Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Retailers and Phone Priority

Post Thanks / Like

Retailers and Phone Priority

I wanted to get some NGK plugs for my roadster as it had Champions. I did the research found the appropriate cross reference and wrote the two numbers down on a piece of paper. Where I live in a small FLorida town. I have a choice of NAPA, Action Auto, O'Reilly, and several other brick and mortar stores as well as all the online resources.

All I wanted to do is to see if this store had a cross reference chart that I could look at, and double check. I already checked the stores web site. they showed that the plugs were in stock. OK, all I was gonna do was just verify the numbers and pick up a set.

I walked in, there were at least 5 agents were behind the counters, they each had a cash station in front of him. It was kinda like a KFC moment I had earlier, 1 agent standing behind a register, I walk up to that register and she immediately goes to a different register. ? WTF

So, back to the story at "Advance Auto Parts in Orange City Florida".

3 out of 5 agents are busy on the phone, or busy looking at computer screens. I walk up to a station and state I want to check his cross reference for some spark plugs, he brings up a screen and asks me if I have a number, I give him the Champion number and he is having an issue with the screen and says something like its the wrong screen or something like that. So he then leaves his station and goes down the rows of parts and finds the Champion plugs, the ones that I Don't want to buy, but just want to cross reference to get the correct NGK plugs.

I hear the stores phone ring, the guy goes back behind the counter and picks up the phone, Now there are 4 agents on phones, and one guys reading a computer screen, I look over to the only last guy who is not busy, he says back to me "I'm in training", I suppose that is code for "I cant help you"

I was killing tme looking at other items like oil filters as I had done some research on them as well, trying to kill time until the guy I was dealing with got off the phone. SO now, the customer that took the time to drive to the store is in a queue behind all the people getting tech support from the guys on the phone. I wish I got this much attention when I called for tech help from my cable company or cell phone company.

Well, I could hear half of the conversation and it sounded like the person on the other end wanted free diagnostic help and the employee kept asking more questions on what he had done to analyze the problem. I stalled a few more minutes and decided to leave, that was after 5 to 10 minutes of waiting, as I was obviously at the end of the phone line queue. I did think of calling from my cell phone, probably should have.

When I got home I called the store and asked the name of the store manager, the guy said oh, that's Sam, I asked if he was there and could I talk to him and I was advised that he would be in on Monday.

I don't wine or complain as a rule, but our society of retailers who have a "Phone clients first priority" makes me wonder why they even have a storefront.

I went home and double cheked the numbers again and ordered the plugs online, on a sunday and they will be here on Tuesday with free shipping.

Should I even waste my time calling the store manager to reiterate my frustration?
    Last edited by mcwho; 04-10-2017 at 01:32 AM.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Possibly two reasons, one the manager has told them immediately answer all calls. Not sure why they would so this though as the customer in front of you is almost a guaranteed sale whereas the one on the phoen is only a potential. The second is that they all do not want to help the physical customer as they see a phone conversation as easier??? It all is very weird and I agree, I do not like when someone answers their phone while servicing me, it portrays that I am not very important to them. I also don't like people who answer their cellphones when they are being serviced .

Retail is in a weird space now. The growth of omni channel has placed a lot of retailers behind the eight ball and they are frantic to catch up. Amazon is killing in this marketplace and now retailers corporate office has implemented new solutions to help compete but they have not addressed the impact on the store personnel. Specifically now you have buy online and pickup at any location. Well now someone who usually just received merchandise for the store as a whole now needs to separate out customer orders, cross ref with the new systems in place, document the orders, place them in a designated place in the store, let everyone know Mr. Smith's order has arrived and track the order through pickup and or cancellation and put it back in stock all the while keep doing what they used to do which is service the customer in the store. Also the web only provides so much detail and I have found the car part retailers lacking from a content perspective. I have a Napa and O'Reillys close to me and even after looking something up on the web, checking if there is availability at my store, I still call the store, know why? Their stock on hand is never correct! It's actually quite dismal in fact. Just two weeks ago l was looking for some weatherpack connectors, Napa local stated they had them online so drove up and found out nope they did not. Had them check the store one town up yup they have them based on the system so drove up and nope they did not have them. Checked another town up and had this second store call the third and yup they have them. So drove there got my connectors and drove home only to realize I forgot another piece! So got on the phone and asked my local Napa to order it and I will pick it up in store. All happy now but what a frustrating mess and will from now on, order online and pick up in store.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Daughter is a store manager for Advance and her employees will answer the phones but advise the person that they are helping another customer and will be with them as soon as possible.
    Kenny

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've gotten to the point where I only go to the auto parts store when I absolutely need something and try to go as early as early as possible, usually on a week day, when the actual store manager is there.

