Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Spouse Behind the Wheel

Post Thanks / Like

Spouse Behind the Wheel

How many of you have spouses who drive the FFR? If so how much? Solo?
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope. She is terrified of the car. She is welcome to drive it but she would be afraid she would do something to it or wreck it.

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife has a snotty '67 Camaro with a 396 and an old school Muncie four speed. Whenever I offer the FFR to her, she reminds me that she is quite happy with her car. Hers is a handful, but I think deep down the FFR scares her.
    Last edited by Gumball; 04-12-2017 at 01:05 PM.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife can't even drive a manual transmission! I'm fine with that.
    She will enjoy riding.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    When I built my Roadster in 2003 my wife would drive it a little. She took one of her friends to lunch in it and her friend said "all of the guys are checking us out" My wife told her their looking at the car not us. I don't have the car or the wife anymore but that story never gets old.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife won't drive ours. The word "never" is always in the response when I offer. We've had a couple manual shift DD's in our time, so that part isn't foreign. But I do think she's a little afraid of it. Plus maybe afraid of my reaction if something should go wrong. But I don't know why she would think that. The only ones who've ever driven mine have been our two sons. Both grown and experienced drivers.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-12-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    She has been saying she will for almost 10 years but it still hasn't happened.

I can think of 8 others who have all driven mine on track or autocrossing. I tried to make that number 9 a couple years ago---Dave Smith and I were battling it out for fast time at the LCS autocross (he was in the factory Coyote Mk4) and every time he'd improve on his time I would go out and beat him. I finally told him "Let's trade and we'll find out if it's the car or the driver" . Couldn't get him to bite...

Jeff

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    My wife has driven all my FFR cars. She loved the 33 the best. She prefers me to drive but can drive anything if she needs to.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CVOBill;275609 I don't have the car or the wife anymore but that story never gets old. Bill[/QUOTE]

So she got the car..? That's because you let her drive it..lol
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    No the car was gone before her. lol

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mine won't be on the road for another month. My wife has renamed the passenger seat as "your seat". I think I'll be fighting her to drive it.

I thought she was a keeper, but after she pulled that one on me....

Martin
    Previous forum name was "Fezzek"

Post Thanks / Like
    Once mine is finished and she is comfortable driving it, she is welcome to it whenever she wants.

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife has driven mine a couple of times. Even go karted it first. But, I think she'd rather ride. Certainly not afraid. Last week she rode in a Challenge car on the race track(as did I) running pretty much as hard as it would go. Couldn't wipe the grin off of either one of our faces.

Post Thanks / Like
    My first Cobra kit was an LAExotics with a 390 and automatic that I built in '94. My wife drove that car several times and took a couple friends for lunch rides as well. Since I've had the FFR on the road she hasn't driven it yet. Her major concern is the forward pointing shifter and that she would not find the right gears. I've tried to convince her that once she does shift there won't be any confusion. She has agreed to a test drive in the near future. All of her cars have been manual shift so she isn't concerned with that aspect of it.

Regards, Rick.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put this Thread out here as my wife wants to drive it. Her DD is a Honda CRV and Honda Accords before it. I am getting ours inspected Friday and should be able to tag it the same day. My concern is that I don't think she respects the ability of the car. I had her read the Thread entries for new owners and those thinking of becoming an owner of one. I did not get a warm fuzzy when I asked her what she thought, not one word about this Car can and will kill you if you don't respect it. With power steering the car is very responsive to just the smallest input on the steering wheel. I am going to delay her long enough till I feel competent regarding the capabilities of the car, then I am going to give her a small sample of what the car is capable of doing in straight line acceleration. Feel free to offer any suggestions.
    Thanks
    Doug
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife is fine w/ me driving the FFR. She drives her 6 speed 2015 Mustang GT w/ Performance Package. She says she sees no advantage to the cobra compared to her car. Although it was actually in the works before she got the Mustang, I told her my upgrade to a 408 was just so my car would be faster than hers. The 400hp 351 was too close according to my butt dyno.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife is terrified of the car. It's not finished but has been go carted. She thinks it's insane!

