Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: need some help, possible donor

Post Thanks / Like

need some help, possible donor

So I looked at a donor today (2005 Saab 9-2x aero, automatic) Car had a few leaks I dont know the severity but I had some concerns. thinking it will be a daily driver for about a year so I would need to fix these issues and sort out the car before tearing it apart.
    Hoping you guys know what is normal and easily repaired or should i stay away.

car has 129000 miles and a rebuilt title rough body

1. leak on passenger side in the front look like the head but hard to tell, there was also some smoke burning off when first started up. so maybe in rear of engine as well.
    2. looked like power steering fluid puddled up around the pump.
    3. Neon Green residue around ac compressor, dried up doesn't look like an active leak.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/attac...&thumb=1&stc=1

oil looked clean
    Stay away or easy fixes?

trying to add a crappy picture
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Easy fix depends on your skill level. I've just been looking at pictures of failed headgaskets that leaked oil down the block, but there are a bunch of oil fittings and the valve cover gasket over there, too. Power steering pump doesn't sound difficult. Seems to me that if you want to drive it for a year, the most important thing is that the engine/trans are sound. What do you think of that?

Post Thanks / Like
    engine sounded ok to me but again I am no expert transmission shifted like it should but only was in a parking lot. Would a knock be noticeable? my buddy thought he heard something i couldnt hear it... no CEL

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you using a stand alone ecu? If not an are planning to use the original, being an automatic it has a slightly different wiring scheme and in my opinion would cause a few more headaches to deal with if you are going to be mating it to a manual transmission. Just my two cents from that standpoint.

Post Thanks / Like
    goal would be to keep it automatic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know if saab suspension parts are the same as wrx?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iblackwe View Post
    Are you using a stand alone ecu? If not an are planning to use the original, being an automatic it has a slightly different wiring scheme and in my opinion would cause a few more headaches to deal with if you are going to be mating it to a manual transmission. Just my two cents from that standpoint.
    I used 04 automatic forester xt ECU's on my 2 cars. Had to add on jumper on one pin to let it know it was a manual. It ran fine except it had a couple of TCM related CEL's. I reflashed to a 2004 forester xt manual flash file. All is good.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sector View Post
    Does anyone know if saab suspension parts are the same as wrx?
    Yes, I believe so. I have saab rear spindles and as far as I could tell, they are identical to my old wrx ones. I would expect the same for the rest of the needed suspension bits.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so relived that they are compatible as made arrangements to pick up full suspension before confirming the fit. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    My Saab came with STI springs/shocks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought, take the car to a mechanic you trust. Even if you don't have a place or mechanic you trust and have done business with, even a place like Midas, Tuffy, even a dealership, will do an insepction. If it costs, bite the bullet and pay. It's peace of mind one way or the other. They tell you the cars good to fixable ok, then you have to decide if the price is worth it. They tell you it's a piece of poop, run from it and whatever you spent is less than finding out later the engine needs rebuilt. Gives you a chance to negotiate the price down the more they find wrong with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for all the help!

well the owner fixed the PS pump and no more leaks purchased the car for $100 less then i was originally going to pay. Drove the car about 40 minutes home and everything felt and sounded great.

Been a while since I have had a turbo car but the turbo lag is apparent but at 2700 rpms you really get thrown back into the seat.

Now I have my Donor, just need to get this thing running perfect and eliminate the turbo lag but i couldnt be happier. Now to save for the kit!

Brett

Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you!! Love to hear when a good deal comes through.