To make matters worse if you try to go on the weekend to get something you really need most of these establishments:

1. Have inexperienced staff members that know little or nothing about cars.
    2. Are inundated with customer's with limited skills and think the person behind the counter actually knows something.
    3. Hire staff members that should be asking you if you want fries with your order or if you want to Super-Size that drink.

Summit Racing, Jegs, Speedway & Rock Auto Are Now My Favorite Places To Find What I Need These Days!

Steve

NOTE: For fun I sometimes let them search for a Factory Five MK-4 when they get belligerent about getting the make and model of my car. Then I tell them that I swapped out the engine and put a Chevy in it instead of a Ford. After that I watch their collective heads explode.

Try It Sometime!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-10-2017 at 09:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I can walk in and get it off the shelf (i.e. supplies like lubricants, fluids, cleaners, etc.) I'll hit up the discount chains but for "real" parts it's NAPA. Great local store here; they know what I do with these cars and understand that many times we aren't really sure exactly what we need until we see it so if I have to find an undetermined hose or whatever they let me go rummage around the back to see what I can come up with that might work.

Jeff

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    mcwho, as frustrating as that visit was I encourage you to contact Sam the store manager as he or she (yes some women go by Sam) needs to know how the staff is performing if they are to make improvements. GoDadGo, I live outside a small town in Arizona and have had similar experiences and vendor inclinations. The only parts store in town that has counter men that actually know something is Napa and these guys are gray haired and close to retirement age. And that small store has limited parts on hand so half the time I have to order it anyway. It's a 10-mile drive into town so most of my ordering is online and if Summit has it in their Nevada warehouse I'll get it the next day for no additional charge and save the 20-mile round trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the answer lies in volume of sales. Every parts store depends on their commercial accounts to make a profit whereas the walk-in business
    might be 10% of sales by revenue, if that. The commercial customers rarely walk in the door and until recently always called on the phone to
    place their orders. I think that is why you see the priority placed on phone calls instead of customers already in the store.

I know some of it now is done online for the commercial customers and our Napa has a different number and different crew to take the commercial
    accounts so the walk-ins always get "the new kid" Like Jeff, I sometimes just tell them it's for a one off build and they let me wander the backroom
    looking for the right fit.

On the calling them from your cell while in the store I have seen that done to a waitress in our local diner when my friends coffee cup gets empty,
    it does get a laugh and a fresh cup of coffee when they see who it is calling.
    DB
    Last edited by myjones; 04-10-2017 at 02:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I am going to call just to see what kind of response I get. Regarding Auto retailers, I find MUCH better results with online services. This particular store that I go to has usually had pretty knowledgeable guys who know the auto parts business. My experience is that NAPA, or at least one here seems to have a more professional staff and some of their parts like brake pads are a better quality.

