Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Undercoat material?

Post Thanks / Like

Undercoat material?

I've noticed a lot of guys undercoat the bodies with bed-liner material. There appears to be two different types of DIY bed-liner material available. A rubberized version and a hard version. What are you guys using for this?
    Purchased and un-assembled Mk3 in 2016. 5.0, Aluminum heads, Performer RPM Air gap, Quick Fuel 650 carb, BBK headers T5, 3.55 rear solid axle, Koni Shocks, PS with Hydra-boost. Also own two restored vintage Mustangs, two Model A fords, 1941 Chevy truck and several other hot rods.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the "rubberized" stuff in the spray cans (about 4!). I got it at the local auto parts store.
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using U-POL Raptor. It tends to dry a little harder but not brittle.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really prefer Herculiner (harder finish and clean edges with tape) and used it in select areas. Da Bat talked me out of doing the entire underbody because from his vast experience, it really makes it difficult to repair the external paint/fiberglass. It's a trade off - I think it looks more finished when you don't see raw fiberglass...

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the Dupli-Color bed liner. It takes about 2 gallons total to coat the underside of the body AND the road-facing aluminum panels.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cgundermann View Post
    I really prefer Herculiner (harder finish and clean edges with tape) and used it in select areas. Da Bat talked me out of doing the entire underbody because from his vast experience, it really makes it difficult to repair the external paint/fiberglass. It's a trade off - I think it looks more finished when you don't see raw fiberglass...

Chris
    I used the same material too. I put 3-4 coats in the areas above the were the tires would be. I wanted to make sure that I don’t get a star in the fiberglass from a rock thrown by the tires.
    Doug
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the Dupli-color bed liner also. On a hot summer day I rolled the raw body outside on the body buck. Flipped it upside down on the front lawn. A quick de-burr with a belt sander is all the prep required. NO ONE will see the underside of the body. I coated the entire underbody with one coat then used up through rest of the can with multiple coats in the wheel well areas where rocks will get kicked up. All done and dry in about an hour.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if any of these can be painted after curing.

Joey

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by daltmcintyre View Post
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if any of these can be painted after curing.

Joey
    I've been told so and have tried it with Herculiner. Herculiner you can get in black & gray. A lot of the other products also come in colors. I used a bedliner product called Monstaliner for my trunk (orange) and they have a ton of colors to choose from.

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by japollon View Post
    I am using U-POL Raptor. It tends to dry a little harder but not brittle.
    Ditto On The U-POL Raptor!

Love This Stuff & It's Great For Pirogue Floors Too!

If you want to see what a Pirogue is then open this link:

http://www.pirogue.com/
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-15-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for reply's. I never thought about coating the wheel well panels. And I certainly want to avoid any star cracks in the paint due to rocks, etc.

And now I know what Pirogue is. Perhaps GoDadGo could put SBC in one someday.......

Jim
    Purchased and un-assembled Mk3 in 2016. 5.0, Aluminum heads, Performer RPM Air gap, Quick Fuel 650 carb, BBK headers T5, 3.55 rear solid axle, Koni Shocks, PS with Hydra-boost. Also own two restored vintage Mustangs, two Model A fords, 1941 Chevy truck and several other hot rods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JRD56 View Post
    Thanks for reply's. I never thought about coating the wheel well panels. And I certainly want to avoid any star cracks in the paint due to rocks, etc.

And now I know what Pirogue is. Perhaps GoDadGo could put SBC in one someday.......

Jim
    In addition, I just installed Alex's wheel well liners to prevent rock damage and minimize road noise. Very nice OEM look and fit:

http://acroadsterinteriors.com/Fenderliners.html

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cgundermann View Post
    In addition, I just installed Alex's wheel well liners to prevent rock damage and minimize road noise. Very nice OEM look and fit:

http://acroadsterinteriors.com/Fenderliners.html

Chris
    If cg.... is doing it that's good enough for me. Herculiner and fenderliners it is.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JRD56 View Post

Jim
    We put small GoDevil long tails on the flat back pirogues.

http://www.godevil.com/
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-16-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    If cg.... is doing it that's good enough for me. Herculiner and fenderliners it is.
    If only my sons subscribed to that logic...LOL...