Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: No Turn Signals & no Horn

Post Thanks / Like

No Turn Signals & no Horn

I have been working on my wiring the past couple of days, I've got head lights, parking lights, tail lights, & brake lights but no turn signals or Horn. It seems like it is something in the I-Didit steering column since the signals & horn are both in the column. Is there supposed to be a ground connected somewhere in the column.
    I am using a E-Z harness which is similar to the RF harness except it has 20 circuits instead of 10, the extras are for accessories which I have not messed with yet, so the original 10 are basically the same as the RF harness. The horn seems weird, if I ground the brass plate under the steering wheel, the horn blows so the push button in the center of the wheel is not making contact correctly & it looks like there is something missing, there is a little plastic cylinder sticking up which mates with a hole in the steering wheel hub, there is nothing in this cylinder, should there be?
    The one side of the hazard flasher(brown wires) & turn signal flasher(purple wires) has 12 volts, so I am assuming the other side needs a ground to make it function, that's why I am thinking there is a ground missing from the steering column.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance,
    Nevin
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015
    5.0 Coyote engine, 9in. Ford rear, 4 Link, Wilwood 12in. front brakes
    AC, power steering, FFR 17/18in. Hot Rod wheels

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nevin,

You are about 1 week ahead of me. I was looking at those wires last night and I don't have the same set up as you. (#640 with RF harness) I suggest grounding the column first, but look at what I would call the cobra side of the wiring for turn signal indicators also. The little plastic cylinder is a single post push lock vice a 2 post push lock so it can get crooked in the cylinder. I don't believe you need a second ground under the push button, but there is a provision for it in the billet coupler. The black piece is a push then 1/4 turn to lock the spring and contact down. The spring is about the size of one in a government issue black pen. It has to government issue so it is subsidized and American made. (just kidding).

Looking forward to how you conquer this before I get my battery in this weekend

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply Brian,
    I don't have a 'black piece' also don't have a spring, can you elaborate or give me a picture or ?

Nevin
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Nevin, I was off grid last night or I would have gotten a picture. The Ididit package with the turn signal and tilt levers has a piece of wire with the contact, spring, and black tube on it. It can't fall off because the spade connecter holds them on. There may be a picture in the manual, but I never did find good instructions in either the Ididit package, RF box, or FFR manual. If you have the FFR horn button with Ididit parts you should have all that's needed. The little black tube needs to put pressure on the spring to hold the contact against the ring so as you run the cones the horn will intermittently honk as you cross your hands and smash your knee on the column...

The black tube slides into the white plastic tube through the adapter. It is like the old light bulb sockets that are a push turn lock arrangement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian,
    Apparently that's my problem, I don't have a black tube & wire, I will call FFR tomorrow.
    thanks for the info.

Nevin
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky

Post Thanks / Like
    I was finally able to get the turn signals working, the problem was the wires on the turn signal relay & the hazzard relay connectors were reversed! and I was able to get one of the black plastic barrel connectors this weekend at a car show, so now the horn works also!
    thanks for the help,
    Nevin
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have some more to do with mine also. The fan wiring had me for a little while until I found the green wire had slipped into the tubing and the manual instructions are not quite reality.