Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Almost there!

Post Thanks / Like

Almost there!

Goodday ladies & gents

Admission: I am a Daytona Coupe nut! I have been an enthusiast since I was a boy in the sixties when my parents bought me an HO racing set that came with the tan colored Daytona Coupe (which I sill have!). That being said I have ordered the required straight jacket as suggested by the forum members and Hannibal Lector mask to protect the ones I love from serious injury!

I have been secretly scheming the build and gradually introducing the concept of the build by leaving pictures of the coupe in my wife’s magazines (Christmas Story) and talking more about the car openly! Yes these are the measures of a desperate man!

Okay! My intentions are honorable and I need the divine wisdom of the forum members to move forward with my bucket list endeavor.

I love to work with my hands to create something of my own design. I enjoy turning my own wrenches, knowing that I did it and can proudly go forth into the day with my head held high. (I wax poorly in my prose).

Seriously, I have been researching the build for sometime and I’m trying to get a reality-check of the scope of the project. So far, I’ve determined the focus of the build. I want a coupe that I can drive comfortably without a lot of horsepower. I think people who want to dump HP into a build are not familiar with the concept of drivability or power-to-weight ratio. I was talking with a guy that has a Hellcat and says that he can’t drive it on wet streets or on cold tires and that car has electronic traction control….where’s the fun in that? I would like enough power to go from 0-60 in less than 4 sec.

Here is my basic package of major components:

1. FFR Daytona Coupe –Gen III (Complete kit)
    2. Ford Coyote engine
    3. Wilwood brakes
    4. AC/Heater
    5. IRS
    6. Rear axle 3.55
    7. Tremec TKO-5 tranny
    8. Paint
    9. Power steering
    10. Power brakes
    11. Halibrand wheels (18x9” fr & 18x11’ Rr)

For each of the above I could use the forum member’s profound wisdom. The only absolute above is the kit itself! I’m trying to avoid catastrophic cost due to an oversight and minimize setbacks so, for example, someone with experience might recommend a Windsor 351 over the Coyote engine. The clutch and bell housing assembly is another expense. Dual-disc vs single-disc assembly and the additional parts needed. When FFR states that the customer needs to provide the drive train, that entails more than the engine, clutch assembly and the tranny… that’s just too vague for me to wrap my brain around and hope that I cover all my bases and avoid major expenses.

The other challenge I have is my small 2-car garage but good bench space. There won’t any vehicles parked in it during the build but it’s not a deep garage and the ceiling is 10 ft. Any suggestions here are welcomed. I at least have decent bench space.

Tools: I have tools and I have nearly everything listed in the FFR coupe build manual with the exception of the jack-stands. What tools, not listed, did you find handy for the build. Things like creepers, jacks, or other items that can make the job easier is always a blessing.

Perhaps my biggest challenge…my wife. She’s not so keen on the project so expenses have to be kept under control. I do not want to constantly go to her and tell her I need to spend more money for parts. She knows that I’ve been planning this project and knows that it is important to me…I don’t want to disappoint her. Maybe if I convince her to go and attend the build school with me, she’ll get a better perspective and scope of the build?

One thing that I pride myself on is that I love a challenge. Sixty two years of age is only a number….hell I’m hitting my prime!

Happy motoring and thank you in advance for everyone’s feedback.
    Stephen
    Last edited by figtuna; 05-03-2017 at 08:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. Here is how I would get your wife to "buy into" the project: if at all viable, pick up the kit at Factory Five and make it part of a romantic road trip and vacation to Cape Cod. Stay at a nice bed and breakfast (The Belfry in Sandwich, Mass. would fit the bill), dine there and at a few other nice restaurants, check out the tourist attractions and quaint little towns up and down the Cape, etc.

As for additional tools, it depends on how far you stray from the basic kit, and how much you want to fabricate yourself vs. buying ready-made parts. The Gen I and II coupes took a lot of finessing aluminum panels to get a good fit and finish; early builders report that the Gen III is much better in that regard. For my part, I was very surprised by how many additional tools I needed to acquire just to do a basic build (excluding a litany of custom mods). This is despite starting with a solid assortment of hand and power tools from years of fixing cars and motorcycles. Next time I am at my shop I'll try to figure out what else was really useful and update this comment.

