Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Battery questions... how to remove

Post Thanks / Like

Battery questions... how to remove

I have recently purchased a 65 coupe. I am wondering how I would change the battery? The car was built using the Assembly Manual. Looking at pages 75 and 76, it would appear that the battery and battery box were installed before the body was placed on the frame.

I am asking how the battery is removed from the car for replacement?

Will it come out without cutting a hole in the floor pan? This battery is right in front of the gas tank and behind the rear end. It doesn't look like it can be removed.

Thanks,

Roger Will

Post Thanks / Like
    The standard battery mount on the Gen 1 & 2 coupe is an aluminum plate that the battery sits on suspended by "J" 4 rods. You can remove the battery by taking off the 4 nuts under the plate. Might be a 2 person job.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    You might have a battery drop box, if the battery seems to be under the trunk floor. There should be an alum sheet metal top. It should have some screws or maybe even rivets holding the lid on. The lid may also be covered in matching carpet of the trunk. Hope this helps.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.