Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Oil priming

Post Thanks / Like

Oil priming

Hey guys,
    I've got a 427w that has been sitting for about 6 months in the crate. It was run on the dyno and then the oil was drained and it was parked in a crate.
    I am curious, how critical is oil priming? I ask because I called the engine builder (a reputable builder) and he told me to fill the engine and oil filter with oil, remove the spark plugs, put some oil in the cylinders, rotate them by hand with the plugs out. Then crank the engine over until there is oil pressure, then reinstall the plugs and start it up.
    Does this sound OK? I would like to oil prime it through the distributor but I do not really want to mess with engine timing. What are your thoughts...
    Hurricane HM-2016, 9" Ford w/3.50, 427W, TKO 600.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd do the plugs out and spin it technique. I came into these cars after a life of mostly imports. This was the first engine I worked on that even had the option of spinning the pump w/ a drill. Every other engine over 40 yrs or so we spun w/o the plugs.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the engine has been run, it's already been primed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a flathead on an engine stand, never run. I have an old fire extinguisher bottle, plumbed for a schrader valve and line to connect to the oil pressure port. When I get around to it, I plan on adding oil, pressurizing the bottle and engine while turning the engine over. If you are really OCD and want to build or buy the same, you can plumb into the oil pressure hole on the block and do the same.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Setting the timing is not that big of a deal. You're going to check it during engine run in anyway, so it's not that much extra work. I'd pull the distributer and run the pump. But then, I admit to being kinda OCD about that.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I'd do the plugs out and spin it technique. I came into these cars after a life of mostly imports. This was the first engine I worked on that even had the option of spinning the pump w/ a drill. Every other engine over 40 yrs or so we spun w/o the plugs.
    It think CraigS has the best & easiest idea.
    A little oil pressure on the mains and every where else prior to start up can't hurt.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    My preference is to pull the distributor and spin the oil pump. On an engine that has set for several months I pull the valve covers and spin the pump until I get good flow to the rockers. Then I know it's safe to start. For engines that you can't get the distributor out or the oil pump is driven off something else, then using the method CraigS detailed above works but you are still turning bearing journals and lifters without a hydrostatic film holding the surfaces apart until the oil gets to them. Also, if you know you're going to store an engine for several months pull the plugs and coat the cylinders with fogging oil (Google it). Rusty cylinders and rings cause accelerated wear. It's a problem with airplanes, boats, motorcycles, and other engine powered toys that set over the winter months.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get one of these: https://www.summitracing.com/search/...mers/make/ford and prime the engine until you get oil pressure (or take a valve cover off and watch for oil flow.)

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    I vote for pulling the dizzy and spinning the oil pump. Counter clockwise please, until you get a reading on the oil pressure gauge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aarvig View Post
    Hey guys,
    I've got a 427w that has been sitting for about 6 months in the crate. It was run on the dyno and then the oil was drained and it was parked in a crate.
    I am curious, how critical is oil priming? I ask because I called the engine builder (a reputable builder) and he told me to fill the engine and oil filter with oil, remove the spark plugs, put some oil in the cylinders, rotate them by hand with the plugs out. Then crank the engine over until there is oil pressure, then reinstall the plugs and start it up.
    Does this sound OK? I would like to oil prime it through the distributor but I do not really want to mess with engine timing. What are your thoughts...
    Your engine builder guy is bang on the money. The engine has already been run so all the parts aren't "dry". You will get fresh oil to all critical areas by cranking the engine with the plugs out. No messing with removing the distributor and having to reset the timing.