Post Thanks / Like
    All these "spouse" stories make me want to go out and get one.... Nevermind, it was just a passing thought.
    Mark IV 7923 arrived 11-14-12
    DOHC 4.6L, Tremec 3650, 3 Link 8.8 w/3.73

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Doug View Post
    I put this Thread out here as my wife wants to drive it. Her DD is a Honda CRV and Honda Accords before it. I am getting ours inspected Friday and should be able to tag it the same day. My concern is that I don't think she respects the ability of the car. I had her read the Thread entries for new owners and those thinking of becoming an owner of one. I did not get a warm fuzzy when I asked her what she thought, not one word about this Car can and will kill you if you don't respect it. With power steering the car is very responsive to just the smallest input on the steering wheel. I am going to delay her long enough till I feel competent regarding the capabilities of the car, then I am going to give her a small sample of what the car is capable of doing in straight line acceleration. Feel free to offer any suggestions.
    Thanks

Doug
    Are you concerned that you wife will get in the FFR and do a full throttle burnout from the garage? From what I've seen over the years most female drivers are a lot more cautious when getting into a new vehicle and not as likely to press for the upper end of the performance envelope even after several occasions of driving it. Taking her out to show her the scary aspects of the car before she has a chance to try it out on her own will likely lead to strong criticism or your intentions.

JMHO but I'd give her the basics of how to operate the car (where the starter button is locate) and let her have at it. Ride along if she wants that, but keep your running commentary of her performance to a minimum.

Regards, Rick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just not late to work with to much coffee! Did drive truck and the fair sex was wilder than males.
    Wife hase med problems but daughter wants to drive 33 when done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 3yearplan View Post
    All these "spouse" stories make me want to go out and get one.... Nevermind, it was just a passing thought.
    Spouse or car?
    Doug
    FFR 7995

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CRZN 427 View Post
    Are you concerned that you wife will get in the FFR and do a full throttle burnout from the garage? From what I've seen over the years most female drivers are a lot more cautious when getting into a new vehicle and not as likely to press for the upper end of the performance envelope even after several occasions of driving it. Taking her out to show her the scary aspects of the car before she has a chance to try it out on her own will likely lead to strong criticism or your intentions.
    JMHO but I'd give her the basics of how to operate the car (where the starter button is locate) and let her have at it. Ride along if she wants that, but keep your running commentary of her performance to a minimum.

Regards, Rick.
    Good advice.
    My intentions are to let her first drive it in a LARGE vacant parking lot. We will go from there.
    Thanks
    Doug
    Doug
    FFR 7995

Post Thanks / Like
    Spouse. Building the car.
    Mark IV 7923 arrived 11-14-12
    DOHC 4.6L, Tremec 3650, 3 Link 8.8 w/3.73

Post Thanks / Like
    I have read all the stories on these cars. Some of them will make you afraid to even drive the car. While respectful of what they will do, it is directly connected to your right foot. You can drive them like a normal car just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Doug View Post
    Thanks
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CRZN 427 View Post

Regards, Rick.

I fully agree with CRZN 427. At the end of the day, it's just a car. Mind you, no stability control, no launch control and most with no ABS. Powerful, lite and short wheel base can be tricky. So when starting your wife off, or any new driver including yourself, consider the following. Take is easy. Get comfortable with how the car feels and drives at normal speeds. Then step it up a little. Find a big empty parking lot and feel the straight line power. Is the engine powerful enough the break the rear tires loose if you kick it down say at 50 mph? Good thing to know if you're giving someone a quick pass on the highway. OK, now you know how fast it'll accellerate. Now, stand on the brakes and see how fast it'll stop. How much effort is required to lock up your brakes. Then, in the same empty parking lot, from a stop, turn the steering wheel half a turn, rev up the motor and drop the clutch. Let off the gas after the second donut. NOTE TO SELF....Don't do this when exiting the lot onto the street. The outcome might be very embarrassing (until you know what you're doing).
    The more time any new driver can put behind the wheel, the better.

Also, you may be surprised that your wife is a better driver than you. No testosterone. Probably a smaller ego.

If you're afraid of the car.....sell it before you kill someone. Gain the respect for the car's capabilities and understand you're driving abilities. After that, have the time of your life and enjoy.