A few weeks ago I did a test and bought a Holley 4150 style Carb to intake gasket. I bought one from Action Auto parts and I bought the same part from NAPA. The Napa part was the same price but a better quality.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to my local NAPA store today looking for an AN-06 fitting. No one knew what that was or what it was used for. After explaining that it was a generic fuel line connector (not model specific), two guys tried to look it up on their computer and came up empty. I've read lots of good comments about NAPA on this and the other forum, so I was surprised by this result. Has anyone else had a similar experience? (BTW: I walked into a local speed shop that caters more to the nitrous charged rice bucket crowd and found 3 brands of AN fittings at 3 quality levels / prices, all on card racks.)
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Around here Oreilly is by far the best when it's time to find parts in the books. Both local NAPAs suck as bad as the rest of the parts stores.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting how the same retail stores differ. My local Napa guys are fairly knowledgeable, one guyn particular. The guys at O'Reilly's suck big time as most are too young to have cranked a wrench. There is one guy that is helpful but the others it's like speaking a foreign language to them about car parts.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hy guys did you know everything about your job when you first started ? I doubt it. They are at least trying and working instead of sponging off Mom and Dad or the "system" Give them a chance and teach them. I explain to them how to look up what I need , but usually I ask for the part by # after having checked online myself before going to the store. Yes I can order online from one of the Major Speed shops but I am a "I want to see the part" type guy. I have learned over my 71 years, ( 55 of them working on cars), help people, and the next time you go there they will remember you and really help you. Remember KARMA.
    Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    I've found NAPA to be a great source. Haven't walked away empty handed yet. Especially for those one off "got to have it today" type parts. If you can get them on queue, most likely they will have it the next day if not later that same day. There's an Advance Auto right in town and I have snagged a couple of "got to have it today" parts. While installing my clutch, I *****ed up the throw out bearing and told my buddy, we are dead in the water until I can snag a new TOB. We took a chance at the local AA. When the guy pulled one off the shelf (last one), I damn near kissed the man. To their credit, I love their loaner tool program. In the end, I think it all comes down to who is representing the parts store IMHO. In my local Pep-Boys there is one employee that knows how to cross-reference a part, and go the needed distance to see if they can get it in a timely manner or derive "this should work". But most are only good for looking up a part number and fetching it from a shelf. Try telling a 19 Y.O. young buck making minimum wage, your looking for an upper radiator hose that will fit your application. His response is inevitably "year, make and model of car?". Right there, you know your coming away from the parts store empty handed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went back to the store yesterday, asked the man where I could find Sam, he said "I am Sam", I said I have an issue I want to talk to you about as I handed him a copy of the writeup at the beginning of this thread". He started reading the letter and I reiterated that it was probably something that was stressed in the management training, to answer all calls first. I said that the customer who took the time to drive to the store ought to come first. He agreed with me and said he would talk to each of the employees, I said ok, thats fair, and as I turned to leave he extended his hand and said "I'm sorry", "I will get this fixed".

As he was reading my letter, the same employee came up behind him and started reading and listening as well, but he never said a word. So, perhaps I will try them again and see if their demeanor is fixed, I am curious.

These are NOT the young kids that some parts stores hire, I would estimate that they were mid 50's or so.
    Last edited by mcwho; 04-11-2017 at 11:05 AM.
    Baghdad Bob

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    mcwho, sounds like Sam is interested in making an improvement and you were the motivation for that improvement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, we can hope for an improvement !
    Baghdad Bob

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I had to order a set of upper coolant pipe seals for an LT-1 second generation Small Block Chevy for my long in the tooth 1995 C-4 Corvette.
    Nappa, could not locate them nor could Autozone, Advanced Auto or O'Reilly.
    After wasting an afternoon the parts were found at Rock Auto.
    It was a frustrating endeavor, but worth the effort.

ACDELCO #10108689 GM Original Equipment Upper

Post Thanks / Like
    Since the original carb was running very rich I decoded to replace or clean the plugs, I could not find a device to clean the plugs so I decided to get a new set. I wanted to use NGK plugs anyhow.

I thought the story ended here, but now there is another Wrinkle form the plugs ordered on amazon. I wanted to get the new plugs in yesterday, I ordered a set from amazon, they had 4 packs and since I am not using, stock ford heads, I have Edelbrock Performer RPM heads. The plug that is in there and is recommended by Edelbrock is RC12YC. When I did a cross ref check it came up with NGK BKR5SE-11.

Ordered them on Amazon last sunday, and the feedback said I would have them on Tuesday, 2 days later. ON Tuesday I get a notification that they have been delivered to my mailbox, when I get the pkg its only one (1) 4 pack. It is in a 8 1/2 by 12" padded envelope. I go back online and it turns that they shipped one set of four by USPS, and shipped the second set of four plugs by UPS.

The first UPS note said they would be delivered by 8 pm.

At 7:55 pm I got a message from UPS that the package was damaged and would NOT be delivered. I wrote to the vendor and they said to contact Amazon which I did and have not heard anything as yet.
    Last edited by mcwho; 04-12-2017 at 10:02 AM.
    Baghdad Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    GoDadGo, sounds like I am not the only one having issues of finding parts locally, now I am gonna look for a small spark plug cleaner so that I can keep the Champions for spares.
    Baghdad Bob