BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's see your interior design

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like FFR has provided adequate hip and shoulder room for their concept of what the 818 is expected to be.
    On the other hand, since this is most likely a street car, I would hope they would reconsider their frame design and make a few improvements while still at this early stage.
    They really should provide better occupant protection and this means several easy modifications to the current design (assuming the frame in the video image, etc. reflects what they mean to build).
    The main side protection member drops way too low toward the front wheel to provide meaningful protection in a side impact. Assuming there are no doors - a big guess, I know , the step over condition will probably allow for a side member at a generally higher level, especially toward the front. It should be widened at the shoulder too. Tied into this structure should be a vertical side member and CROSS CAR beam at the steering wheel support location (not just way up at the foot location). The new, higher side beam should be padded in such a way as to provide less of a concentrated blow onto the occupants, as well as allow several inches of space for deflection before body contact. This would be consistent with production car requirements and provide significantly better side protection than the current design. It would also provide a more roomy feeling too.
    The higher side beam would also help in a front impact by resisting an intrusion into the upper dash panel area.
    Any builder could make these changes on their own but wouldn’t it be better for FFR to do?
    Last edited by olpro; 07-01-2011 at 07:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppenheimer View Post
    Video online? Where is that?
    IIRC it's the design contest winners announcement thread. The same video they played at the open house. You sure you haven't seen it yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    If the seats will be close together as shown, the cup holders and map storage could be outboard - right behind the front tires. If that area is truly unused space (as the frame suggests) that could be a place for a briefcase or a day bag. Access by folding the seats forward?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bromikl View Post
    If the seats will be close together as shown, the cup holders and map storage could be outboard - right behind the front tires. If that area is truly unused space (as the frame suggests) that could be a place for a briefcase or a day bag. Access by folding the seats forward?
    Helmet holders in the doors... like the Stratos. (Yeah, I'm on about the Stratos again. I really really want an 818 Stratos).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockraven View Post
    Helmet holders in the doors... like the Stratos. (Yeah, I'm on about the Stratos again. I really really want an 818 Stratos).
    1. You can get a UK made Hawk from an agent in California I think. Seen ads in Canada for built Hawks (Stratos replicas).

2. If you are talking about the new larger Statos, see the study I started a couple of weeks ago below, and traced over today just for you.

It can be done, just not very original, the contest as I understood it was looking for new ideas.

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x...rial%20Design/

Edit:
    If you really like the new Stratos you have to check this site out.
    http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive...sign-sketches/
    Lancia-Stratos-Design-Sketch-03-lg.jpg

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x...2i/Automobile/
    Last edited by kach22i; 07-02-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure the FFR guys are well aware that original designs don't sell very well. Most people want a replica of a famous car that in original form is financially impossible to obtain... Cobras, Ferrari 250GTs, Stratos, GT40, etc etc. The GTM may be a rare anomaly, but since Dave said there may be three 818 models, I think there's a great possibility of a Stratos model. 3 original designs would be extremely risky.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here’s an old sketch where the functional parts are separate elements floating against a background rather than being integrated into an overall form.
    This is kind of like the interior design of restaurants and retail shops where they tear out the ceiling, paint it all black and just expose the beams, heating ducts and electrical stuff. That is a design mode that could work well for a kit car like the 818.geary3A.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure the FFR guys are well aware that original designs don't sell very well. Most people want a replica of a famous car that in original form is financially impossible to obtain... Cobras, Ferrari 250GTs, Stratos, GT40, etc etc. The GTM may be a rare anomaly, but since Dave said there may be three 818 models, I think there's a great possibility of a Stratos model. 3 original designs would be extremely risky.
    While I agree on a historic level I also think that if FFR pull off the designs that won the competition then there would be buckets of interest in there product as they look amazing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by olpro View Post
    separate elements floating against a background
    I like the idea and words better than the sketch, although it is a cool sketch in it's own right.

How about teardrop shaped pods suspended on rods or rails which seem to float the gages mid-air?

I have a bullet shaped clock similar to the below, but without the base. This is the shape I have in mind.

