Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Motor Mounts

Post Thanks / Like

Motor Mounts

Hi Guys,

I know this has been beaten to death, but I am undecided on what to do. I have a 302 with a t5 going in my mark IV. I do have a poly trans mount already, but I do not have my motor mounts. Are my only two options here to go with energy's poly mounts, or go with solid mounts? I have heard that the factory mounts (convertible) are still too soft and my sidepipes will be smacking the body.

From experience, solid mounts are typically a racecar thing only. However, it looks like a lot of guys run them without issue. They are also a heck of a lot cheaper than the energy mounts.

Is there anyone that has run into issues with solid mounts? And is there anyone that is running a mount that I have not listed?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Convertible mounts on my own car. Undoubtedly more movement than polys but my pipes don't "smack the body" (and it aint 'cause I'm gentle with it). By any chance did the person who told you that they would be too soft happen to have a set of poly mounts they were trying to sell

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Convertible mounts on my own car. Undoubtedly more movement than polys but my pipes don't "smack the body" (and it aint 'cause I'm gentle with it). By any chance did the person who told you that they would be too soft happen to have a set of poly mounts they were trying to sell

Jeff
    LOL thanks Jeff. Just got that form scrolling through 10 and 15 year old threads. Coming from racing, I will not be gentle on the car either. However, I am Mr. Budget Racer himself, which is why I am having a hard time swallowing the cost of energy mounts.

Are you using just ford replacement mounts? Or did you just pick something off rockauto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're a budget racer, use the solid mounts. They'll work fine, the extra vibration won't really be noticeable, and you'll save some money.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cowan View Post
    If you're a budget racer, use the solid mounts. They'll work fine, the extra vibration won't really be noticeable, and you'll save some money.
    Bob,

Thanks for the advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can only add.. that I'm in a similar boat as you. I have not yet driven my "gokart" .. only fired it briefly.. but.. I chose "solid" mounts for the same basic reasons as you list.
    No way my headers will hit the body; most people seem to say the solids are no big deal on these cars (NVH); and they are cheap.
    The ones I chose are 3/4" lower that stock. My oil pan sticks down below frame rails by.. Oh.. 1/2" or so. I'm not worried yet.. as if I have plenty of hood-to-filter clearance.. I'll just put in some plate-steel shims between the mounts and the frame.
    These are the ones I went with. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-1995-Fo...item1c7098e1a1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skidd View Post
    I can only add.. that I'm in a similar boat as you. I have not yet driven my "gokart" .. only fired it briefly.. but.. I chose "solid" mounts for the same basic reasons as you list.
    No way my headers will hit the body; most people seem to say the solids are no big deal on these cars (NVH); and they are cheap.
    The ones I chose are 3/4" lower that stock. My oil pan sticks down below frame rails by.. Oh.. 1/2" or so. I'm not worried yet.. as if I have plenty of hood-to-filter clearance.. I'll just put in some plate-steel shims between the mounts and the frame.
    These are the ones I went with. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-1995-Fo...item1c7098e1a1
    Skidd,

What oil pan are you using?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used both over the years.

Too soft? ........riiiiighttt...... That's why all the manufacturers use them.

Use them and don't look back.

Rock auto is as good as anyplace to get them....

oops I mean .............NAPA..... You gotta Get 'em at NAPA! !!!!!

We have two well known forum guys who own NAPA Stores and my brother manages one.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFinisher View Post
    I have used both over the years.

Too soft? ........riiiiighttt...... That's why all the manufacturers use them.

Use them and don't look back.

Rock auto is as good as anyplace to get them....

oops I mean .............NAPA..... You gotta Get 'em at NAPA! !!!!!

We have two well known forum guys who own NAPA Stores and my brother manages one.
    Ya know... that is a really good point. Thank you guys for the responses.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using a stock fox oil pan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never heard the too soft bit, about the convertible mounts before. Might have been just one builder that had an issue with the pipes?
    ES are expensive, but excellent quality. I like the idea of a bit of give at the mounts, otherwise all the engine torque is transferred to the frame. Will this potential for twisting, eventually cause fatigue? Only time will tell I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed which was why I was a little hesitant on solid mounts.