Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MK 4 - 1994 Pedal box - brake pedal interference

Post Thanks / Like

Cool MK 4 - 1994 Pedal box - brake pedal interference

Quick question for you smarter than me people building a MK 4.

I have my 1994 Mustang pedal box installed, bolted to the front firewall. My problem is this: The clutch pedal goes all the way back toward the driver at resting position and all the way forward with no problem. The PROBLEM is that the brake pedal doesn't - going back to rest it hits the cross bar tube and doesn't allow the pedals to line up at rest.

Can I notch the 3/4" cross tube that the pedal hits or cut it thru and put a patch on the back (toward driver) to strengthen it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you modify the pedal box as per the manual by removing the spacers where it mounts to the front of the foot box? If it is modified you should have lots of travel for the brake pedal. I had to put a pedal stop on the 3/4 frame to stop the pedal moving too far back and pulling the brake push rod out of the master cylinder. Ended up buying a Whitby adjustable push rod from Breeze to get the pedal height correct. I wouldn't make any changes to the frame until the master cylinder is installed and you get the rest of the linkages hooked up for the other pedals.

HTH

Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    Echo Norm. And the adjustable master cylinder brake pushrod from Breeze is well worth it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Since the clutch pedal travels a lot further than the brake pedal, I have my clutch about 1.5 inches closer to me than the brake when they are both at rest.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are 2 pictures to see. I have the pedal box spacers removed and it's flat against the front. I'm doing the Whitby Power Brakes and have the pushrod turned all the way in per instructions.

The second picture shows that my clutch pedal is about 1"-1.5" farther back toward me at rest (gas pedal in rear not hooked up).

Pedal box.jpgPedals.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Boosted brakes or no? If not, did you modify the pedal per instructions for proper mechanical advantage and stroke?
    ~ Bruce
    MK4 #8189
    400hp 351w, TKO600, 3.27 3-link

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Went with the power brakes from Whitby and it doesn't say I have to do anything to the brake pedal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixmsb View Post
    Here are 2 pictures to see. I have the pedal box spacers removed and it's flat against the front. I'm doing the Whitby Power Brakes and have the pushrod turned all the way in per instructions.

The second picture shows that my clutch pedal is about 1"-1.5" farther back toward me at rest (gas pedal in rear not hooked up).

Pedal box.jpgPedals.jpg
    Thats normal with donor pedal box>.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would put a pedal stop on the clutch pedal if the offset look bothers you. Just make sure you still have enough travel.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Thats normal with donor pedal box>.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I was just worried I had done something wrong. I'll add a stop to the clutch pedal and get them in a line.

Bruce Krist
    (soon to have the motor installed)

MK4