frame that stick out into the trunk area. The passenger strap is significantly longer based on the donor years so both the front and rear frame mounts are higher up.

I wanted to clean up the inside of the trunk area so I cut both stock brackets off the frame and ground things down, then painted it.

I then bent up a new bracket out of 1/8" X 1" steel, drilled it out, and welded it to the frame at the same height as the driver's side.

Next was modifying the passenger side strap for the shorter length. First I straightened the original strap back to completely flat in anticipation of replicating the bends in the driver's side strap. You could just as easily buy another driver's side strap, but I was unable to find just the driver's side, so you'd have to buy both. The other issue is that you'd have to weld a new bracket lower on the front mount which I all thought was unnecessary. First up was replicating the bends on the driver's side strap.

Here is a closeup of the length that I cut off the passenger strap based on the lowered rear mount. You can see I tried to somewhat closely mimic the original end.

Next I measured up some leftover steel tubing to take up the space between the frame bracket and the bend in the strap. This is not necessary per the FFR specs, it's just something that I'm personally more comfortable with than letting the bolt alone take up the slack.

I did the same on the drivers side with similar leftover steel tubing.

In the end, I'm extremely pleased with the results. I probably have 3-4 hours of total time invested, not bad based on what I wanted to accomplish. As mentioned, completely unnecessary, but something I wanted to do to make the car "mine". The trunk aluminum will get a cover plate to finish up the mod, which will get covered up with carpet later.

-TJ
    Last edited by Mountain-Metalworks; 03-28-2017 at 02:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a pic of the strap welded onto the back, I forgot to post this yesterday.

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice and clean! Like the approach to details and this mod is as my list as well.
    Keep on going...
    Georg