BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 160 or 180 speedo

Post Thanks / Like

160 or 180 speedo

Hi Guys,

It has come time in by build where I need to think seriously about gauges. For ease of installment, wiring, and troubleshooting, it looks like my two options are to order from Factory Five or order from Speedhut. I know that Factory Five gauges are made by Speedhut.

I know on the early cars, they were equipped with a 160 mph speedo, but I am not sure when they switched over to the 180. Does anyone know the answer? Also, who decided to go with a 160 over the 180?

Thanks!

Scottie

Post Thanks / Like
    Get the Bill Cosby specials. They go to .....200 MPH......and then you drive around your own tree three times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    Get the Bill Cosby specials. They go to .....200 MPH......and then you drive around your own tree three times.
    And the car was still in park. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Cant help you on the 160 vs 180 but a word on the speed hut gauges. They do some custom gauge faces that you can do some cool things with color wise if you are looking for something a little different. Also different fonts to choose from. I didn't price compare but it may be cheaper going straight through them if you didn't get any with the kit. They told me they have a special font they use for factory five. It is not shown on their website but you can call and ask them for that when you make an order if you want the exact same gauges FFR is selling.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Cant help you on the 160 vs 180 but a word on the speed hut gauges. They do some custom gauge faces that you can do some cool things with color wise if you are looking for something a little different. Also different fonts to choose from. I didn't price compare but it may be cheaper going straight through them if you didn't get any with the kit. They told me they have a special font they use for factory five. It is not shown on their website but you can call and ask them for that when you make an order if you want the exact same gauges FFR is selling.
    Thanks for the info! In the recent months, it looks like speedhut raised their prices a good bit. They have their own cobra themed set, but I really do like the look of the FF gauges.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    Thanks for the info! In the recent months, it looks like speedhut raised their prices a good bit. They have their own cobra themed set, but I really do like the look of the FF gauges.
    I looked at that Cobra set and asked them about it and that is how I found out about the FFR font they have available.
    The only reason I mention the price is because I was looking at some kirkey low backs and covers. It was like $100 cheaper to get them from Summit than ordering the same thing from FFR so I assume they have some markup (which would make sense) on what they are selling us. Figured that would apply to gauge sets as well but then again maybe they get a better price buying in volume. Worth a shot anyways.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    I looked at that Cobra set and asked them about it and that is how I found out about the FFR font they have available.
    The only reason I mention the price is because I was looking at some kirkey low backs and covers. It was like $100 cheaper to get them from Summit than ordering the same thing from FFR so I assume they have some markup (which would make sense) on what they are selling us. Figured that would apply to gauge sets as well but then again maybe they get a better price buying in volume. Worth a shot anyways.
    Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Speaking of speedhut gauges, I recently upgraded mine. They were year 1 speedhut vintage sold as Kirkham gauges. I had previously used the little LED window in a reverse-reading speedo to display fuel level (HARD to read!) with an external GPS system I hobbled together in 2007-ish. I did that so I could get the 5 gauges I wanted: Oil and Water temp, Oil and Fuel Pressure, and Voltage

Speedhut now makes integrated GPS in their speedos but for some reason couldn't include the fuel level in the window like before. But they do have a new 180 clockwise GPS speed with built in turn signals, high beam indicator and a very readable fuel sweep. That's a ton of functionality but you ALSO get top speed, fastest 1/4 mile, fastest 0-60, altitude and trip stats too!:

It's a little different than a "normal" reverse-reading speedo but honestly, I never think about it now that it's installed.

HTH,

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

Those look pretty sharp. I just pieced together a shopping cart with them. Just waiting on pulling the trigger. I am going with the counter clockwise 180mph gps speedo.