FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Simpson Lap Belts and Kirkey Seats Integration Issue

Post Thanks / Like

Simpson Lap Belts and Kirkey Seats Integration Issue

In preparation for the inevitable go-cart I installed the drivers side belts in my roadster. I have the Kirkey 41 series 16 inch drag seats (41500 https://www.kirkeyracing.com/product...RO-STREET-DRAG) which are essentially the same as FFR Kirkeys but with a high back. These are combined with the FFR provided Simpson belts (29063 http://simpsonraceproducts.com/top-s...-down-bolt-in/). I am 6' tall and weigh 180 lbs but have found that the belts are unusable. When attempting to tighten the belts the straps disappear between my hips and the side of the seat before becoming tight.

I was hoping to find some where the strap interface is perhaps integrated into the latching mechanism keeping those items further centered on my hips.

Does anyone have a recommendation for alternative belts?

Is the Simpson 29073 a better option? http://simpsonraceproducts.com/top-s...pull-down-b/i/
    How about Simpson 29112 if I wanted to go with a cam lock? http://simpsonraceproducts.com/sfi-a...t-pull-dn-b/i/

IMG_0109.JPGIMG_0110.JPG
    FFR MK4 #8849. 2015 Coyote, 2015 IRS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have these in my build with the Kirkey high backs.
    http://www.redline360.com/cipher-aut...4LcaAi4Q8P8HAQ

Mine are orange but they come in black. They work well with my 16" seats. I really prefer the latching mechanism over the kit provided simpsons. I am 6'3" and about 210 so fill up the seat a little more. Cant say how well they would work if I were 180.
    Is gaining 20-30 pounds for better fit an option?

Also I have the seats mounted with the kirkey side brackets that elevate the seat just slightly off the floor. Would having your seat a little higher help with your fitment issue? How to do plan to permanently mount the seat?
    I have been considering your seat because I am unsure of the upper side bolsters on mine. If you can post a pic of the seat sitting in the car with the body on that would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by wareaglescott; 03-28-2017 at 01:09 PM.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    "pull-up" lap belt configuration is easier to adjust. You pull the strap toward the buckle rather that down between the seat and your hip.

Go for camlock instead of latch buckle mechanism. It's way easier to use.

Cheaper harness like G-forces racing works well.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are serious about belts and want to keep a 4 point instead of a 5 point there's only one option to look at: Schroth ASM.

I've mainly used Schroth belts in SCCA racing and will say they are worth the $. Make sure any belt you get has either extra material or a handle built into the side straps so you have some leverage to pull on to tighten. Usually in our race cars the belt pulls for the sides are feed through the sides of the seats where the belts are anchored and you reach down the side of the seat, grab the handles and pull up, tightening the belt against the hole in the seat side. Basically, belt in, reach down on both outside sides of the seat, grab the belt straps and pull up.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you get other belts I'd be glad to buy the ones you have.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Also I have the seats mounted with the kirkey side brackets that elevate the seat just slightly off the floor. Would having your seat a little higher help with your fitment issue? How to do plan to permanently mount the seat?
    I have been considering your seat because I am unsure of the upper side bolsters on mine. If you can post a pic of the seat sitting in the car with the body on that would be much appreciated.
    Unfortunately higher would not help. It is the distance between the center of the belt and the adjustment point which needs to be shorter.

Sorry, I do not have the body on at this point and can not get you the pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Usually in our race cars the belt pulls for the sides are feed through the sides of the seats where the belts are anchored and you reach down the side of the seat, grab the handles and pull up, tightening the belt against the hole in the seat side. Basically, belt in, reach down on both outside sides of the seat, grab the belt straps and pull up.
    I tried this technique but am worried that over time it will pull on the fabric of the seat and cause some serious wear and tear. Thank you for the suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    If you get other belts I'd be glad to buy the ones you have.

I have a pending email out with Simpson inquiring if they will accept an exchange even though I did not purchase the belts through them. If they are not willing to work with me the belts are all yours.