Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Evaluating Options-Need advise MK4

Post Thanks / Like

Evaluating Options-Need advise MK4

Finding out that the rear brakes are not included,,,is that right???
    Can anyone advise me on the options of brake packages available. Also the value of the IRS vs standard. Lastly rear rend choices???? How much bang to you get for your buck.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're asking some pretty big questions that could have long answers. But I'll give an initial response.

No, rear brakes aren't included. Because they vary based on rear axle/suspension, and what you do there also varies, they aren't part of the kit package. Only as added options. Regarding options for rear end choices, first these kits are based on the Ford 8.8 diff. Either solid axle 8.8 or the 2015+ Mustang based IRS. Actually now called "Super 8.8" by Ford but in the same family. Most including me would recommend considering either the solid axle 3-link setup or the IRS.

Not sure if by value you're asking value to you as the owner/driver or resale value. IRS is going to give you the best ride and with the newer design also the best performance. But the 3-link is also good if that's your budget. The IRS will give you better resale. Will it pay back the difference? Hard to say. I'd recommend making your choice based on how you're going to use the car and your budget vs. whatever its resale value is, if that's your question. IMO the resale value will vary as much or more on the quality of the build and the parts used (engine, trans, etc.) vs. what rear suspension is installed.

Once you pick which rear suspension and axle you'll use, you will have options for OE style brakes or various Wilwood upgrades. For regular street driving and even some track use, the OE style brakes can be made to work well and are a good value. Lots of people (including me) use Wilwoods. They're nice but not cheap. There are also third party options for brakes. It can get complicated.

That just scratches the surface, but hopefully gets you started. Others can add more. Don't hesitate to have this conversation with Factory Five. They can discuss options with you as well.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-04-2017 at 06:01 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.