Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's see your interior design

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
    perhaps it will look something like this...but utilize the Subaru gauge cluster, vents, steering column, vent controls, and other assorted bits and pieces...remember single donor and $9900

So, basically, it'll look nothing like the picture then?
    Weekends/track days
    1997 Camaro SS 380 rwhp/380 rwtq
    LT1 Stroked to 396. C5 brakes, suspension work, racing seats, roll bar
    Daily driver
    1999 Ford F250 Powerstroke 300 rwhp/600 rwtq
    Custom intake, 4" exhaust, 80 hp DP Tuner PCM tuning 20 MPG highway!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
    So, basically, it'll look nothing like the picture then?
    no...it could look quite a bit like that pic actually, not saying that it will, but it could

here's a pic of the '06 Subaru WRX dash like the one in FFR's donor car

and here's a pic of a GTM dash

now, imagine if you will (Rod Serling voice), the Subaru gauges under that hood in the GTM dash, they both have the round vents at the ends and you could go either round or square (round would probably look better) in the center, as it is in the GTM now, and the 3 round Subaru heat/vent controls would go where the GTM has the 3 round chrome knobs.

since you will be hopefully sitting lower in an 818 then you were in a WRX you won't be able to use the original '06 console because the dashboard will be closer to the floor... but we'll just have to wait and see what FFR comes up with won't we?

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be nice if FFR could find a way to integrate at least the top part and maybe part of the console into the 818. Production car interiors look so much nicer than most kit cars. That GTM interior looks very nice, but I've also read how hard and expensive they are to get that way on the forum. They don't come that nice from FFR.
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D2W View Post
    It would be nice if FFR could find a way to integrate at least the top part and maybe part of the console into the 818. Production car interiors look so much nicer than most kit cars. That GTM interior looks very nice, but I've also read how hard and expensive they are to get that way on the forum. They don't come that nice from FFR.

I'm with you, I'm hoping much of the Subaru interior will be used

Post Thanks / Like
    I like this interior, very functional.

Video link:
    http://www.wimp.com/armoredvehicle/
    George; Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911 Targa, 2.7L CIS Silver/Black, owned since 2003
    1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up Truck 4x4 4.3L V6 Black with front and rear spoilers
    1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
    I like this interior, very functional.

Video link:
    http://www.wimp.com/armoredvehicle/
    Well, um yes -- that's very nice. But it is kind of big, and I don't think it's available in kit form, and probably not well suited to Subie power. Very well equipped dashboard, though.............

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
    perhaps it will look something like this...but utilize the Subaru gauge cluster, vents, steering column, vent controls, and other assorted bits and pieces...remember single donor and $9900

That is what I'm afraid of. The GTM interior looks like an afterthought and screams "kitcar". Of course with the open top design of the 818 the interior will be much more noticeable than it is in the low slung GTM. I would like to be able to part the 818 without immediately showing off the kit car nature of the car.

I'm fine with using the Subie gauge cluster. It's pretty, functional, and can be adapted to many interior designs. I also doubt most passer by's will immediately recognize it as a Subie cluster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooluser23 View Post
    That is what I'm afraid of. The GTM interior looks like an afterthought and screams "kitcar". Of course with the open top design of the 818 the interior will be much more noticeable than it is in the low slung GTM. I would like to be able to part the 818 without immediately showing off the kit car nature of the car.

I'm fine with using the Subie gauge cluster. It's pretty, functional, and can be adapted to many interior designs. I also doubt most passer by's will immediately recognize it as a Subie cluster.
    This is what I love about kit cars. In the $9900 kit (the one I plan to build) I expect the Subaru gauge cluster and not much more on the dash, which I expect to be a gel-coat panel like the rest of the car. I expect that there will be a beautiful blank slate for people who want an OEM-level dash, and I know there are builders and custom shops out there who can do that.

I'd expect the DailyDriver/Eco-818 to have a GTM-level interior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeerbaron View Post
    This is what I love about kit cars. In the $9900 kit (the one I plan to build) I expect the Subaru gauge cluster and not much more on the dash, which I expect to be a gel-coat panel like the rest of the car. I expect that there will be a beautiful blank slate for people who want an OEM-level dash, and I know there are builders and custom shops out there who can do that.