As for the parts list, you could save a good deal of money by going with a solid rear axle and a simple Windsor 302 engine. But what you have listed above would be really nice, and probably help the resale value if it ever came to that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Jacob.... I like the idea about a trip to Cape Cod, she'd love that

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're serious; my wife and I found the best and most romantic B&B in the country in Chatham. Pricy but worth every pennny.. this place will *really* help your cause! We can't wait to get back there..

https://chathamgablesinn.com
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm serious and I'm not a "tire kicker". I have a hard enough time getting her out to Baber Motorsports for the events and I'm a volunteer tour guide for the museum! Thank you for the suggestions as I'm sure I'll come up with something. Age & deceit will overcome youth & experience they. say!

Regards
    Stephen
    Last edited by figtuna; 04-10-2017 at 06:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    A stay over on Nantucket is a pretty nice time, and involves a boat ride from Chatam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay ... I have some great suggestions for my wife & I, thank everyone for their answers.

Now I'll get back to the other concerns about my up and coming build and that was how to best prepare and avoid as many potentials snafus before they occur. So here are my immediate concerns:

1. Small 2-car garage: I'm inetrested to hear from a forum member(s) that has had a similar challenge
    2. Tools: Other than what is listed in the FFR build manual, what other tools did you find helpful in your build?
    3. My dream build: Looking at my original posting, what issues do you see in my build and what suggestions would you offer
    4. Paint: Paint is everything to completing a beautiful car and it can be one of the most expensive. Please lend me your thoughts

Again I bow to the supreme wisdom of the forum members.......I'm not worthy!

Thanks again guys
    Stephen

Post Thanks / Like
    Stephen-

I can't address all your concerns, but let me at least try to add a few thoughts for your consideration. I won't address how to get your wife onboard, as I think you have a number of good suggestions already. So, I will try to add some thoughts for you on the rest:

1. Small two garage won't be a problem! I too have a small 2 car, and have more than a few things in the garage eating up substantial floor space. I have stored the body outdoors, and have had plenty of room to do the work I need to do on my roadster. I don't believe you will have any trouble.

2. Tools. I would get yourself a nice low profile floor jack. You want it low enough to get easily under your coupe ~ 4". I got myself a new low profile jack that was also suitable for lifting all my other vehicles. You have plenty of choices here.

A good set of mechanics tools, air compressor, pneumatic rivet gun or hand riveter (I prefer the pneumatic), a hand held grinder, good quality battery operated hand drill, caulking gun, I like a pneumatic impact wrench and sockets, a set off four jack stands -- or build yourself a chassis dolly (lots of info on the forum for this), engine hoist (you can rent or borrow one if you don't wish to purchase), proper body prep tools if you plan on preparing the body yourself, including respirator and other safety gear. I am sure I forgot a few things, but this should help give you an idea of a few things.

3. I like your dream build! A coyote powerplant will be reliable and solid, and will give you the HP that you desire with no trouble. Don't forget to include the cost of the Coyote electronics package (the brain that makes it work), about another $1,500 or so over the engine cost. IRS rear while more expensive, will give you the most pleasant ride, and perhaps enhance resale as well. You can price out the cost of the drivetrain by contacting some of the vendors here on the site. Make it clear that you need everything for the powerplant, and they will ensure you have every part you need, so you can avoid surprises! I understand the desire to avoid surprises here, so do the planning ahead of time, and you will minimize those!

4. Paint is a difficult one. Many have done their own very successfully, and many more outsource this. The cost of either will be substantial, although outsourcing will obviously be more expensive. This will depend on your skillset, tools, and desires. I can't offer much here, as it is really a personal decision. I am doing my own paint with very close supervision by a talented body and paint man. Despite this, I know that it will likely cost me in the neighborhood of $2,000.00. Outsourcing your paint can cost $7,500 to well over $10,000 depending on a number of factors.

I am not sure I have helped very much, but I wanted to at least get you some things to think about. Best of luck as you firm up your plans, and get things started.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Steve:

The information you provided is exactly what I'm looking for and I thank you so much. I'll be researching the DIY chasis dolly, sounds like fun as I like turning my own wrenches. Sorry, I didn't respond earlier as I am just now catching up with the honey-dos. I was volunteering last Friday & Saturday at the Honda Indy races at Barber Motorsports here in B'ham, AL. As always....It was a blast (or two)!

Hey...thank you for alerting me for the need for the Coyote electronics package.

I have a couple more questions:

1. Clutch: Single vs Dual disc
    2. It is likely that I'll purchase the engine and mate it to a Tremec tranny. What else is needed (i.e. bell housing,etc.).

Again, I thank everyone for their time.

Can hardley wait to buy more tools!

Regards
    Stephen
    Last edited by figtuna; 05-08-2017 at 10:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great wolf lodge is only 20 min from the factory as well .