Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Spark Plug Cross Reference for Champion RC12YC to NGK and Autolite

Post Thanks / Like

Spark Plug Cross Reference for Champion RC12YC to NGK and Autolite

My Engine was a professionally built 331 stroker with Edelbrock Pefermer RPM heads. The Edelbrock web site states to use Champion RC12YC or equivalent. I looked at a Cross Ref for NGK and came up with BKR5E and BKR5E-11. Does anyone know what the difference of these two are with or without the -11 ?

OK, I found part of the answer on a NGK site the - 11 means gap size in mm. = 1.1 mm or .044 in sae
    sounds like quite a large gap but maybe its a fatter spark ?

They come pre gapped at .040

Maybe another Brand is a better choice.
    Last edited by mcwho; 04-12-2017 at 05:11 PM.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't really find a lot of difference between the BKR5E and the BKR5E-11, the -11 is listed as V-Power, and the BKR5E is listed as Pro V. The "V" just describes the tip with a V ground in it. I have never used NGK so I have no pros or cons. Have you had bad luck with Champion or Autolite in the past? Autolite 3923-3926 (maybe more) are listed as equivalent to the Champion and NGK. I had the the exact same Champion RC12YC in my supercharged 360 (Dakota) and then switched to the Autolite 3923 which have a cooler heat range for boosted or sprayed motors. Using that same plug for 10 plus years. I think the Autolite 3926 would be good for your application, unless someone else chimes in with better/ more information.
    Mark IV 7923 arrived 11-14-12
    DOHC 4.6L, Tremec 3650, 3 Link 8.8 w/3.73

Post Thanks / Like
    Years back I had bad experience with NGK, will never use them again. Stay away from all the gimmick spark plugs (split tips, multi ground,etc.) just use a good brand name plug. Don't think you can wrong with either Champion or Autolite.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just picked up a set of Autolite 3924 plugs from NAPA, the cross ref to the Champions that were in the engine. the Champion no is RC12YC
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.