I'd expect the DailyDriver/Eco-818 to have a GTM-level interior.
    I too plan to build an inexpensive roadster or track bodied car first, just to get my feet wet, and I fully expect the dashboard to look like the Porsche 550 Spyder dash (see post #2 of this thread) that I posted earlier, only with the Subaru gauge cluster and steering column, and not much else. Anything other than that would just be a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think they need to make a very simple, modular interior. Make it with a few simple panels designed to be modified. A/C vents or none. Radio or no radio. 23,000 aftermarket gauges or stock Subie gauges. A center console that can be modified for any style shifter, and enough space to cut out some cup holders or leave it solid for a switch panel. I think they did a fair job of this with the GTM, but I think this is an opportunity to kick it up a notch. The beauty of a kit car is that the builder builds it how he/she wants. Designing a dash to be easily modifiable would make it even more appealing to people like me that want to put a personal touch in this project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I like the idea of a modular dash/interior. As long as the style/design is modern, then it will be wide open to user's tastes, what they want to do with it. I like the simplicity of the Lotus Evora interior. It could basically be 1-2 Gel Coated panels, but the curvature is sexy.

Since we were talking about modular interior. Here's the Lotus Evora track version:

I think it would be totally possible to make a street, and a race interior for about the same price. Heck, one could even make a carbon fiber (or fiberglass) panel that would replace the Subaru gauge cluster and allow for custom gauges.

I also hope that the interior is as roomy as a Fiero, and not as cramped as a Mazda Miata, but one can only hope. (the less "dead space" is behind the dash, the better. Since the car won't have airbags, there is no need for the dash to be close to the passengers.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I really like that Evora race interior! I think that is a good general design for this car, but maybe add a little more curvature to the front panel, to flow more with the lines of the car (assuming it's like Xabier's design). I like the general idea of the GTM interior, but I hate the slope of the center console. Make the dash as one fiberglass (or CF option) piece, and make it flow with or without a center console (so you can omit the center console for a track car). Also, ship all of the interior parts solid (no precut holes) so it can be customized for any gauge setup. I guess the biggest challenge will be working around that center structure bar between the passengers. I'll see if i can sketch up a little more of what I'm talking about...I'm horrible at drawing haha

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it, but suddenly I may see a problem with toggle switches naked eyeballs.

I guess that's what seat belts are for, right?

They are recessed in the dash, kind of sort of.

1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it, but suddenly I may see a problem with toggle switches naked eyeballs.

Toggle switches would probably work better on race cars. But yes, that's what seatbelts are for. Anybody who has ever rolled a car will swear by wearing seat belts, people who don't wear them (even/especially on the street) are crazy and in line for the Darwin awards.

btw.: How come there aren't any more sketches of interiors coming along?

Post Thanks / Like

If your face is bouncing off of the dash you have more things to worry about then just your eyes.
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooluser23 View Post
    btw.: How come there aren't any more sketches of interiors coming along?
    I can't speak for anyone else, but work is picking up for me. Deadlines ya know.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a couple with an emphasis on the driver.
    d-pod22.jpgsoftwrap2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    bucket seats may have killed any chance of front-seat "action", but that cockpit is burying it and dancing on its grave...

Post Thanks / Like
    Olpro that is a beautiful design and along the same lines as what I have been looking at.

I want a car that will be a weekend toy but at the same time is not a raw car. I have been looking at interior ideas and like the Infiniti Esscence Concept car which envelops the driver and would hide the central structral bar between the seats.

Infiniti Concept.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    This light weight electric car from Germany has an interesting interior. Which will alter your Mindset?

Images here:
    http://www.autoblog.com/photos/minds...photo-1325645/

Article here:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/04/a...s-first-drive/

Post Thanks / Like
    the front fascia is very Karmann Ghia inspired
    note the similarties between my old car and the Mindset
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    That "Mindset" reminds me of the Nissan Gobi, circa 1990. It had a canvas bag which was a removable glove box too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like this: Let's post sketches/designs of interiors.
    Absent of any news on exterior, why not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Let's be realistic about our interior goals here folks... there's no way you are going to make a sub-$10K kit with OEM quality interior. I actually really like the GTM interior... I expect to see a lot of the same interior techniques for the 818, and I am excited for that. FFR clearly knows what they are doing so I would like to see the "Gen 2 GTM" fabric and stitching method used for the dash, center console, and door cards but other than that it should be used sparingly. Bare Aluminum paneling looks great and I think it would be very complimentary to the design goals of this vehicle as it screams "I am lightweight and purpose built". I love the OEM feel aftermarket gauges with the CF surround that the Gen 2 uses... I believe they are made by Speedhut, but I may be mistaken; center tach, smaller speedo to the right and Oil press, coolant temp, and fuel level to the left. I would also expect to see the vents used again which give a good OEM feel.

