Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Getting started

Post Thanks / Like

Getting started

Placed my MK4 order last week so I've got 8 weeks before delivery. Have zero experience but a close friend who knows his stuff. Hopefully he'll still b my friend when this is complete. Have started reading the manual and find it a bit intimidating and confusing. Seems like it would benefit from more CAD drawings. Any other resources? Have signed up for the build class in July & have watched the FFR videos. Any other ideas or is this just a div in type project?

Post Thanks / Like
    Build school is a good start, also reach out and see if any one is in your area that has built a roadster and see if they are willing to help out. These forums are also great as you can see what others have done and if you like it you can replicate it. So far I have found in my build that these cars are fairly easy to build, but I also have a lot of experience in this department so I guess it relative. As with any thing try to think ahead a few steps to make sure everything fits and is in it's proper place before doing any permanent, and things will go just fine. Markers, tape, zip ties, and most importantly Cleco pins (50-100 of them and Cleco pliers) are your friend here. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't worry, the manual will make more sense when you have the pieces in front of you. I felt the same way. I didn't go to the build school but I've heard it is great. You will be fine. Plenty of great resources here in the forum as well. Be patient and ask for help. Welcome aboard.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    I started this project with zero experience and plenty of intimidation. Seriously my previous automotive experience consisted of oil changes 25 years ago as a teenager!
    I found the build manual to be severely lacking for someone of my experience level. The forum is an amazing resource. I have not had one issue that I have not found help with by coming here. Use the forum, don't be afraid to ask questions that you deem stupid. We have all had those and been there. Dont be afraid to message particular builders that you think could help you based on what they have in their threads. To a man every person I have contacted has been super helpful and glad to do it. I really have no idea how people built these things before the forum. I certainly could not have done it. Don't get overwhelmed looking at the entirety of the project. Just take it one step at a time. You can do it.

Tell us a little about your build plan. What options did you order and what are your drivetrain plans?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    You will be fine. While I have always loved cars, I have limited mechanical knowledge but have done others things in life that have been as challenging and that never stopped me. A huge and I mean huge help is this forum and the other one and the awesome people on both. From professional painters to builders to the weekend gear head, the knowledge is vast and they are always willing to help. I suggest reviewing some build threads in detail as there are many that give great guidance. Take a look a EdwardB's build thread and how much detail he goes in as an example. Jeff Kleiner (JKleiner) is another great resource as well as Mike Everson, the list goes on and on.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    read build threads... all of them... ha... and wait for the pieces to come, like they said above it will make more sense when you have them in front of you. I have heard good things about the build school, but I have not attended. Just ask questions on here, we might ask a lot of questions back to really figure out what you are needing...

Tell us about your build... Engine? rear end? what options you got? Did you do a complete kit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. I always feel better when I know I'm not alone. Thanks to all for talking me down of that $40K ledge. So far I've ordered
    Complete kit
    Powder Coated Chassis
    Full Length Coyote Headers
    31 Spline 2015 IRS Driveshaft
    Leather seats
    Coyote Pwr steering
    Ultra Guages
    18" Halibrand Wheels
    Steel F/R Bumpers
    Chrome D/P Rollbars
    2105 IRS Center Section
    Willwood brakes front & rear

When money comes available will buy the engine & trans. Planning for Coyote w 6 speed manual.

Thats about it. Thanks again for the guidance.
    Eugene

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! The build school will be a great help, I'm sure things will make much more sense after that. These forums are fantastic resources. I usually check in every day, and when I have a question, I often find a previous thread that has covered the topic. The creativity amongst this group is simply amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree about the build school, I was at the build school when I got notified about delivery the next week. When I went to the build school Factory Five was offering a partial refund of the school cost. Another thing it does for you is the confidence that you can do it. take lots of pictures as well.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too was/am a novice at this type of stuff, but decided to take the plunge and I love it.

Prior to ordering I did the following:
    Read the entire manual (twice)
    Visited a forum member who was in the process of building (this really helped me see what goes into this)
    Read the complete build thread of a couple of cars that were similar to what I was planning (in my case and yours, I would recommend Wareaglescott and EdwardB's threads)

I would have liked to go to build school, but I got too anxious and when ahead and ordered before I could find the vacation time to head up to Michigan.

As others have said, this fourm has been my best resource to figure out what I wanted, how to avoid some issues and how to find a solution once I have a problem. Everyone here is kind and very helpful - and at one point or another, all been exactly where you are right now. You will encounter some frustration and you will have to undo things you have already done and you will spend more money than you initially planned, but if you like creating things, there isnt much better than this.
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread