Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Exhaust Cutouts Anyone ?

Post Thanks / Like

Exhaust Cutouts Anyone ?

I have the Breeze Quietpipes (modified sidepipes) and wonder if anyone has thought about adding a couple exhaust cutouts, mechanical or electric, to your sidepipes if they seem to be TOO quiet.

After struggling with a carburetor issue for almost a year I finally am on the road to happiness there.

Now on to other issues. Yesterday when I was finally able to drive the car in pre paint colors I was able to get on the gas a little the engine and exhaust sounded great, but maybe it was too quiet. In a video I took about a month ago, I have heard comments like "Its not very loud", or "I cannot hear it"

Listen Yourself
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ5CLarCutE

Being a proponent of NOT too quiet pipes on both of my motorcycles, D&D on one and Vance and Hines on the other, I am wondering if I am my own worst enemy.

Seems to me the place right behind where the 4 tubes merge into a 3 1/2 tube would be an excellent place for a cutout.

I have thought maybe a spare or separate set for race days, after all they can be swapped out, but wait what about a cutout set?

Hmmmmm !
    Last edited by mcwho; 04-07-2017 at 11:27 AM.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you might appreciate those quieter pipes once you start driving it. I am looking to tone mine down a bit, (289 roadster pipes), everyone will hear me get on it a mile away. The wife and neighbors all commented about how loud it is. Most of the folks in our local club wear the headband type ear plugs when driving.
    For track, yes, cutouts would be nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are racing, I would consider it. However, a lot of tracks have noise restrictions. I would check the restrictions at tracks I planned on running before drilling holes.

I went to the Amelia Island Vintage Gran Prix. There were four original Cobras there. 3 289s and a 427. All competition cars with straight pipes. They were full length pipes, but no glasspack. They were shockingly loud. You couldn't really stand next to them without it hurting. (It really sucked when two of them crashed - OUCH)

If you are doing more than a couple of track days a year, I think you will find that changing the pipes isn't a lot of fun. It doesn't take that long though once you get the tools and which direction the bolts go for each hole figured out. I autocross at least once a month and wouldn't want to add pipe change onto my prep list that often.

My car was horrendously loud (347, big cam, 500hp). I put Flowmasters on and cut the volume in half. Still loud, but I can cruise around town without ear plugs. I used to have to wear them 100% of the time. I agree with PeteH, drive around a little before making a change. The coolness of loud wears off after a month or two.

I see that you are not too far away from me. We will have to go for a cruise some time. We have four FFRs around Jax Beach that get together. Also check out the Deep South Cobra Club. They do 3 or 4 bigger events a year. One is coming up in three weeks with 30+ Cobras cruising around for 4 days based out of Pensacola.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    If you are racing, I would consider it. However, a lot of tracks have noise restrictions....
    Yep. I've been nailed for blowing 104 dB (noise limit is 90) on the road course at Indianapolis Raceway Park with standard FFR pipes---ironic because I.R.P. is home of the US Nationals where they run top fuel funny cars! Honestly, loud gets old; I've been threatening to quiet mine down for a few years but you know how it gets when there are more projects than time.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it sounds great, myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    What!?!
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    How does it sound w/ your foot in it?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actully, it sounds pretty good. As soon as I can figure how to mount my camera to NOT get so much wind noise, I'll post it.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.