I should just sketch something up.

http://www.cruisingoods.com/webpages/giftbike.htm
    bulletbg.jpg

EDIT:
    Maybe I should not post a first try, testing out some half baked ideas, but here it is. Needs lots of work but got my feet wet.

Last edited by kach22i; 07-03-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    These two sketches are from Chris Hrabalek's Fenomenon Stratos, displayed in 2005. Considering the 818's narrow cabin and the presence of cross-members, they could be an approach to consider...

interiorsketchiis.jpginteriorsketchis.jpg

source: http://archive.cardesignnews.com/aut...tos/index.html

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kach22i, That’s looking good. Now maybe throw in some corrugated tubular loom for routing the wiring, multi-size the gauges a little, add some cut & sew backpack-like or mesh storage pockets, maybe a map clipboard – like you might see in a light plane.
    It could even pick up elements of a steam punk vibe.
    Personally, I would go with regular cans for the instruments rather than those bullet things.
    Last edited by olpro; 07-03-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by olpro View Post
    some corrugated tubular loom for routing the wiring,
    The post industrial look you describe is one direction I did not think of, very interesting though.

I was more thinking of using those hollow aerofoil shaped aluminum tube spars from the hobby shop. The wires could run hidden in the hollow aerofoil.

I'm currently working on a loudspeaker design where the teardrop shaped tweeter is mounted in front of the woofer cone for a sort of co-axial configuration. The tweeter is suspended and mounted top and bottom (spars running side to side) with the aerofoil spars, tweeter wires running inside the spar.

However one huge advantage of using exposed corrugated tubular loom is that hunting down shorts, open circuits and adding new equipment would be made much easier. In a kit car this could be very important.

The only kit car owner I know had a 550 replica, and besides living in Michigan with unpredictable weather the main reason he sold it was electrical gremlins.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=297-409
    297-409_s.jpg

Plus this..........but larger and more robust construction.
    http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x...C%20Architect/
    Last edited by kach22i; 07-04-2011 at 07:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley_2 View Post
    interiorsketchiia.jpg

While not a big fan of that concept effort, the interior has some cool adaptive possibilities. I can imagine plastic zip on covers for the seats, a drain with weep tubes at the footwell and the quilted top shell fabric being of waterproof material. This would be one neat interior for a convertible, something Jeep owners would be envious of.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It IS an interesting look with the diagonal surface being the major statement.It could all be done with one large fiberglass part with the padding added. It would be impossible to do this idea well with available seats.
    Of course the controls would have to be adjustable to make this concept work and that compromises the simplicity of the statement. Making the steering and pedals slide back and forth is hokey and adjusting the shifter to the driver would really be a problem because this mid engine layout needs a really good shift linkage.

Post Thanks / Like
    i cant say i like that, spending alot of time driving a pickup i know i rely on the space behind the seats for alot of things, putting a big diagonal board across there in my opinion wastes that potential space to put things and for street applications a jack and maybe a donut, or putting a laptop bag out of sight or using the space for a sub/amp seems more appealing then something i will just hit my elbows on

from the space frame there wont be room for anything at the front of the car and unless there is a space at the rear over the engine which is even less practical, space inside the cabin will be all there is available for holding stuff from a quick grocery run or whatever

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ks2 View Post
    i cant say i like that, spending alot of time driving a pickup
    I drive a Chevy S10, no extended cab or anything fancy, just a plain old fashion pick up truck.

The front seat, and behind the seats storage is adequate for me and my stuff.

The problem arises when passengers want to take more than a purse or a single briefcase. Their stuff seems to get all over the place and they are totally lost on how to manage their belongings. Telling them there are milk crates in the bed in which they can toss things seems to strike sheer terror in them.

