Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: AWIC Interchiller or CO2 charge

Post Thanks / Like

AWIC Interchiller or CO2 charge

Has anyone considered or done an interchiller (use your a/c system and refrigerant) or used CO2 to cool their AWIC setup? I ask because if not, I'm looking to pioneer the idea when I start in on my build. If I go the interchiller route, I estimate it'll add about 25#, but allow well below ambient IATs in a stable platform with the evaporator sandwiched in behind my oil cooler in the driver's scallop for air flow. A friend is also looking at designing a CO2 setup for cooling the charge (he's my mad scientist buddy who also happens to be a GM engineer). Just asking around before I look further into it and start mapping it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Using your AC is likely a losing battle. Given losses to inefficiency you'll likely lose more power than you'd gain. A Co2 setup can help but you'd need a big bottle that would have to constantly be refilled. For something like that that gives short performance gains (say, for a single drag or autocross run) you can use an icebox in line with the AWIC.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like back to the drawing board....

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember the ford lightning did something with the ac compressor to chill the intercooler.

Post Thanks / Like
    You'd do better with a water-meth injection system. They are pretty well engineered and understood now. The pioneers got burned a lot when the injection failed to work, but the new systems have some fail safe features that make that unlikely. You don't want to push your tune to the edge with one though, just in case it fails to inject at a critical time.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer