Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Nose cone

Post Thanks / Like

Nose cone

Tried to mock up the nose cone today and it would seem there is appox one and a half inches of overhang to trim off. Is this normal?

The hood and side panels seems to be spot on where they should be.

See picture attached.

Any advise is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    That's correct. The picture shows a mold line that is close to your cut. The nose cone goes under the radiator shell and bolts to the body arms under the hood panel. It will take some shaping to blend well

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemcwilliams View Post
    That's correct. The picture shows a mold line that is close to your cut. The nose cone goes under the radiator shell and bolts to the body arms under the hood panel. It will take some shaping to blend well
    Yeh, I made that line with a sharpie. I was just wondering if it is normal to take that much off.

Post Thanks / Like
    I needed to take off about that much, and ended up cutting it in half and taking some out of the middle to get sides to fit without bolts on sides of grill. It is curing with new ends (to long) and halfs put back together. Will put some pics in build thread.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    The build school says to start with the nose cone and then fit the other pieces. I'm not sure I like that idea, but, you really want to know how much "rake" you want on the grille first and then work from there. You may want to get the hood and grille finalized and then chop up the nose like '32 did. You can't see the nose so that's the one to leave for last. Get your side panels and Grille straight, then do the nose. I didn't have that much variation, but I switched to a whole different front part way through.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's also too wide as supplied.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found mine was also way to wide to bolt to the body once the body is squeezed onto the mounts at the front. I the nose down the center ant then bolted the two halves onto the body which gave me the perfect fit with the center joint overlapped. It was a matter of cutting down the center of the overlap, bonding the halves together with several layers of S-glass and now it fits, goes on and off with ease, and looks right. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brave Salmon View Post
    I found mine was also way to wide to bolt to the body once the body is squeezed onto the mounts at the front. I the nose down the center ant then bolted the two halves onto the body which gave me the perfect fit with the center joint overlapped. It was a matter of cutting down the center of the overlap, bonding the halves together with several layers of S-glass and now it fits, goes on and off with ease, and looks right. Good luck.
    How much width did you take out of the nose??
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Dale, first time through, I took out a pie shaped wedge 0 at the front and 1.25" at the rear. Final time around I ended up removing another 1" total to get it to fit right. Since it is easy to stick it together at the seam with a little glass and resin, I would say take it out in small increments until you get your desired fitment. Remember, you can even do one half at a time if you pull a string line under and just build each half to the line. Then glass it lightly, check the fit and final glass the thing. Good luck,
    Tom
    Last edited by Brave Salmon; 04-25-2017 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Soelling