Post Thanks / Like
    i used to drive an S10 also standard cab and yeah the idea of putting things in the back is for some reason un-fathomable... i have a extended cab ranger now and it seems huge

without some room behind the seats all there will be in this car is passenger seat/footwell... so with a passenger means the only place to put things in in their lap

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most racing type buckets do not have pivoting backs. I personally would want a sliding, pivoting seat - for the reasons you all have mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    there was a discussion of using the stock seats which don't pivot forward much but they do enough to gain access behind them (though some alternative method of sliding them may be needed as the stock brackets and sliders would make the seats too high up on top of the gas tank)

actually looking at the frame there may not be much space at all behind the seats... a laptop bag may be too big, it would be possible to have some storage above the motor in the back, a tray behind the intercooler and above the transmission. even with the cat and muffler routed above the transmission it seems plausible to have a small tray here.. of course this also makes a nice spot to store the removable hard top...

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be okay with that. I even like the elegant, yet purposeful interior of the new Stratos.

Here's the large picture:
    Lancia-Stratos_Concept_2010_1600x1200_wallpaper_0e.jpg Lancia-Stratos_Concept_2010_1600x1200_wallpaper_0f.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cooluser23; 07-07-2011 at 04:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    From a functional point of view, my favorite real-life interior I sat in must be the new Lotus Evora.

or in black:

or white:

We know these interiors aren't particularly heavy, since Lotus' philosophy is "add lightness".

Post Thanks / Like
    I sat in a Lotus Evora last summer/fall. Very easy to get in and out of compared to the first two Elise generations.

Where are the cup holders?
    George; Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911 Targa, 2.7L CIS Silver/Black, owned since 2003
    1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up Truck 4x4 4.3L V6 Black with front and rear spoilers
    1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure the FFR guys are well aware that original designs don't sell very well. ... The GTM may be a rare anomaly, but since Dave said there may be three 818 models, I think there's a great possibility of a Stratos model. 3 original designs would be extremely risky.
    The GTM is not a rare anomaly. Many original kit cars are very successful. (The Rally Fighter from Local Motors, or the dozen exo cars on the market). I know one of the judges dropped the word "Stratos" early on and that has brought a few fans to the forums, but if you listen to what Dave has been saying lately, you'll notice he's saying a whole lot of nothing about the Stratos. I think your best hopes are for something vaguely Stratos-esque and not a replica.

I think most would agree that your criticism of the current three body plan has more to do with it being incongruent with your desires than based in actual fact.

But so as to not hijack a thread with my own subject (ahem) here’s the interior I’m dying for:

Obviously the high-end leather wouldn't come standard, but the layout is very nice. I like how the dials all face the driver.
    I'm waiting to see how the prototype turns out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never 'got' the center mounted gauge thing. IMO, they belong front and center.

Given the choice I prefer simple and well detailed over complex, but unfinished looking.

I'm also unsure how I feel about the current no-console, shoulder-to-shoulder design of the chassis. I'm mainly looking for a street car, so a place to rest an elbow every now and again seems important.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    I never 'got' the center mounted gauge thing. IMO, they belong front and center.

Given the choice I prefer simple and well detailed over complex, but unfinished looking.

I'm also unsure how I feel about the current no-console, shoulder-to-shoulder design of the chassis. I'm mainly looking for a street car, so a place to rest an elbow every now and again seems important.
    Agreed, I personally hate it. I would love it to be just like the Evora however.

Post Thanks / Like
    c'mon guys let's face it, if FFR is going to meet their self imposed budget of $9.900 there's going to be a lot of Subaru parts such as the dash, consoles, visors, interior panels, etc., (of whatever year you plan on using for your donor) in this car. Isn't that the point of a single donor kit, to pirate as much useable stuff from the one donor car as possible?

I'd rather see the guys at FFR spend the money on the chassis, suspension, and body, then on making fancy parts for the interior (unless they are to be molded as part of the body of course) when the donor car already has a fairly sorted out interior.

now lets see some pics of how the stock dashboards and such can be modified with different coverings and materials.

Are there any cool aftermarket gauge faces, or dash inserts so one can add additional gauges, for these things?

Post Thanks / Like
    With this thread in mind, I took some photos at the recent Rolling Sculpture Auto Show in downtown Ann Arbor........enjoy.

