Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's see your interior design

Post Thanks / Like

Let's see your interior design

I know it's early, and the car chassis may be changed, but it would be fun to see interior design concepts. The earlier we do, the better. This way, the interior design won't be neglected and be the item that screams "kit-car".

I do realize that some want a bare bones interior to meet the price goal, but for those who want a nicer interior, and are willing to pay a premium for it, this thread would be good.

Maybe we can talk Dave into offering the best interior as optional equipment not subject to the $10k base price.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like something like this...light and simple

Post Thanks / Like
    Cup holders, and a basket or glove box in which pocket items can be tossed into.

The seats will most likely be squeezed together as shown in the photo above. See the rolling frame in the open house section.

Old fashion grab bars as seen in the Porsche 550 image above might not be a bad idea either.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the idea of this thread.
    This concept is a very simple combination of the IP and console.
    wrap2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by olpro View Post
    wrap2.jpg
    Thats rather cool. But is something this 'different' feasible for this project? There is so much else that FFR has to accomplish with this project, and doing something that hasn't been done before or done a lot has its own challenges to overcome. My first impression is that is asking too much. If its not too much, I'd love to have something like that.

If I can't have that, I think good benchmark to shoot _above_ is the K2 Attack (will post a pic later when I have time). The 818 should at least better that interior. I'd love to see the WRX gauge 'pod' make its way over. That would go a long way to not looking like a kit. A mix of metal finishes and vinyl or leather wrapped surfaces would probably look good (leather could be optional).

I think the more OEM it looks, the better (but basic).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    None of my sketches were done for this project. On the other hand, I like big overall concepts that drive the design (first you ideate then you sort for what is possible - and try to come up with something really original yet appropriate).
    This old sketch shows a concept based on a SPHERE (original idea came from the ball turret on a B-17). Probably not doable for this car but I think it is still interesting to consider.
    CocoonInteriorA.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    wrap2.jpg
    not a fan of that look, reminds me of the pontiac solstice interior which makes me angry inside...

that interior alone is the reason why i would have a saturn sky before ever owning a solstice
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
    not a fan of that look, reminds me of the pontiac solstice interior which makes me angry inside...

that interior alone is the reason why i would have a saturn sky before ever owning a solstice
    Also sort of reminds me of the last Toyota Supra. I thoight that car was ugly inside and out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I remember sitting in a Mk IV Supra in the new car show room while my parents purchased a 94 Camry. The thing that struck me about the Supra and sticks with me to this day is how everything was driver-centric. The center stack of the dash was clearly angled towards the driver by tens of degrees. I like that idea, though I remember little else of the interior.

Still wish my parents had chosen the Supra over the Camry

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    This one plays the round air vents against the round gauges, on a pad-like IP.
    lily1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I definitely like the idea of a driver-centric dash. It's a feature I always liked about the older BMWs. I'm not sure if they still build them that way, but I tend to think that more modern cars are getting away from that as they incorporate video screens and touchscreen controls into their designs. I think the 818 should buck that trend and express itself as a driver-oriented interior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to toss something else out there; one of the reasons I liked (as a child) the early year Vettes and Mustangs is that while sitting in the front passenger seat, I could pretend or imagine that I was behind the wheel driving because I had a dash hump in front of me. It may seem silly as an adult to care about the enjoyment of some just out of diapers kid may have, but they are the future car buyers.

Similar to my uncle's dash:
    http://www.corvettefever.com/feature.../photo_07.html
    corp_0808_02_z+1960_corvette+interior_dash.jpg

Similar to my other uncle's dash:
    http://www.autoworksracing.com/68_mu...pro-street.htm
    68_mustang_pro_street_dash.jpg

The Lotus Elise has set the modern standard in my opinion of "less is more". Sadly, no passenger dash pod for the little tykes.
    http://bestautodesign.com/new-sport-...ise-club-racer
    Lotus-Elise-interior.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Please just post your designs, rather than telling me why "it won't work".
    If there is a cool design we all like, it may be made. Either by FFR, or a 3rd party.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    All my interiors were similar, and I should have taken into consideration the elbow to elbow seating arrangement with no room for a center console.

The shifter in my 1977 911 already touches the passenger's legs, I have to ask them to move their leg.

I cannot imagine the 818's cabin being any better, the center frame bar (triangle) does not help either.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here’s two versions of a more traditional sedan type panel. You need all the functions: 4 air vents, gauges, tunes, HVAC, shifter, NAV map screen and of course …. 2 cup holders.
    mech2a.jpgmech1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    well if FFR is using a bunch of interior bits from their WRX, it will probably look something like this

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the Elise's interior as a good benchmark: necessary analog gauges, switches and buttons for the driver, three intuitive knobs for HVAC (fan speed, temperature, and where you want the air to go), and a radio (maybe). No touchscreen navigation, no built-in cupholders (that's what your legs are for). :-)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    One problem is that interiors are considerably more complicated to design and have more critical issues to deal with than exteriors. The surfacing issues are easier but the functional ones are intimidating.
    I am sure that FFR is not prepared for a really detailed effort on this and will be inclined to simplify greatly and/or grab solutions from the donor. That only makes sense given the situation.
    Last edited by olpro; 06-29-2011 at 09:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The earlier '02-'03 Impreza models have a center stack that does not flow directly into the center console. This would lend itself readily to visually 'lightweight' no-console styling. The center stack can also be left off giving a minimalistic race-car feel (with a bit of cosmetic trimming).

[img]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't seen any information on the center line location of the driver and passenger on the 818 so who knows where they will be. If they are crowded toward the centerline of the vehicle, the steering wheel should also be shifted in the same directions so whether or not the dash panel continues down into a console is beside the point. The steering wheel will have to be moved to the right to fit the seat location.
    Last edited by olpro; 06-30-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    ..... If they are crowded toward the centerline of the vehicle, the steering wheel should also be shifted in the same directions so whether or not the dash panel continues down into a console is beside the point. ....
    Very true. I wonder how set the current chassis passenger compartment design is.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mabey it'll be a column shift!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    if FFR is using the stock Subaru WRX track width, wouldn't the cockpit be as wide as the WRX as well?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It could be but not necessarily. I think they just need to decide what they want in terms of a console, set a couple of seats up on the floor and decide what feels right. Too wide and it looses the intimate feeling that you probably want.

Post Thanks / Like
    at first i thought the cupholder in the subaru's dash was a bit odd and kind of an afterthought, like they tacked it on because the standard one is only big enough for a can of red bull... after driving a friends mini S around for a while i wish more cars had them in the dash...

my point being, to whoever designs the interior... shifters and cupholders need to be as far apart as possible...

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I have no need for cupholders in a sporting car such as this, rarely find need for them even in 'regular' cars. I plan to drive it, not sip latte's in it. So I personally wouldn't mind if the interior doesn't end up with any.

But just because _I_ don't want them, doesn't mean I'm going to argue that this car shouldn't have them. Its not going to hurt my enjoyment of the car if it has them. Its not going to make the car weigh any more.

Just trying to be proactive for the inevitable onslaught of comments about how dare you ask for cupholders, pitchforks and torches, goes against all that is holy, yadda, yadda...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    awwwww, you mean I sharpened my pitch fork for nothing? And what am I going to do with two dozen unlit torches? Don't you know how bad these smell?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure soon enough there will be angry villagers wanting to use them in another thread...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riptide motorsport View Post
    Mabey it'll be a column shift!
    only if they do that mini-truck version 818, then I can totally see it
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
    if FFR is using the stock Subaru WRX track width, wouldn't the cockpit be as wide as the WRX as well?
    The outside structure of a stock Subie goes to the outside of the doors, which more or less line up with the outside width of the front and rear tires.

Looking at the steel tube frame FFR has, the frame is set on the inside of the tire width (roughly).

Therefore the interior cabin of the FFR could be a foot and a half narrower than a normal Subie. If this worst case is true, this would leave no room for a center console, and place driver and passenger elbows touching or fighting for the same real estate.

I said "if" to the above, because I do not have a top plan view drawn to scale in which to base my comments on. I'm only going off the 3D views and open house photos. In these views there is not enough "scale elements" (like seats) to form an informed or accurate opinion.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Presumably they have sat in their frame and thought about this. If they had to modify the frame, they could easily give more shoulder room and probably even more floor width.
    Also remember that a production car has a relatively thick door because of the glass drop, etc.
    Frankly, the first view a designer or engineer should start with is the main cross body section which is cut through the driver's seat. As far as they are in the process, one has to assume that FFR has worked this all out - still could adjust it if necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Presumably they have sat in their frame and thought about this.
    I'm hoping that my worst fears are totally unfounded, and that I really screwed up that diagram.

I'm not going to worry about it. Not my problem if they got the ergonomics right or wrong. I'm just another fool typing on a keyboard in the end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a screenshot of the top view, taken from the video Factory Five has put online. I estimate cabin width at 47.5 inches.
    F5R 818 top view.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley_2 View Post
    I estimate cabin width at 47.5 inches.
    Not sure if this is the right comparable, just taking a shot at it.

2011 Subaru Impreza WRX - STI - Specifications
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/spec...man_dimensions
    Second Shoulder Room (in)53.2
    53.2 - 47.5 = 5.7"

This is only 1/3 of my worst case study, which is good news.

Smiley-2, your estimated width is for the inside clear dimension and not the outside to outside of the frame dimensions, right?

We would lose another 2-3 inches if that were the case. Still nothing to cry over.

Looks like the cab might be just 6" smaller in width than a regular old Subie.

EDIT
    Double checking.......................................... ....................
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/spec...man_dimensions
    Track Width, Rear (in)60.6
    A-F5R 818 top view.jpg
    Last edited by kach22i; 07-01-2011 at 02:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If anyone wants to be geeky and pedantic, look at any of the available pictures or drawings of the chassis and use the steering wheel diameter as a reference to measure out the cabin width. It should be easy to look up the stock steering wheel width for the wheel they used. Smiley's screen cap would be a good starting point, kach22i's less so.

Me? It's almost beer time. I don't feel the need to worry about this

Post Thanks / Like
    from kach22i --> Smiley-2, your estimated width is for the inside clear dimension and not the outside to outside of the frame dimensions, right?

Right, I measured inside the frame. It turns out being 50% of the wheelbase length.

Post Thanks / Like
    Right, I measured inside the frame. It turns out being 50% of the wheelbase length.
    50 percent, well that's half buddy - why didn't you say so?

Another proportion method.
    A2- F5R 818 top view.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a screenshot of the top view, taken from the video Factory Five has put online. I estimate cabin width at 47.5 inches.
    F5R 818 top view.JPG
    Video online? Where is that?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast