Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Redneck Door Opening Handkes

Post Thanks / Like

Redneck Door Opening Handkes

I cringe every time I post what I am doing on here. Compared to the work you guys do it is daunting to put my stuff up. Still I have always gotten great suggestions from you all so here goes. I have been wrestling with the door openers for quite a while. My issue is when I got the door aligned then the least bind in the latch mechanism would also cause a bind when you tried to used the door pulls. The old school half moons looked great but I went ahead and searched around as best as I could to find a solution for me. I found these ratty handles at the hardware store. I figures heck they are threaded and if they work I can get a machine shop to make be a better set, or do it myself., Anyhow I installed the first one on the driver's side. I have used it for about 8 months. The door stays solid. It is aligned and pressure to pop the door is negligible. I think extending the leverage on the little tab at the top of the latch has made a good difference. Today I put on the passenger side and the door just works better now. I have a lot of fitment let on the passenger side, probably going to take some carbon fiber and fiberglass molding as the door skin seems warped. But the handles and latches work. IMG_0869.jpg

Big problem is the mess I made of the panels that came with the kit. Whenever I try to tighten the panels down they interfere with the latches so I just cut everything away so that nothing contacted the latch or handles. Door is amazingly smooth on bot5h side. So I figured I would make a panel to cover the door panel up front. I am thinking carbon fiber though I might well go to aluminum. So I cut out a template IMG_0856.jpgIMG_0857.jpgIMG_0858.jpg

I used an old piece of styrofoam to transfer the shape of the template to. Then cut it out with a hot-knife. Once cut I sanded the e3dges and measured the handle travel access. One of the problems is to put the handle on before or after the panel. Ion the end the handles will protrude through the paned enough I can get a wrench on them and tighten them down .IMG_0860.jpgIMG_0861.jpgIMG_0862.jpgIMG_0864.jpgIMG_0866.jpg
    Last edited by wrp; 07-05-2017 at 10:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real perty is nice, But Dam it needs to WORK. My latches work real good if i push on arm, but not so good with with the pin.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I can make a plate to dress this up and I will do some handles out of billet aluminum. Worse case I will either remake the whole panel or buy two more from FFR

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been avoiding this and working on other stuff in hopes you guys would figure it out!! I'm not ready for the pleated giraffe hide yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    LoL do they make pleated Giraffe Hide? Where can I get some. Being in Texas I was going to trim it with Jalapeņo Christmas lights, flashing of course, along with fringe lace and Gothic Printing

Post Thanks / Like
    So as the saga continues, I was looking for my carbon fiber and found some really nice sheets of abs plastic. I went ahead and cut a blank out of a sheet. I figure I can use this for the carbon fiber bag process.

IMG_0876.jpgIMG_0877.jpg

Still leaves me with the dilenmna on the transition between the traditional panel and the new plate, I figure I will turn an edge on the carbon fiber perimeter that literally fits over the existing panel and the only thing I have to resolve is the strip down the middle of the panel

IMG_0870.jpgIMG_0870.jpgIMG_0871.jpgIMG_0873.jpgIMG_0874.jpgIMG_0875.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay so today played the fiberglass and carbon fiber and bagged it. We are keeping it under pressure for a while and should be ready to go tomorrow.

IMG_0881.jpgIMG_0884.jpgIMG_0887.jpgIMG_0888.jpgIMG_0890.jpgIMG_0891.jpgIMG_0893.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wrp; 04-08-2017 at 06:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welp, any of you guys that are astute and know composites probably got a chuckle out of the absence of the release film in the bag. At least I now know how to do the bagging and I understand the importance of the release film. So for round two I decided to just do both and to carbon fiber skin ABS Plastic cut pieces.I also am using much tighter grained carbon fiber fabric and changed to slow drying harder. My original intention was to build the part like Micarta is built, put it in a mold and then put pressure on it. This time however I tried a different approach. I cut the parts out in ABS plastic then cut a dry layer of fabric to go over the Plastic. I Sprayed some adhesive on the surface of the plastic and smoothed the Carbon fiber cloth over it, then wrapped the edges and glued the cloth to the back. I covered the back in tape so it would completely cover the back and the plastic right up to the edge. That way when I applied the Resin I could go bought to the outer edge of the bottom without getting the resin on the backside of the part.