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x...20Ann%20Arbor/

1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    A few more, go to the link to figure out which car they are from.

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x...20Ann%20Arbor/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Blue one with the Nardi steering wheel is a 90-93 Miata.

Stock except for "dress up" items like the faux-wood trim, the faux-chrome trim, the door pulls, and the shift knob.

The carpet and seats are different fabrics than stock.

One interesting thought - 914 seats are supposed to be very light and yet comfortable. Also, some Elise seats are similarly light and comfortable and commonly available on the take-off market as owners upgrade to track seats or fancier stuff.

I'm thinking simple, simple, simple. Driver-oriented. I don't need no stinkin' cup holders!
    Last edited by thebeerbaron; 07-11-2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: correction and expansion.

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is an extremely helpful thread, I believe the car will need a very spartan interior to accomplish cost goals (at least model 1), still Lotus does simple interiors well.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a fan of repurposing the Stock subaru dash as it gives a level of professional fit and finish that might be hard to accomplish otherwise. It would also leave the option of HVAC open to the builder. I also feel it can be accomplished within the weight parameters.

However, it appears the current chassis interation places the passengers close together and will not accomodate it.

I like the Fiat X1/9 dash shown above. Simple contours, small ledge for small items. Simple, angled console that works with the other simple shapes. It also looks remarkably like the early Ferrari interior...never knew that, but I suppose it makes sense.

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I know its early, but the discussion and ideas are solid. The Subie guage pod is really pretty and with diff models comes the ability to spend more money or less depending on purposing.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    This is an extremely helpful thread, I believe the car will need a very spartan interior to accomplish cost goals (at least model 1), still Lotus does simple interiors well.
    This is the way forward! keep it simple, cost efficient and lightweight please

oh yea one more thing...

MAKE IT LOOK LIKE THIS! hehehe...
    low slung 818.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I think FFR has a set of suppliers, and I do not want to rain on their hard fought and established status. However I discovered this instrument gauge company on-line today (via a Porsche forum) and think it is worth sharing.

http://www.newvintageusa.com/
    NEW VINTAGE USA
    2415 BURDETTE
    FERNDALE, MI

Not all that far from me.

Sample:
    http://www.newvintageusa.com/performance.html
    1650-03.jpg

It looks like they do design work too.
    http://www.newvintageusa.com/id.html
    WORKING PROTOTYPE/PRODUCTION
    We can hand off data to your supplier/assembler or connect you with our large network of injection molders, stamping suppliers and assemblers to make it all happen for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you accidently find an interior like this, you just have to post it.
    tumblr_lnkv8bZacY1qzn3qto1_500.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
    When you accidently find an interior like this, you just have to post it.
    tumblr_lnkv8bZacY1qzn3qto1_500.jpg
    hahaha! Some rather suggestive hand placement, right?
    I'm waiting to see how the prototype turns out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
    I sat in a Lotus Evora last summer/fall. Very easy to get in and out of compared to the first two Elise generations.

Where are the cup holders?
    You know, it's something I haven't thought of at the time. I'll check out Evoras this weekend if I can remember and will report back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    Glad to see that you think similarly. I'm hoping a simple design, but with attractive styling/shapes (similar to the Evora in concept) is in the cards for the 818. I think this could be accomplished with very few fiberglass pieces.

I'm just hoping it will still be "designed", rather than look like an afterthought. Interiors have become so much more important on modern cars. (as it's all we see while stuck inside our cars in traffic) Another company that does interiors well is Audi (although they do look more complicated to fabricate than Lotus interiors)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_FFR View Post
    hahaha! Some rather suggestive hand placement, right?
    There was a hand in that picture?

Oh, wait, now I see it...

Yeah, that is kinda suggestive.

Also, in playing along with BeerBaron, the last two pictures are an electric-drive converted Fiat X1/9
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?" -George Carlin

Post Thanks / Like
    perhaps it will look something like this...but utilize the Subaru gauge cluster, vents, steering column, vent controls, and other assorted bits and pieces...remember single donor and $9900

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast