Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Routing for wiring

Post Thanks / Like

Routing for wiring

Trying to get something done that makes me feel like I am making some progress. I put the gas tank in, drop box taped in above it. Plumbed in the pressure and return lines to the tank. That push and twist hose is some tough stuff. I had to drive the hose onto the barb. I can see how they say it does not need a clamp, but I did anyway. Back to the wiring. I sure could use a picture of some options on hanging the rear wiring, lights and tag lights. I got the pump and sending unit on and zip tied like edwardb. Those connectors do not stay down too well.
    I get some work done and have to reference the site for the next step.
    Jay at FF is sending me the correct foot box front for the drivers side, as soon as they get it powder coated.
    Thanks again for the help on that.
    If some one wants to post pics of the R Francis harness front to rear mounting, I am sure it would help me.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you have the harness in place to some extent. Here's a full description. Take what you think is helpful. The rear harness exits the dash area at the top corner of the DS inner footbox panel. There’s a small cutout already in that location of the panel. But it needs to be enlarged to get the cable through. I line the opening with a piece of split fuel tubing with enough silicone to seal. I run the harness along the underside of the DS transmission tunnel 3/4-inch tube. I hold it with padded clamps and 3/16-inch rivets. This isn’t the best picture, but you can see the clecos where the clamps are being installed and just see the cable.

In this picture you can see where it’s routed under the trunk floor with legs to the tank sender and fuel pump. Plus legs routed to each corner for the lights. Also mounted with padded clamps and 3/16-inch rivets. Also visible in this pic at the top RH corner is the small leg that needs to be routed into the trunk area and eventually into the trunk lid for the license plate light. I put that leg through the trunk floor right behind the PS rear roll bar stub.

One other hint. Lots of people (including me) like to have a trunk light. I add a wire into the rear harness for that and attach to the courtesy light circuit. It goes into the same branch as the license plate light into the trunk area. Also if you want (or are required to have) a backup light, you can add the wire for that into the rear harness as well.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-04-2017 at 05:07 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks edwardb. I appreciate your time, as always, in helping me.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unlike Ed, I routed and fastened my rear wire harness for lights and fuel tank, above the fuel tank to the trunk floor framing. It then runs forward, through the tranny tunnel.

The positive battery cable is also housed in this same loom, as I have a trunk mounted battery. My master switch shuts off the battery ground (negative), rather than positive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    Unlike Ed, I routed and fastened my rear wire harness for lights and fuel tank, above the fuel tank to the trunk floor framing. It then runs forward, through the tranny tunnel.
    Looks the same as mine. Your picture from the top. Mine from the bottom.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Looks the same as mine. Your picture from the top. Mine from the bottom.
    Ahh..Brain fart..
    Actually I was looking at your trunk floor, and thinking it was the fuel tank..lol.. I'm used to seeing raw aluminum, rather than paint/coated, so I think that may have thrown me off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Both pictures help. Thanks guys. I might get it right the first time, with all the good help.
    My battery is in the trunk, drop box, also. Still undecided on the location of the disconnect switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    Ahh..Brain fart..
    Actually I was looking at your trunk floor, and thinking it was the fuel tank..lol.. I'm used to seeing raw aluminum, rather than paint/coated, so I think that may have thrown me off.
    No sweat. Thought I might have been missing something. It's all good.

Post Thanks / Like
    I see many builders put the battery cut off switch between the pax and driver's seat. If up side down on the track how do the track workers turn off the battery?

Post Thanks / Like
    If your racing the car seriously, you wouldn't be allowed to mount a cut off switch there anyway. I imagine you could probably get away with it for track days, and competition driving lessons, as they are expected to be a little less intense.

It's a good point though, and perhaps a good reason to mount it at least where you can reach it, if hanging upside down in the harness. I installed mine, more with security in mind, but I have thought about it from the safety point since then, and think I would do it different.

Post Thanks / Like
    x2. True race setups require them on the outside of the car as well plus an arrow/sign pointing to it. Doubt you're going there... I too mainly look at it for security and safety while in my annual winter shutdown. But it's also a safety thing that I want to be able to reach while buckled in. Since I like the front mount battery, having it centered under the dash in the front works well. On the back wall for a rear mounted battery is a good location too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Edwardb? I cannot find this hole or location. My panels may be different. If you can locate me by measurement or a picture of the panel with the hole in it, I will be even more indebted. I pasted your description below to reference what I am asking about.

The rear harness exits the dash area at the top corner of the DS inner footbox panel. There’s a small cutout already in that location of the panel. But it needs to be enlarged to get the cable through. I line the opening with a piece of split fuel tubing with enough silicone to seal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    Edwardb? I cannot find this hole or location. My panels may be different. If you can locate me by measurement or a picture of the panel with the hole in it, I will be even more indebted. I pasted your description below to reference what I am asking about.
    I think maybe the hole just above the left side trans tunnel, just below the 2x2 under the dash. (far right in the picture)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    That will work. I can cut a hole to look like that. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    I think maybe the hole just above the left side trans tunnel, just below the 2x2 under the dash. (far right in the picture)
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    That will work. I can cut a hole to look like that. Thank you.
    That's the one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again, guys.