Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 - carpet removability options?

Post Thanks / Like

818 - carpet removability options?

What is the best idea you have seen for making carpet removable? I do not like the idea of spray gluing it in place. I am presently thinking velcro in key places and binding the edges of the carpet pieces.

Full disclosure: I have not searched this topic so sorry if I have missed something already posted.

-Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    What is the best idea you have seen for making carpet removable? I do not like the idea of spray gluing it in place. I am presently thinking velcro in key places and binding the edges of the carpet pieces.

Full disclosure: I have not searched this topic so sorry if I have missed something already posted.

-Ben
    I did not have good luck with self adhesive velcro and the FFR supplied carpet. The velcro sticks to itself better than it does to the carpet and tears off the carpet when you try to remove it. Sewn on might work better. I did use the stick on type binding with good results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Learn from Toyota's mistake. Glue the carpet down so it will never move.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...xus-crash.html

Post Thanks / Like
    From my experience being an aircraft technician/supervisor/manager for many years, in critical areas, such as the cockpit, we either screwed it through the floor or glued it down with Weldwood Contact Adhesive (Landau Top & Trim, HHR SolventType, Spray Grade, sprayed from a 'paint' gun; all other adhesives just do not work long term). You may pull the carpet up with this Weldwood adhesive by hand (but you have to be careful). Velcro has poor staying power in this application.
    Last edited by fastzrex; 04-04-2017 at 05:37 PM.
    ~ Mark

818C S/N 429ES: Start Date 1 September 2016
    2001 NB Miata LS3 V8 440 rwhp
    2004 Miata MazdaSpeed Factory Turbo

Post Thanks / Like

fenders my finders look worst

Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post

-Ben
    Ha Ben I a'm responding to one of your old post. My fenders look worst than yours. I would like to know what you did to repair them and how they look now. I live close to you in Salem HN and work in Andover. I a'm building a 818s just finished go-cart stage. Maybe we could get together and compare note some time. I do have one problem does anyone know how to turn off the airbag warning light on the dash panel ?
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    You could pm ben1272 you might get a faster response. As for gluing or Velcro I would follow fastzrex, my ffr carpet kit is lifting in a few areas already and the car has only sat outside for a few weeks tops as a roadster.