IMG_0957.jpgIMG_0956.jpgIMG_0961.jpg

I found out quickly I didn't know much about air bubbles, I am still learning on that. I did however manage to get a good thick initial coat on the parts. I had intended to use wax paper in lieu of film to lay on the top of the part and roll it. I didn't and would up with a couple of bubbles I will have to repair as I go on. Anyhow, got the resin on and dry I presume the textured output was due to either bubbles or too much adhesive. I waited several hours until the resin was set but tacky, then put a second coat of resin on it. This time I used a hair dryer to keep bubbles out of the finish. Once the second coat had cleared I pulled the tape and trimmed the back edges of the parts. I have also sanded the face of the part to smooth out the low areas. I will go with another couple of coats of resin to build it smooth then polish it off.

IMG_0963.jpg IMG_0969.jpg IMG_0967.jpg IMG_0966.jpg
    Last edited by wrp; 04-22-2017 at 09:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So today I sanded the first coat and put on a second coat. Seem to be having trouble with bubbles but I think I am learning fast.

IMG_0981.jpgIMG_0986.jpgIMG_0988.jpgIMG_0989.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Went back through and sanded the pieces off again. figured I would try to fix the hole I have before I got much further along

IMG_1026.jpg

Learned about handling air bubbles too

Post Thanks / Like
    So, narrowing it down I am finding my talents most suited towards a good 2-3 coat epoxy finish, sanded, with 2-3 clear coats. Over time I may learn to do it better but I am pretty stoked with the results.

IMG_1042.jpgIMG_1043.jpgIMG_1044.jpgIMG_1045.jpgIMG_1047.jpgIMG_1048.jpgIMG_1049.jpgIMG_1050.jpgIMG_1051.jpg

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Door latches are really quite simple. Most latches only require a very small movement of a lever arm to unlatch. I used Watson's neat knobs that can be placed anywhere, since they have a cable to pull on the latch arm.

Here's link to Watson's. http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/l...eleases?page=2

Here's a link to the neat knob instructions. https://www.watsons-streetworks.com/image/data/B19.pdf

With suicide doors, safety pins are a must, IMO. I've suffered from a door blown open at speed and it's not pretty. Even with safety pins you have to remember to engage them!

There are some poorly made latches being sold and I think that AutoLoc is one of them. I like their electric operators, but I found that the latches required far too much cable pulling force to open and they were also prone to opening on their own. I switched to latches made by Tri Mark. A light pull on the neat knob opens the door and they seem to latch more easily.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave, I have already ruined my door panels so I am at a point of trying to just get something that works and doesn't look hideous. I have tried bear claw latches from three different vendors, I also have two sets of electric door poppers, nearly $600 worth of stuff in that alone. I also have the cable pulled oval door interior handles that I think came with the original kit. The issue I have found is any remote cable pulls and many inferior latch kits will be prone to allowing you to bind the pivot arm, increasing the wear and pressure on the latch and the surrounding door trim. I suppose the best approach would have been just to give someone that has a lot of experience a couple of grand to mount and straighten the doors. My current solution is not much different from what you are recommending just no remote location. My 5 year old grandson can open the door with one finger and the latches engage fully when closing them. I like the billet handles in the lever release kit. Fact is if you look at the installation instructions that is pretty much what I had to come to grips with to solve my problem. I might buy the kits just to get the billet knobs and supporting nuts and bolts.