The one thing I would like to see revisited for the 818 is to get more of a flat center console unlike the 'euro' style slanted unit used in the GTM.
    FFR GTM and 818 "Lurker"
    1993 Mazda RX-7 R1 LS1/T56
    10.86 @ 129mph

Build & Race Compilation Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMyojHnA1ok

Post Thanks / Like
    i think that adding a few parts to your interior makes it like like a "oem" car and takes away that kit car interior feel /. feels almost like undone this is a cadillac dvd lexus gs 350 speedclusters and a lambo wheel those are things u can pick up at a salvage yard from wrecked cars :-) IMG_0144.jpg gtm interior.jpg i also did a cobra with a bugatti instrument panel ferrari wheel AC-Cobra-interior_87.jpg
    Last edited by NYCarStars; 09-14-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCarStars View Post
    i think that adding a few parts to your interior makes it like like a "oem" car and takes away that kit car interior feel /. feels almost like undone this is a cadillac dvd lexus gs 350 speedclusters and a lambo wheel those are things u can pick up at a salvage yard from wrecked cars :-) IMG_0144.jpg gtm interior.jpg i also did a cobra with a bugatti instrument panel ferrari wheel AC-Cobra-interior_87.jpg
    Problem solved, you guys that need a super nice interior. Looks like these guys will take care of it.
    Christopher "BattleWagon" Mann
    From the planet Gallifrey
    #260 B/S 2006 STI

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crobin4 View Post
    Problem solved, you guys that need a super nice interior. Looks like these guys will take care of it.
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick sketch of what comes to my mind when I think about 818 interior design.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Niburu View Post
    Heh Heh
    Christopher "BattleWagon" Mann
    From the planet Gallifrey
    #260 B/S 2006 STI

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramarryo View Post
    Just a quick sketch of what comes to my mind when I think about 818 interior design.....
    Fancy.

Nice.

Beats the heck out of spray mounting interlocking diamond pattern foam rubber square floor tiles to everything. Something I might do if budget minded and after consuming too many beers.
    Last edited by kach22i; 09-15-2011 at 03:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to see a simple, tasteful, yet flowing design for the 818 interior and (like others) have faith FF will deliver.

This one from an Eagle Speedster caught my eye. I like how the rear deck "waterfalls" down into the console.
    interior.jpg
    2e2df67836a04a37a4e8624a75008595.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D2W View Post
    I agree as well. I want a car that has a modern looking interior. Not something the looks homemade or from the 70s.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 vote for a "modular" interior. I'll probably trim it down to a bare minimum to keep weight down, but it would be good if people had the option of something more comfortable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep this thread going. I'd love to see more interior sketches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
    +1 vote for a "modular" interior.
    I think that I know what a "Modular Engine" is, but what the heck is a "Modular Interior"?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that I know what a "Modular Engine" is, but what the heck is a "Modular Interior"?
    See post #90. Modular interior means having the interior "work" with or without certain components (i.e. the center console). A "modular" interior would look "right" with or without the center console, with stock gauges or aftermarket, race-style toggle switches or OEM-style rockers. I, personally, want to make the interior as OEM-looking as possible, even if it costs extra. I'll be wrapping the interior in Alcantara, CarPC with touchscreen, full color LCD gauges (a-la Aventador/LFA), all built by yours truly. The easier FFR makes this, the more incentive I will have to buy it.

Post Thanks / Like
    A first attempt of a basic dash.

cockpit 2.jpgcockpit 3.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Idesign View Post
    A first attempt of a basic dash.

cockpit 2.jpgcockpit 3.jpg
    I like how you mimicked the FF logo with the different colors in the gauges. With the blue outside sweep of the tach for the outside blue ring and the red smaller ones representing the center red of the logo ...very nice

just add a couple cup holders for the DD types and you'll be all set

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be very happy with that design. Good job Idesign.

Post Thanks / Like
    Idesign, that looks very nice. I like the TT-esque twin columns connecting the dash and center tunnel. Pepper in some Alcantara and stitched leather, a flat-bottom steering wheel, and a cubby for multimedia/audio and it's perfect!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast