FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brake Reservoir to Hood/Body Clearance

Post Thanks / Like

Brake Reservoir to Hood/Body Clearance

Since I won't be needing it for quite a few more months still, my body is currently suspended by the ceiling in my garage.. not easy to get to. So.. I'm hoping someone can offer their opinion.
    Will my brake reservoirs clear the body and the hood once mounted? The pics show my ideal mounting location for the reservoirs. As you can see, it's a perfect straight shot from the banjo bolts on the bottom of the reservoirs, to the master with a short piece of 3/8 hose.
    The top of the highest reservoir is almost perfectly level with the 3/4" tube.

Post Thanks / Like
    My build plan was to have 3 nice shiny polished aluminum master cylendars mounted along the firewall. I swapped out the remote reservoir unit for one from speedway that has built in reservoirs. The hydraulic master was another issue, I ended up putting in in the box where the fuse box is with the top going thru the top panel.

I honestly think that you are cutting it really close, you don't have any room for error. I have experience with this cause I put in a power brake unit, similar to yours, with the same connections for remote reservoirs, and a hydraulic clutch. The master cylinder came with remote reservoirs, and I just didn't like where that would have ended up.

I will add pics tomorrow.
    Last edited by mcwho; 04-10-2017 at 01:44 AM.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll be fine if you're not any higher than the top of the 3/4-inch tube. The body actually sits above the tube, and the hood arches away from the sides.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    The hood itself won't be the problem however the FFR hinge's gas struts may be. With the hood closed the end of strut will be approximately 20" rearward of the radiator support cross tube and will be parallel with and ~2" in from the 3/4" square tube. Do you have that clearance?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a similar set up. Remember, it is the fluid level in the reservoirs that needs to be above the master cylinder entry point so the reservoirs can be a bit lower.

Post Thanks / Like
    Experts have already responded to your question so I won't. Will comment I like the blue reservoirs!
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I knew the body sat just above the 3/4 tube, so I was optimistic that I'd have just enough clearance, just wasn't positive. At least with the use of those "U" bolts to hold the reservoirs.. I can actually raise and lower each of them a little if need be. I know the reservoirs don't need to be perfectly above the master.. but I prefer it that way. to avoid any air-bubbles trapped in the high-part of the soft line. Again though.. I can easily bleed the system with the reservoirs pulled high.. then when done.. slide them down and tighten the u-bolts.

It seems the FFR hood hinge will be an issue though. Those reservoirs sit about 17" away from the radiator cross bar. Though, not really a big deal since ditching the gas-struts for a passenger side prop rod is not a problem. plus.. the fact that I don't actually have hinges yet.. and might still go with Breeze or even Shell Valley hinges. Either way, it sounds like a gas-strut is out of the question.

@KDubU I actually don't love the blue.. but I don't hate it either. I ordered "black" reservoirs... got blue ones sent to me.. was in the process of returning them for proper ones... but figured I'd suggest a 60% discount to the seller if I kept the blue ones. The deal was done. Besides.. the blue matches (almost) my plug wires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like the blue but I would move them rather than ditching the gas strut.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skidd View Post
    ...might still go with Breeze or even Shell Valley hinges...
    In that case you'll face a different set of challenges. Me? I'd move the reserviors rearward a few inches and use the FFR hinge & struts.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll look into moving the reservoirs back a bit .. if I can. Where they sit now.. they are 1/4" away from the clutch cable. Though.. I'm pretty sure it would be a non-issue to just push the cable out a 1/2" to clear the banjo-fitting. It already has a rubber shield on it to protect it from chafing. I think I'd rather place the reservoirs in the "ideal" place.. and work around hinge issues. .. but .. I actually would prefer to use the FFR hinge anyway. I really don't think it would bother me to ditch the struts if I really had to. Does having (vs not having) the gas-strut on the FFR hinge really make that much of a difference?