I don't have near the talent most of you guys have but I am having a ball learning things like laying carbon fiber and working with fiberglass. When I finish this setup the carbon fiber panels on the latch mechanism will match up nicely with the kicker panels from Mike which I have also skinned in Carbon Fiber. Point well taken on the safety pins.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wrp; 04-29-2017 at 11:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Remaing two pictures showing the expose area I am covering.

IMG_1062.JPGIMG_1063.JPG

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The door latch setup on the '33 is goofy, IMO. I've never seen any hot rod body that doesn't have the latch mounted inside the door, so all of the mechanics are out of site. That does require a fair amount of inner width, but to me, the exposed latches are not attractive. I have seen cars with latches mounted in the kick panel area, with the strike bolt in the door. That setup makes an electric operator a must, since the manual latch knob might be very inconvenient to operate.

This is a trimark large bear claw latch with an autoloc operator bolted to it with two 10-32 screws. I added an additional arm for the manual latch cable. It barely fits inside this door that I'm working on, for a friend. These doors came with no provisions for operable windows.

I chose to use .050 aluminum to cover my doors, side panels and back panels. This pic shows the neat knob and my home made grab handle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Love that car Dave. Really like the pedal room and the console work you have done. The doors look clean. I am looking at a shroud for the latch area, which is why I am screwing around with the CF in the first place. Starting to mock fit my panels now. Wish I had a friend who could set up my doors and windows.

IMG_1062.JPGIMG_1064.JPGIMG_1063.JPGIMG_1065.JPGIMG_1066.JPGIMG_1067.JPGIMG_1068.JPGIMG_1069.JPGIMG_1070.JPGIMG_1071.JPG
    Last edited by wrp; 04-30-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the kick plates another step closer. This isn't the final product but sort of the last stage prototype, explaining the additional holes etc. Once I get everything fitted and installed I will make e end pieces. One of the issiues I ran into is that with the kick panels installed, there is a gap between the bottom of the panel and the edge of the body fiberglass at the front part of the sill where the curve is. I am going to make a two part insert that can cover that and work the transition.

IMG_1255.jpgIMG_1256.jpgIMG_1260.jpgIMG_1263.jpgIMG_1262.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    So moved from a cardboard template to Aluminum. Have'n decided to put a real Carbon Fiber Skin on it or just polish and let it go.

IMG_1312.jpgIMG_1313.jpgIMG_1314.jpgIMG_1315.jpgIMG_1316.jpgIMG_1317.jpgIMG_1318.jpgIMG_1319.jpgIMG_1320.jpgIMG_1321.jpg
    Last edited by wrp; 06-12-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a better set of handles and fabricated a more efficient way to mount them. Still need to shorten the support rod to move the handle in. Once I get everything aligned and tight I will remake the Door panel piece.

IMG_1363.jpgIMG_1414.jpgIMG_1417.jpgIMG_1419.jpgIMG_1420.jpgIMG_1422.jpgIMG_1427.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

interior seats

I am looking for suggestions on for different seating, I live in Wyoming and it is 2 hrs to the next sizable town so I need some comfort for those long trips. Recommendations, tips and tricks for seats and harnesses would greatly be appreciated.
    The seats and belts in the above pictures look like they would be better than the race seats I have.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS53 View Post
    The door latch setup on the '33 is goofy, IMO. I've never seen any hot rod body that doesn't have the latch mounted inside the door, so all of the mechanics are out of site. That does require a fair amount of inner width, but to me, the exposed latches are not attractive. I have seen cars with latches mounted in the kick panel area, with the strike bolt in the door. That setup makes an electric operator a must, since the manual latch knob might be very inconvenient to operate.

This is a trimark large bear claw latch with an autoloc operator bolted to it with two 10-32 screws. I added an additional arm for the manual latch cable. It barely fits inside this door that I'm working on, for a friend. These doors came with no provisions for operable windows.

I chose to use .050 aluminum to cover my doors, side panels and back panels. This pic shows the neat knob and my home made grab handle.