FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2 bolts or 4 bolts on engine hoist leveler

Post Thanks / Like

2 bolts or 4 bolts on engine hoist leveler

Hey guys,
    I'm picking the engine out of its crate to assemble the clutch, flywheel and trans. When the builder put it in the crate they had all the front accessories attached. They only have two grade 8 bolts in the front left and the rear right cylinder heads for lifting. In order to get the fourth bolt in the front right, I would have to remove the accessories off the front of the engine which is going to be problematic with it still in the crate.
    Is it OK to lift this engine with just the 2 grade 8 bolts they have left for me in the cylinder heads? Or should I find a way to attach 4. I know I can get 3 without an issue. Anyway, let me know...I have a 2 ton strongway lift with a chain leveler from Northern Tool.
    Hurricane HM-2016, 9" Ford w/3.50, 427W, TKO 600.

Post Thanks / Like
    This may be useful.
    http://www.derose.net/steve/resource...lts.html#shear

I don't know enough to give you a definitive yes but my understanding is 2 grade 8 bolts strength capacity would well exceed the weight of the motor. What size are the bolts in question?
    Also it sounds like they must have lifted the engine with those two bolts either into the crate or onto whatever it is sitting on and then built the crate around it. That would be another good indicator it will work.
    Of course it is totally understandable you want a definite answer before lifting it. Maybe that chart will give you some confidence.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I have lifted an iron BB Chevy with trans attached with 2 grade 8 bolts. Never an issue. You will be fine with just two

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I used four (4) bolts, but it was mainly so that I could keep the engine and transmission really stable while dangling from my "Swamp Land" engine hoist.

https://youtu.be/3f1Q4aS5SG4

I don't think it makes a difference as Toy4me has stated.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-01-2017 at 07:32 AM.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    You don't say what size fasteners you're using or the engine you want to lift but to give you a frame of reference I've used two G-5 ⅜" cap screws for lifting an old school all iron hemi and that's a very heavy engine. Keep them short so they are less likely to bend.

Post Thanks / Like
    You will be fine strength wise. The only problem doing it that way is that you engine levelor is at an angle so the engine tilts kind of weird. I had the same problem at the front of my 408. My solution was an old serpentine belt that I looped through some of the accessory mount spacers and hooked the levelor chains to the ends. A couple of loops of a ratchet strap could also work.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.