BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Build Times

Post Thanks / Like

Build Times

For those of you that have finished your builds, about how long did it take you? I'm still a ways off from even starting but I just got a promotion that made this dream possible.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    2.5 years. You can complete one in 300-400 hours though. Just depends on how by-the-book you do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am at 2 years and 3 months and still have to install windshield. Do wiring and button up interior.
    R818s | Gt35r| Forged 2.5 | Q16
    Kit Ordered 4/14 | Kit Arrived 1/15
    First Start 8/29/15 | First Drive 9/7/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    2.5 years. You can complete one in 300-400 hours though. Just depends on how by-the-book you do it.
    Not too bad. I was hoping about 12-18 months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Not too bad. I was hoping about 12-18 months.
    A consistent 8hrs /week will get you done in that time period.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    4 months on a MK III Includeing paint. LOng days 6 days a week. This was a non donor build so didn't have to dismantle, clean or paint donor parts. Did not build the engine.

Kenny
    Last edited by first time builder; 03-30-2017 at 06:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    A consistent 8hrs /week will get you done in that time period.
    That's what I was hoping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by first time builder View Post
    4 months on a MK III Includeing paint. LOng days 6 days a week. This was a non donor build so didn't have to dismantle, clean or paint donor parts. Did not build the engine.

Kenny
    Damn, you were hauling.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It will depend greatly on your experience with this sort of project and what you consider "done."

I went from a driving donor to street-legal 818 in about 200 hours, but have way more experience with this sort of stuff then most. Since then, I've put in another two dozen hours or so tweaking, and probably have another 8 or 10 in bodywork before I'll be happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phil1734 View Post
    It will depend greatly on your experience with this sort of project and what you consider "done."

I went from a driving donor to street-legal 818 in about 200 hours, but have way more experience with this sort of stuff then most. Since then, I've put in another two dozen hours or so tweaking, and probably have another 8 or 10 in bodywork before I'll be happy with it.
    Yeah I figured that would be the case. I've got a moderate amount of experience and access to all the mills, lathes, and tools that may be necessary so that should help. I'm not in any rush anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Build start to go-kart: 11 Months
    Go-kart to registered: 20 Months
    It still needs to be painted.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    As listed above, I'm about a year and a half. Really depends on how much time you can spend on it each week. The hours listed are correct, it's all about how much time you have to spend on your project each week.

