Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: GTM Door Frame Help!!

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

GTM Door Frame Help!!

I am installing the door frames in my doors. The manual is pretty good on the hinge side of the door but seems to totally forget to help with the latch side. Does anyone have some good photos of where you cut the door for the latch opening?? Do the aluminum spacers go between the latch and the bracket? Is the place where I have an X marked where you cut out for the latch? Any help is very much appreciated. This manual compared to all the other FFR kits is severely lacking IMO. But I guess that is part of the fun, right??? TW I have searched the post, but no luck finding a good photo to help me out.

IMG_1650.JPGIMG_1651.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 04-03-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe this site can help you. Ton of informational detail with photos.

http://gator823-ls7gtm-primary.hgsitebuilder.com/

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks that was a big help.

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of notes here:

The door frames.....we always cut the hinge end completely off the door frame...cut the square tubes off right at the reinforcement plates. If you do not do this.....in my experience....you will never get your window installed and adjusted to fit due to frame/window regulator interference. The door frame tubes need to be located as far inboard toward the inner door panel as you can get them. We use the inner door panel as a gauge to measure how far inboard we can go...then weld the tubes back together by bridging them with some small pieces of steel.

Knowing where to cut the hole for the latch is critical. You can do this with great precision so that you don't end up with a massive hole in the end of your door with it all cut up as you try to adjust your door after you find out your latch is off by a mile. First, get your door....just the bare fiberglass door shell......trimmed down so that it will just fit in the body opening perfectly. No gaps......just take enough off of the door so that it fits into the door opening perfectly and all of the body lines perfectly match at the front and rear of the door. Next, take a flashlight and shine it thru the fiberglass behind the door striker mount on the frame so that you can tell exactly where the center of the slot is in the door striker and mark that point on the body. Drill a 1/8" hole thru the body at that point. You want that hole to be exactly centered in the chassis striker slot. Now position the door in the door opening and make it a perfect fit....get all of your body lines perfectly aligned and the door perfectly flush with the body, just like it will be after the car is painted. From the rear wheel well area, reach up to the striker with a straight pick or something similar and push the pic straight thru the 1/8" drilled hole. You don't want to angle the pick around.....aim it straight thru the hole, perpendicular to the striker surface and mark the door. The mark you just put on the door is the exact center of the door latch with the latch closed. You can lay the RH latch onto the LH door with the latch closed to mark exactly where the latch will be located....use the LH latch on the RH door to trace it's location. Do not cut out that whole end of the door around the latch. Only cut whatever fiberglass interferes with installing the latch in the door.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Shane. I was trying to do the doors ahead of time to stay busy. I will set them aside and do as you said. That seems like a good way of doing it. I am thankful for all the help from guys who have built GTM's before. The manual sure does leave a lot to be desired, IMO. The other FFR manuals are so much better. IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Thanks Shane. I was trying to do the doors ahead of time to stay busy. I will set them aside and do as you said. That seems like a good way of doing it. I am thankful for all the help from guys who have built GTM's before. The manual sure does leave a lot to be desired, IMO. The other FFR manuals are so much better. IMO.
    That brings up an interesting point. I think Shane previously had been talking about putting together an alternate build manual for the GTM that actually told people how to build one as opposed to suggesting what might be done. What happened to that project Shane? As before, I am sure that every GTM owner would be willing to pay you for your insights. Have you been working on this at all over the years since it was first discussed?
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually started on a manual.....and found I just don't have the time to put into it. Between keeping GTM builds going, GTM parts orders, armor orders and life in general....the time to put into a manual just isn't there.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I am glad you are busy! I know I have enjoyed all I have bought from you. Your help is much appreciated as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had this issue on my old GTM....could never get the window to line up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am finally starting on the body work. Shane's instructions help a lot. Unfortunately the previous owner had already cut some of the holes. Thanks Shane!
    Ken