Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Upper Ball joint Seating

Post Thanks / Like

Upper Ball joint Seating

Hi all,

I gave the forum a search and came up with a torque spec of 100 ft/lbs for the upper ball joint but I believe I don't have them seated properly. I snapped a photo this morning as I think they need to be sitting flush with the upper a-arm:
    IMG_3135.JPG

In the picture it shows about an 1/8 inch of gap between the two. If someone could confirm with me that I need to have these sitting flush I will go tighten them right away.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just looked at some pics from last November on my phone, mine are down tight. I think I ran them down with a big crescent wrench with locktite while the a arm was in a vice. However, I cannot see any threads in that little space in your pic, maybe the design is a bit different. If there are threads there, I would run it down all the way.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    They have to be down tight. It is a common issue. There is a lot of variance in the FFR upper control arms. Sometimes the balljoints go in too easy, other times they are too tough. If they are really tough, you may need to use a cheater pipe to get them in all the way. If even that doesn't work, I'd consider lubricating the threads with a small amount of grease.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are right Pete, there are no threads on the section protruding from the upper control arm but I am wondering if there is a collar that they slide into anyways. I may pull one out and take a look before I get out a snipe and try to push them all the way down. I'll report back with what the outcome is, thanks for the input guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    While you have it apart, take a wire brush to the threads to remove the paint or powder coat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a socket so I could an impact wrench.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...TznRoCB2rw_wcB
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Definiy wire brush the paint from the threads on the ball joint, then it will seat so easily you'll neen to use thread locker��

Post Thanks / Like
    The ball joint needs to be right flush with the mount.
    I left the thread locker on it.
    I did it in a vise with a big wrench.
    front ball joint.jpg
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015