Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What are you watching?

Post Thanks / Like

What are you watching?

I recently got into watching car shows/vlogs on YouTube, and figured I'd share what I've liked and maybe find some other suggestions from what everyone here is watching.

Roadkill. If you haven't heard of roadkill, well you're missing out. It's basically two guys, they come up with an idea like "what if we put this motor in that, in a parking lot, and drive it to Alaska", and make an episode about it. Lots of hack fixes, and shortcuts, which often fail and make the show what it is. If you have OCD about doing everything the right way, this show will drive you nuts.

Jay Leno's Garage. I really enjoy Jay, he's got very down to earth personality for someone of his celebrity and wealth, and I love that he keeps complaining about how ridiculous some cars and exotic car parts cost. He has a great variety of cars on the show, everything from old steam cars to tuners, muscle, exotic, and down right weird.

Mighty Car Mods. It's very similar to Roadkill, but since they're Australian the cars are very different and so is the humour. I haven't watched a lot of these yet, but they're quite enjoyable.

Speed Academy. I really like the content with these guys, not such a personality based show, more about the cars. Seems to be mostly imports, with a mix of time attack and drifting. I really like build videos, and test and tune videos, and they do both well.

That's the only ones that have stuck, there's other good stuff out there, but there's also a lot of garbage to sift through. The hoonigan's have some ok stuff. There's a bmx kid Adam LZ that got into drifting, and about 20% of his videos are enjoyable, but since he does a daily vlog, you have to sift through a lot of non car related videos. There's also some decent short films like The Mad Life, which is basically a bio on New Zealand drifter Mad Mike. Lots of great rotary noises in that one, 2,3, and 4 rotor goodness.

So what are you watching? Keep it car related!

One last thing, because this NEVER happens, Canada is getting new episodes of Vegas Rat Rods weeks before the US! Sorry, had to gloat, we always get discovery shows later.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty much the same Youtube list as you - but a great one to add is "B is for Build". The guy is not a mechanic or engineer and has to figure out how to solve problems with his project cars. I binge watched him rebuild a Lotus Evora he purchased at auction that had been rolled, amazing stuff really, I love his channel.

Petrolicious is an awesome channel for all kinds of automotive stories from around the world.

The new DriveTribe channel is great to see new stuff, great production values.
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    oh - one more that I watch because of my own OCD. "AMMO NYC" - the show is run by a professional detailer that works on extremely rare and expensive machines. I've picked up all kinds of detailing tips from him.
    Jonas

FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Great thread idea! Roadkill is new to me, so I'll have to add that to the lunchtime playlist. Mighty Car Mods and Petrolicious have lots of good content.

I'll add Bad Obsession Motorsport for their "Project Binky" series -- two British guys with a race shop (and Monty Python humor), cramming the running gear from a Celica GT-Four into a 1980 Mini with lots of detail on the modifications required to pull it off. New episodes come out pretty slowly, but there's plenty to catch up on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eggman View Post
    Great thread idea! Roadkill is new to me, so I'll have to add that to the lunchtime playlist.
    Such a great show, I envy you getting to discover this.

Quote Originally Posted by eggman View Post
    I'll add Bad Obsession Motorsport for their "Project Binky" series -- two British guys with a race shop (and Monty Python humor), cramming the running gear from a Celica GT-Four into a 1980 Mini with lots of detail on the modifications required to pull it off. New episodes come out pretty slowly, but there's plenty to catch up on.
    How could I forget Project Binky? Those guys are artists.
    Jonas

FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doug Demuro. Best car reviews I've ever seen, and loves to force cars into doing what they're "designed" for (taking $80,000 SUVs off-road and such.) He does an exceptional job of finding all the weird quirks and features hidden in cars most people will only ever seen on posters.

Best quirks of 2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-IVBNRB048

Post Thanks / Like
    I find these channels to be remarkable.
    If you think your kit car is difficult watch SVSEEKER
    Doug Johnson is building a 70' STEEL sailboat in his backyard in Oklahoma. Fantastic as he does everything from welding, machining. woodworking to making his own parts in a foundry.
    The work of Jimmy Diresta , Designer , Builder , Maker. I personally can watch him all day.
    818S #343 Delivered 5-20-2015
    First Start 10-17-2015
    First Drive 10-17-2017 ( 100 feet back and forth until I can get off driveway)
    First Drive with a non leaking tuned motor 11-12-2015 (wow)
    Passed NJ State constructed inspection 8/30/2016

Post Thanks / Like
    Heads up, Roadkill is on Netflix, too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomacncheese View Post
    Heads up, Roadkill is on Netflix, too!
    That's what got me into the YouTube car videos, finding more roadkill after I'd watched all of what was on Netflix. I started watching the B is for Build lotus build yesterday, good stuff!
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    How about Eric the Car Guy? He kinda flops around sometimes working on stuff, but super chill. I've been watching his Fairmont Project.