Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Member from the Great White North

Post Thanks / Like

New Member from the Great White North

Hi Everyone,

I have been dreaming about and planning my roadster build for many years, I'm sure like many or all of you. My main reason for the build is to do it step by step with my Dad and my son. My Dad is a former ford mechanic who loves cars (as I do), but never took time for himself to build a rod or fix up an old classic. Too busy being a Dad and husband. Life is short and it doesn't make sense to not do this and have this time together. I am looking forward to advice from so many of you with experience building and problem solving, especially for Canadian builds. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Kent

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Kent!

Time stands still for no one. You are so right! You will make life-long memories I'm sure, just like I did.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave!!

Just reading through a number of threads with advice from other Ontario builders and getting more excited. The purchase is a few months off, due to moving in July, but will be planning the whole time. Lol.

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where are you in Ontario?
    When it's time to pick up your kit, consider the drive to the FFR shop in Massachusetts to pick it up. A tour of the facilities and the hospitality of the great folks there is worth the drive. A 16' utility trailer from CTC is more than adequate and with the seats out of the minivan, there's enough room for the boxes of parts. Border crossing is a breeze with the proper paper work. FFR will walk you through those details.

Above all else....enjoy the build. It's a pretty simple foolproof process if you follow the manual.
    Last edited by Dave Howard; 04-06-2017 at 03:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kent...Welcome,

Building a FFR with your dad or son will will be worth its weight in memories. I have 3 sons and 1 daughter, only one son is interested the the build project, and as a matter of fact I am awaiting so that we can finish the paint. The body work is most done.

You will have a great time on this forum,

Bob
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave (Howard),

I'm in Barrie, not too far from you. Is your snow gone yet? Lol. Went to school in Sudbury at Laurentian. We are planning a road trip to Wareham to check out the facilities and ask some questions about the car before we order. I will definitely be picking it up. Thanks for the advice. I'll be picking your brain in the future. Any pre-advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Kent

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bob,

Wow it seems so far away before we will be at that point. The three of us are chomping at the bit to get started. We've begun planning with the engine and sourcing the components. Thanks for the words. Any advice is more than welcome.

Cheers,

Kent

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

Where did you source engine components from? Did you buy in Ontario or go through summit or another company in the states?

Kent

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K L Rav View Post
    Dave,

Where did you source engine components from? Did you buy in Ontario or go through summit or another company in the states?

Kent
    My power train came from the States. I purchased through Roush. I met the Roush rep at the build school. They gave me the best deal on Ford Racing (Coyote) and Tremec components and paid the shipping to my door in Alberta at the time.

The roadster will be ripping through Barrie on the evening of June 22nd, on the way to the London Cobra Club show in London Ohio.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    My power train came from the States. I purchased through Roush. I met the Roush rep at the build school. They gave me the best deal on Ford Racing (Coyote) and Tremec components and paid the shipping to my door in Alberta at the time.

The roadster will be ripping through Barrie on the evening of June 22nd, on the way to the London Cobra Club show in London Ohio.
    Cool. If you have time, it would be fantastic to meet and chat cobra. We're 3 minutes from the 400. I'm planning on going to the build school in July. I've heard it's very beneficial.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K L Rav View Post
    Cool. If you have time, it would be fantastic to meet and chat cobra. We're 3 minutes from the 400. I'm planning on going to the build school in July. I've heard it's very beneficial.
    Pm a contact number and we'll see if we can do that. Should be time for a stop and stretch by Barrie. Coming from North Bay. I'm always eager to chat cobra.
    The Build School is well worth the experience. Makes you realize just how easy it is to put one of these together, and the instructors have many useful assembly and aftermarket part tips.
    Last edited by Dave Howard; 04-10-2017 at 04:54 AM.