Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Removable side panels

Post Thanks / Like

Removable side panels

I want to be able to run side panels in winter and remove them in summer. Considering permanent headlight install and notching panels, how do you actually install them with the headlights in place. There doesn't seem to be enough clearance between front fender, uca, and lite to get them in place. . Have you actually ever seen this work? If so, what the heck, man? What am I doing wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brave Salmon View Post
    I want to be able to run side panels in winter and remove them in summer. Considering permanent headlight install and notching panels, how do you actually install them with the headlights in place. There doesn't seem to be enough clearance between front fender, uca, and lite to get them in place. . Have you actually ever seen this work? If so, what the heck, man? What am I doing wrong?
    The best approach to what you want is to cut the side panels diagonally so the part the fender mounts to stays in place.
    That way the headlights and fender mounts are not part of the equation.
    Several people have sectioned the hood sides in different shapes so take a look at those builds.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    ok Dale, that makes sense. The piece behind the headlight remains fixed and I just need to build in a flange at the seam however I decide to cut the removable side. Time to get creative! That's great feedback, thank you..
    Tom

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    When thinking about how to fasten the removable side panels don't rule out ¼-turn fasteners like used on aircraft. They make removal quick & easy and when painted to match they blend in with the panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, what I did was make a template from 1/8" hardboard. Made a cutout that covers the hinges and headlight wiring. It leaves most of the sides exposed which is the look I wanted. Next step is to take the rest of the template and make it fit yet be removable EASILY for those hot summer days. Here is a look at the front piece minus headlight.20170417_162234.jpg (that's the template, not final piece)
    Last edited by Brave Salmon; 04-17-2017 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Changed pic

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look at Kraftee's new post with paint. Looks like he may have split his at the front. I will split mine for a different reason. I also cut those lower pieces and made them removable. I am using a mix of rivnuts an 1/4 turn. The 1/4 turn takes a little more room. Hopefully the rivnuts and button heads won't vibrate loose

Post Thanks / Like
    Ol skool,
    I found the post you referenced. If Kraftee sees this perhaps he could post a side view of his covers since he appears to be trying to achieve the same thing as me, hide the ugly hinge area and make the panels truly removable without messing with lights.
    Thanks Kraftee if you can post a picture.
    Tom
    Last edited by Brave Salmon; 04-17-2017 at 09:18 PM.