Post Thanks / Like
    3 years and still doesn't run. A couple of kids and changing your mind/plans a bunch of times really slows down a build.
    -Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Took me 2 years almost to the day from kit arrival to completion for my 818R (not sure it is ever 100% done but that to me is part of the fun) I did have my donor 6 months prior, striped and had most all of the donor parts I was planning to use prepped refurbished and painted when the kit arrived.
    I didn't set a timeline other than to try to spend at least 8 hours a week working on the car, which is about how it worked out. It kept me motivated and allowed time with family, vacations and other activities to prevented burn out. Also allowed me to spread out the spend on the car and verify/change my build and parts plan.
    As the experienced builders have advised and I think it is important is to create a build plan, and set goals on what you want to get done during the hours you are working on the car.
    I kept a To Do list taped to the car and cross items off as I completed a task and add items as the came up. I seem to add more items to the To Do list than cross items off the list until I was 3/4 of the way through the build. But that process has served we well on my projects.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 03-31-2017 at 08:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    3.5 years, 2 kids, 1 business, and one other race car later.....I'm still going. Lol
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    Took me 2 years almost to the day from kit arrival to completion for my 818R (not sure it is ever 100% done but that to me is part of the fun) I did have my donor 6 months prior, striped and had most all of the donor parts I was planning to use prepped refurbished and painted when the kit arrived.
    I didn't set a timeline other than to try to spend at least 8 hours a week working on the car, which is about how it worked out. It kept me motivated and allowed time with family, vacations and other activities to prevented burn out. Also allowed me to spread out the spend on the car and verify/change my build and parts plan.
    As the experienced builders have advised and I think it is important is to create a build plan, and set goals on what you want to get done during the hours you are working on the car.
    I kept a To Do list taped to the car and cross items off as I completed a task and add items as the came up. I seem to add more items to the To Do list than cross items off the list until I was 3/4 of the way through the build. But that process has served we well on my projects.
    A To Do list sounds like a good idea. I'm guessing you made the list based off the assembly manual and then added your own customization.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    3.5 years, 2 kids, 1 business, and one other race car later.....I'm still going. Lol
    As long as you're enjoying then it's all good lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by icky View Post
    As listed above, I'm about a year and a half. Really depends on how much time you can spend on it each week. The hours listed are correct, it's all about how much time you have to spend on your project each week.
    I'm planning about 8-10 hours per week but we'll see how that turns out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am at 8 months from arrival date. Finishing the body work paint and interior left. Once the windshield is in it can get an inspection sticker. The frigid temps have slowed work down a bit yes we are getting a snow storm tonight and tomorrow mother natures April's fools joke!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ares,
    I created a spreadsheet with the parts I needed and wanted and priced them out and added 20% to cover miscellaneous plus $2000 for parts I didn't think of, can send you a sample just pm your e-mail address.
    The to do list started before I got the car, cleaning, replacing, refurbishing Subaru donor parts, depowering the steering rack as an example. I requested the manual 6 months prior to chassis delivery and used it as a reference to start my assembly to do list. the build plan would always change some each build day. I my case it was due to changing something, needing supplies/waiting on parts or decision or just something I wanted to do differently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    Ares,
    I created a spreadsheet with the parts I needed and wanted and priced them out and added 20% to cover miscellaneous plus $2000 for parts I didn't think of, can send you a sample just pm your e-mail address.
    The to do list started before I got the car, cleaning, replacing, refurbishing Subaru donor parts, depowering the steering rack as an example. I requested the manual 6 months prior to chassis delivery and used it as a reference to start my assembly to do list. the build plan would always change some each build day. I my case it was due to changing something, needing supplies/waiting on parts or decision or just something I wanted to do differently.
    That would be incredibly helpful. But somebody seems to be too popular and it says you need to clear space to receive pm's.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL sorry shouldn't be a problem now.

Post Thanks / Like
    See my timeline in my signature. Granted, I didn't to any paint or body work.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    66 days, don't do that. Trust me.

Plan on 300-500 hours and be prepared for 800.
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85

Post Thanks / Like
    I am 2 years into my build and only about 70% complete. Spending about few hours a week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SixStar View Post
    66 days, don't do that. Trust me.

Plan on 300-500 hours and be prepared for 800.
    Now does that include actually wrench turning, or does that include the time spent just staring blankly trying to figure out how that #%^* part is supposed to fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are we counting hours spent here on this forum? 2,000+?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Now does that include actually wrench turning, or does that include the time spent just staring blankly trying to figure out how that #%^* part is supposed to fit.
    Wrench time, hammer time, CAD time, CNC programming time, finding the part you threw across the garage because it fit like poop time, back to wrench time.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    For the folks who log the hours do you just have like a time clock you punch in and punch out when you leave the garage for the day(lol)? I can only count by the years cause I'm in the garage everyday after work unless family or girlfriend things are going on.

Post Thanks / Like
    over 3600 hours, but we rebuilt/custom fabricated a ton of stuff with no donor car. To do just a basic, with a good donor, 8 months to a year at 16 hours a week would be my estimate.

Post Thanks / Like
    NEVER!!! LOL Keep telling myself its the journey not the destination, who really "completes" a build?

Had "Driving" Donor for a year. Started donor tear down in September 2016. At wiring stage now (April 2017) Weekend Warrior style. 8 to 16 hours a weekend.

There is always that bolt or item I should have saved from the donor but can't locate but I KNOW I saved...now I got to order...(BTW does anyone have extra lower radiator grommets lying around?)

Also seeing other people's idea's and approaches, mods, inspiration, calculated risks, etc. will add time and dollars...lots of dollars...

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the right way to look at it is how much time to registration or first race. I see a bunch threads that go continue years after registration or first race.

Post Thanks / Like
    3+ years, twice I didn't touch the car for 6 months, had a second kid, started my own business, and building it the most difficult way possible. I'll never be done, but hope to be on the road this year.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    I built my coupe in 3 months